What Can I Add

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FUN FISH, Apr 7, 2017.

1. FUN FISH

FUN FISHNew MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon tank that's ben cycled with one Molly one beta and one platy have started to see a little bit of brown algae. would adding a mystery snail help, could I had a Cory catfish, would adding a moss ball help, is there any fish I can add?

Thank you in advance

2. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

You can't really add anything.

If it's brown algae, it's more than likely diatoms that can be cleaned with almost anything.

They go away in time.

Adding plants into a system does help with algae, but it takes more than a moss ball to really make a difference. If you want to get into planted tanks, we can help with that!

You have pretty severe stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them. :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Brown is most likely diatoms. Some fish eat those. Best to just yank plants and decorations and clean them outside the tank. For tank glass. I take a paper towel, start at the bottom and swoop up and out of the tank. Throw the paper towel away, get another and repeat. (I rip my paper towels so I'm not using as many) If you clean surfaces inside the tank, the diatoms will simply re-attach.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Mollys are actually good biofilm-algae eaters, they mostly eat algae in the wild. I see mine eating the biofilm at the glass and cleaning out my plant leafs.
    Corydoras suck at eating algae in my opinion.
    I dont know if a moss would help, it makes sense wanting to add plants so they outcompete the algae but I dont think a moss ball would be enough. Is your aquarium recieving sunlight? Are you overfeeding?
    And I agree with LoreKeeper, you have major stocking issues (fish are incompatible) and you should worry about those first than about algae, we can talk with you and offer solutions that way all your fish do happy and well.

5. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Corys aren't algae eaters and mystery snails don't eat algae either.

Decreasing the hours of tank light, increased water changes/filtration and scrubbing the algae off yourself would be more effective. If you want a little help, nerite snails are more effective as algae eaters esp in this tank size.

6. OP
    OP
    FUN FISH

FUN FISHNew MemberMember

Ok what are my stocking issues

Yes I do want to a do planted tank

The algae is minor (only a speckling on the front glass and light) my lights are on for 12hrs a day

Thanks guys

7. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Well, both the molly and the platy need 20 gallon tanks (some would even say a 29 for the molly, and some would say 10-15 for the platy).

I'd either get a bigger tank, or rehome the molly and platy.

Some would also say you have temp issues, as mollys and platys really do better with cooler water (sub-tropical, although they can tolerate warmer) while bettas do best around 78-82F (some people keep them at 84F!).

If you want to do a planted tank, we're gonna need to know what light you have, as well as whether or not you have liquid fertilizer.

8. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

A group of 3 platys should be good in a 10 gal in my opinion. Mollys are another game, 20 gal minimum, but the longer (not necessarily bigger) the tank is the better. This means that your Mollys would appreciate a long tank rather than a tall one. I kept 6 Mollys in a 36 gal and they were swimming back and forth all day, really using the space. I had to move 2 fish back to the 10 gal, my females, because I had 2 females and 4 males which clearly would not work (Mollys are very horny fish and would probably stress out the females) and it is kind of clear that they miss the swimming space. I am gonna upgrade soon to a bigger tank to house my Molly mommas haha.

Bettas are agressive, I am kind of surprised he hasnt bullied your fish, Bettas can work with Platys in bigger tanks but in a 10 gal, that sounds unthinkable.
    I agree, rehome the Molly and the Platy, after that you can work on your aquascape as your Betta will love to have plants.
    Make sure to read before buying any plants, some plants may look cute but those cute plants may need high light, liquid fertilizers, good substrate and CO2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice