What can I add to my platys?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MandaPanda, Dec 4, 2012.

1. MandaPanda

MandaPandaNew MemberMember

I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank set up with 5 platys (2 panda, 2 bumblebee, and 1 red wag) with 3 peppered corys. I would like to add some more colorful community fish to befriend my platys:) I was thinking about mollies, but someone mentioned to me that they require a little salt in their water, and I don't want that to affect my platys or Cory's. Any suggestions?

I was also thinking about kuhli loaches, I LOVE their looks, and I have a slate cave that they would love. Anyone have experience with these as well?

Thank you in advance!!

><> ><> ><>

2. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Personally I wouldn't go for two types of livebearer in the same tank unless it is huge ofc.

3. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Hello and welcome to Fishlore!
    I would up your cory school to 6, they'll be more comfortable that way imo. Once you've done that the bottom should be pretty busy so I don't know that kuhlis would be a good idea.

4. AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

Three more cories, and a honey gourami?

5. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Mollies prefer some salt, but do not require it. However, they are too large for a 20g, and produce an even bigger amount of waste XD

If you want to get the kuhlis, you'll need to switch out the cories. If you want to keep the cories, a school of 6 is to be recommended.

6. OP
    OP
    MandaPanda

MandaPandaNew MemberMember

Thank you all for the advice, I've decided to get some more corys so they feel at home :)

7. Donnerjay

DonnerjayWell Known MemberMember

:sign0016: to FishLore!