What Can I do ???

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Finally have angel eggs and heres the problem. There in a 120 gallon tank and attached to the tube from the canister filter. Of all places,lol.. Now how can I avoid them being sucked up into the tube if they happen to hatch. Let me tell ya there has to be over 200 eggs. Mom and dad are doing a great job guarding them. The outlet pipe where the eggs are is covered for approx. 4 to 6 inches of eggs..

Should I shut the canister filter down or can I cover it with say a piece of nylon stockings. This is the 1st batch for these 2 angels.

Could I take the eggs off and put them in a smaller tank or should I just go with the flow here.

John

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi John,
Congrats on the eggs. You could put nylon over the intake of the tube or you can get a sponge to put over it. Getting the eggs off the tube right now would be really hard to do since they are like glued to it. When they start to become wigglers in about 60 hours you could try to knock them off into another container. Wait for Butterfly or Isabella though before you do anything. THey will know what to do for sure. Good luck with your eggs..

Heidi

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You might be able to siphon them off and into another container when they become wigglers. I have also waited until they become free swimming and then removed them.
The longer they are in the tank the more chance they will be eaten. Mom and Dad will sometimes be so stressed that they eat them and thats not a habit you want them to get into. Keep us posted!
Carol

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank You very much ladies for the help and suggestions. Well I got good news and bad news.. More than half the eggs are gone,but there are still more than 200 there. Some of the better news is most of them are translucent,with only about 20 of them that are white eggs,they went up to the fish god Pisces..

I tell ya one thing, these parents are quite miserable as they chase everything in sight,even me, when I go to feed the tank. What a great way to get another tank,lol.. just for the little ones.

I'll keep ya's updated when there wigglers.

John

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
if you are really wanting to save the eggs you could try and put a tank divider up to help the parents out by keeping the other fish at bay..... my boyfrind made me one out of a small screen and cut it down to fit the tank.. or you could buy one... that way the tank will still filter but the other fish won't be able to come near your angels and eggs... just an idea.....
Good Luck....

Heidi

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh well their all gone.. Momma and big daddy ate the eggs. One thing is I did was go out the night before and get a 20 gallon tank just for these 2. Right after I picked off all the white eggs, within 3 hours they had a feast. Maybe they were made at me for doing this and retalliated.

John

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
skippi said:
if you are really wanting to save the eggs you could try and put a tank divider up to help the parents out by keeping the other fish at bay.....  my boyfrind made me one out of a small screen and cut it down to fit the tank.. or you could buy one... that way the tank will still filter but the other fish won't be able to come near your angels and eggs... just an idea.....
Good Luck....

Heidi
Heidi,

Thanks for the idea ,however it's nearly impossible for me to get a divider in there. The tank is covered with caves,drift wood and rock formations throughout the entire bottom. Needed these hiding places for the clown loaches. catfish and the Pleco.

John

At least now the 2 angels will have their own little tank to do their thing.

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this. More eggs again, this time on the other outake tube to the other canister filter. Heck they did'nt even give me a chance to cycle the 20 gallon tank for them.

Is this normal for angels to lay eggs 7 to 8 days apart??

John

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mine did that a couple of times then they waited like 2 weeks between... now it has been almost 2 weeks since they had any eggs.

Heidi

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well after 2 egg batches they just done it again this afternoon and yep in the 120 gallon tank. I had them in the 20 gallon but I guess they did'nt like it in there.

So here I am putting up a tank divider in the 120 gallon and I just get finished placing the lights back on the top of the aquarium and I look and here the 2 angels ate them all in a matter of 10 minutes. So now they are 0 for 3.

What I found here for a tank divider was an undergravel filter plastic bottom for a 55 gallon tank which I never used. So I'm just going to let it there for 2 weeks and see what happens The only other fish on there side of the tank are the 2 loaches,2 catfish and the Pleco and they mainly stay in under the big rocks and the caves I put in there.

They better get it right the fourth time,lol..

John

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom