What can I do to upgrade my tank so my fish are happier?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by h2owill, Dec 16, 2012.

1. h2owillNew MemberMember

What should I do to make my fish happier? I have a 30 gallon tank, sufficient filter and heating already. I have four adult platies, one adult molly, and one baby platy. Should I get an algae eater? Snails? What about more mollies or platies? How many? I am adding a cave for Christmas so that should make them happier too. Does a bubble wall in front provide adequate aeration with the volcano and castle bubbling too? What about everyone's thought on the API Nexx Filter too? I am a newbie fish keeper and just want the absolute best for my fish. I know a lot of questions but I am extremely curious and do not want to lose another fish. :(

photo.JPG

2. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967Valued MemberMember

Dont know if it makes fish happier but a background would look good on your tank.;)

3. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

You could add some live plants :) Start easy with java fern, anubias and/or some other low-tech plants. If you want the bubble wall for aesthetic purposes then go for it, but I'm sure your filter provides enough disturbance. Am I correct you have 2 other bubblers? (you mentioned the volcano and castle) I'd say pick one, all three may be too much. (someone with more experience can chime in on that, I dont use bubblers)

If you have a good amount of algae growth you could add a snail or group of otocinclus after you're tank is a bit more established. Welcome to Fish lore and the hobby! :;hi1

4. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

yeah i think a background might make them feel safer. maybe some more tall plants for that back right corner.

real plants are really the only thing that i think will actually make them happier and healthier.

you can add some snails they will help to clean the tank.

its best to only have one male to every 3 females with platys so make sure you dont have more then one male. if you do get some more females.

canister filter will deff help keep the tank cleaner. never used the nexx filter so cant comment.

5. OP
    OP
    h

h2owillNew MemberMember

My fish swim through the bubbles and seem to enjoy it so I'm not going to change what they love! But I love the idea of real plants, I think driftwood with a java fern would be a nice addition at Christmas, thanks for the suggestion because now I am going to do it.

6. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I'd suggest an Eheim 2213. It's what I plan on getting for my 29. It's a great filter.

7. SentientMeatNew MemberMember

Pristine water conditions through regular water changes and a varied diet seem to go a long way in keeping them active and happy.

I totally agree with the addition of the live plants and driftwood. There are plenty of easy to care for plants that won't need additional equipment.

8. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

water changes regularly, don't over feed and give them good night kisses!

9. OP
    OP
    h

h2owillNew MemberMember

Ok, so I feed them Aqueon Tropical Fish Flakes once a week. What else should I add to their diet to vary it?

10. luke355027355027Well Known MemberMember

Frozen blood worm or brine shrimp would be a good twice a week supplement. Just make sure to soak them for 20 minutes before you put them in

11. SentientMeatNew MemberMember

Only feed them once a week? If so, may want to try small portions once/a day... Easier on them than one big feeding/week, I would assume.

12. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

13. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

Get new life spectrum foods. They have flakes and many diff sizes of pellets. Pellets are much better then flakes. Also like said frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. I like to feed once a day maybe skip a day every so often.

14. OP
    OP
    h

h2owillNew MemberMember

I like my once weekly feeding, keeps fish healthier and live younger while keeping tank cleaner. But supplementing once a week with shrimp or the like sounds awesome. Thanks! Next time at Petsmart will buy. I will look into top floating plants. My fish don't see pellets at bottom so I can't feed them those . :/

15. soltarianknight

Doubt that. Seriously doubt that. Most fish in the wild eat at least every other day, the minimum for a regular feeding schedule should be at least 3 times a week. Live-bearers are big eaters too. The tank should be clean, bottom line. Regular water changes in a cycled tank should keep it clean with regular feeding.

16. OP
    OP
    h

h2owillNew MemberMember

Petsmart employee only feeds her fish once a month, but she said once a week is a better schedule. She said they will eat algae for the days I don't feed them

17. chenay83New MemberMember

Once a week is not enough. Never listen to the employees at that place. Employees there hardly ever know what they are talking about, if you find one that does, cling to him/her for dear life because you got lucky.

18. OP
    OP
    h

h2owillNew MemberMember

Then why do they work at Petsmart? LOL

19. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

You are far from the first to ask that question here Will :/

20. soltarianknight

Because they need jobs? Petsmart DOES NOT CARE about your pets, most of their employees don't even have fish or animals. They have a tendency to lie to sell product, and if you think they arn't told by their superiors to lie, your mistaken. They only know what they are told to know. once a month, your fish would be DEAD.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice