What Can I Add?

1. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Hi guys! I have a 10g tank thats been up and going for about a year now. I have a male betta and a snail in it currently. I was wondering what other fish i could add in (if any). Thanks!

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

You could add another snail or shrimp, but you really need 20 gallons for a betta community.

3. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Ok thank you! I wasnt sure if i could do a few fish or not. Good thing i asked you guys or else i would have made a mistake and got some!

4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I agree.
    Depending on your beta's temperament you could do this
    1 Betta
    1 Nerite snail
    1 Rabbit snail
    6-8 Amano shrimp
    10-15 Cherry shrimp

5. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Ok thanks! Ill get some shrimp :) if he is to agressive with the shrimp i have a spare tank i can put them into

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Shrimp would be best, but you if your Betta is peaceful you could add some Corys or Ottos.

7. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

not in a 10g , to small for corys and ottos.

8. Secret Oasis Member Member

Keep an eye on the betta when adding those shrimp my betta hunts cherrys but leaves amanos alone.

9. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Had 3 small corys in a ten gallon for 3 years until I upgraded the tank. And I have a pair of ottos who are living happily for 4 years now in a 5 gallon with shrimp

10. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Cories and otos are both schooling fish which should be kept in groups of 6+. They also both need 20 gallons+

11. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

you've never really experienced their true personalities being kept in a 5g and in a small group. They need a 20g at the very minimum and group of 6+ and imo ottos do much better in even larger group.

12. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I have a group of six peppered in my 30 gallon and they have little to no difference in there personalities, then the pandas when they were in the 10 gallon

I have kept small groups and large groups of both all of them were always perky and active all the time. And the Ottos from the small group actually live a year longer than the ones from the large group

13. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I'm not going to debate with you , whether you want to go with whats right or not that's up to you. Ive stated my opinion and youve stated yours. The end.

14. goplecos Well Known Member Member

cool