What can I add?

1. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

So I am in the process of buying a tank. It is 29 gallons, and comes with a penguin 150b filter, but I will be adding another 150b filter. So I plugged in the following in on aqadvisor and it is 101% stocked and is 125% filteration.
    1 apistogramma
    1 German blue ram
    2 bumblebee gobys( positive these are freshwater)
    1 dwarf gourami
    1 swordtail
    6 cherry barbs
    4 Pygmy Cory's
    3 guppys
    So I also added a pictus catfish and it put the stocking and filteration up to 114% each. So I was wondering, because many people said aqadvisor always puts it overstocked while it is still under stocked. If the pictus grows too big, what is another catfish or bottom dweller around 5 in.?
    Also, could I add a scarlet badis or peacock gudgion?

2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Scarlet badis would either hide the whole time, or be eaten, or both. I don't have experience Peacock gudgeons, but I think you're already a bit overstocked. They're also likely to have feisty temperaments. If you get rid of the guppies, you can get a few more cories, which would prefer to be in a larger school. Be aware that the bumblebee gobies and cories may get eaten by the ram, apisto, or DG.

I'm mostly worried that you're going to have aggression issues. The ram and apisto are likely to clash. If you want a catfish, go for a bristlenose, rubberlip, or clown pleco. They'll all stay fairly small, but they'll have larger bioloads than your other fish.

3. OP
    OP
    F

Thank you for the input. I was looking for more of a bottom dweller instead of a algae eater, but I may just to with a clown pleco. As for the rest of the stock, I guess I'll skip the scarlet badis and the peacock. So the reason for the guppy is my lack of top swimmers. But I may skip that, and add 2 Cory's and 1 cherry barb. And for the aggression, I'll have 3 caves, driftwood, and a "jungle" of 15 or so fake plants. I was also thinking about if I didn't add two Cory's and a cherry barb, could i add a keyhole cichlid? Or Mabye a kribensis?

4. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

No keyholes or kribs. You already have 2 cichlids, and if they don't have territorial issues, I'll be surprised. There's no reason to increase that risk. Stick with 6 cherry barbs too; even numbers do better because the pecking order or more evened out.

Consider live plants. They make tanks look nicer, keep the water cleaner, provide more hiding places, and grow on they're own... you don't have to buy new plastic ones all the time.

5. OP
    OP
    F

I have been considering live plants. However, this is my 1st large aquarium and I don't want any extra challenges. As I am attempting some aggressive species. Also, could I not do the apisto and do a krib? Because unlike kribs better, but have heard they are more aggressive. So here's what I'll do
    1 apisto/krib
    1 gbr
    1 dg
    1 swordtail
    5 Pygmy Cory's( Julli if I can't find pygmys)
    6 cherry barbs
    2 bumblebee gobys
    1 guppy
    1 clown pleco
    And 2 nitre snails and 10 or so shrimp( probably ghost shrimp)
    So I believe I am fully stocked there, how that sound? And could I possibly do a pictus catfish instead of pleco?

6. T

TheFishAddict Valued Member Member

If i were you, I would be figuring my stock out alot slower. I rushed thorugh my stock and now regret figuring it out and filling up my precious and expensive space so quickly.

7. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

The little pygmy cory likes to be in big groups. 6 to 8. I wouldn't put two types of cichlid together in a 29 too small. And probably no gourami with a cichlid either. The cichlid will chew his barbles right off. If you're still planning on a few cichlids than you've gotta have more than two caves and a jungle. More caves. A lot more caves. Once a fish is out of sight to the bully it has given up. If there aren't enough caves the picked on one can't hide. That's when a fish gets bullied to death.

If you pick one centerpiece, dg or a cichlid, 6-8 pygmy cories, 6 cherry barbs, and the gobys I think you should be able to have guppys too. I agree with nippybetta. Live plants are really good for the health of your fish. I have mbuna. They don't have many plants in their biome but they love the live plants in my tank.

8. JDcichlidlover

Too much aggression. Too little of a tank. Pictus cats get too big for a 29. Pictus also like being in schools.
    1 guppy? I think he'd be super scared with all those other bigger fish around. He'll probably just hide.
    Kribs like live plants and don't bother them.
    Swordtails will pick on the dg just like the cichlids

9. OP
    OP
    F

Ok, we'll I have been planning this for a while and I can add more but I can get 4 or 5 caves. I really want to try my hand at the apisto-dg-German blue ram combo. As for the swordtail, I have never heard of them being any aggressive. So I think I wil try those 4, 2 bumblebee gobys, 6 cherry barbs, 4 or 6 Pygmy Cory's, and 3 guppys.
    I may just not go with a dg, but what could I replace him with, a Bolivian ram?

10. OP
    OP
    F

Can you explain what you mean? What happens in yours?

11. JDcichlidlover

If you just want an aggressive tank i'd go with african cichlids. You're gonna need a 55 at least but you can have all sorts of aggressive species. I wouldn't put 3 aggressive territorial fish in a 29 together. Why don't you pick your favorite of the three and do a breeding pair? That would probably work the best if you want more than one cichlid.

12. OP
    OP
    F

I have thought of that too! But I decided I don't eat to deal with the baby's and aggression. Also, I don't want an all agressive tank. I just want a few larger fish
    Sorry, I'm new at this and want this to turn out successful and good looking. Do you think I could do the 3 if I provided enough territory for them? If I upgraded to a 37 or 40, would I have a more options? But I'm not sure ill be able to go that big.

13. JDcichlidlover

With a 40gal you could probably do 2 successfully, as long as you do well defined territories. I still wouldn't do all three. Pick a ram and an apisto, two rams of different species wouldn't like each other because of similar body shape. It will still look beautiful and successful if you just do one. They're considered centerpeice fish. So you'd only want one in reality. Lots of small schooling fish make the tank look wonderful too.

14. OP
    OP
    F

So I might go with the following
    1 apisto
    1 German ram
    1 swordtail
    2 bumblebee gobys
    4 Pygmy Cory's
    6 cherry barbs
    3 guppys
    And then could I try either a scarlet badis or adding a honey gourami because they are less aggressive?

15. JDcichlidlover

Any type of gourami will be picked on by the cichlid. I think someone else said that scarlet badis will be eaten. I would up your schools. Cories like big schools. And if they don't feel safe they hide. So 6 cory. More guppies. 5 or 6. I'm still not sure bout adding a swordtail. Pretty sure they like schools too. One won't be happy. The aqua adviser. Doesn't usually take aggression into account. It just looks at bioload.

Your stock looks fine. Just up the numbers and either add more swordtails or drop them completly. Your tank will look awesome with big school of cory runnin on the bottom, the guppies up top and barbs swimming midsection. And of course your cichlids that will be everywhere. I'm still warning you on aggression though. Id rather drop the ram or apisto and add another school of something.

16. OP
    OP
    F

I really appreciate your advice. I think I will start with the apisto, and after a few months decided on a ram or what not. As for the res of the stocking, how it sound
    1 apisto
    1 swordtail
    1 German blue ram
    6 Cory's
    6 cherry barbs
    3 guppys
    2 bumblebee gobys
    And I have been told and have heard many different things about swordtails. They can be solitary but also like groups of 3? Many people have said their 1 swordtail was very active and happy, but I'm not sure that Is correct. But if it needs 3, could I add 3 females? I'm really sad about the gourami, and is there not a way I could as him?

17. JDcichlidlover

Probably not. Not with a cichlid anyway. Females usually get along best. Again, more guppies or they'll just hide. Just make sure you add slowly. And add the apisto last. You don't want to kill them all with new tank syndrome. I don't know if u have a water test kit but get one of those and make it cycle with the barbs before you add more fish. I would go barbs, cycle, cory, cycle, guppies and swordtail, cycle, and gobys and the apisto last. And a cycle doesn't take a day. It usually takes about a week to cycle. Unless you have a buddy who has a well established tank, ask for some of his filter media and it'll cycle faster. You MUST cycle to have a successful tank. It is extremely important.

18. OP
    OP
    F

Thank you. A d I do know what cycling is. So I didn't know I could barbs to cycle though, I thought only danios. Anyways, so I would get the tank and then let it run a few days. I'd add the barbs then wait 2-3 weeks. And then if go as you stated. But as for the cichlids, would getting both females help? And I think I'll Mabye not get guppies if I find something I could do that I would like better. But even if I did the guppys, Mabye 5, could I add 2 extra swordtails?
    If not, I think I may just do 5 guppies because I could get different colors( red, yellow, blue, etc.)
    So overall, how does this sound, and this will be the stocking order
    6 cherry barbs
    6 Cory cats
    1 swordtail
    5 guppys
    2 bumblebee gobys
    1 apisto
    1 German blue ram
    And I still want something to put instead of a gourami, any suggustions of a 2inch or so fish that is solatary?

19. JDcichlidlover

Yeah. You might have more luck with female cichlids. That stock looks great. Don't forget that a lot of those fish are schoolers and feel more comfortable the bigger the school is. Oh saw ur comment about shrimp. The cichlids will eat the shrimp. They will be gone. Matter of day. An expensive snack. Lol.

20. OP
    OP
    F

So as for now Ill leave my stock at that or use that to go off of. So Mabye I eons do shrimps or at least till later. And as for another fish, I really like loaches. Are there any that do well alone or in pairs? Or Mabye some ottos, because I may not get a clown pleco. I really appreciate your patients and positive suggustions!