What Can I Add To My 55 Gallon Tank? Question

1. AquaNoob Member Member

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Angelfish need warmer water than glofish tetras and BN plecos.
    Angelfish would eat ghost shrimp or harass them to death

You could do this and keep the temperature about 73f
    10 Glofish tetras
    1 Dwarf gourami or 1-4 honey gouramis
    1 BN pleco
    12 Neon tetras
    1 or 2 Bolvivian rams
    10 Ghost shrimp
    15 Amano shrimp

Or keep the temperature about 80f and do this
    12 Rummynose tetras
    12 Cardinal tetras or 10 Cherry barbs
    2 Angelfish
    1 or 2 GBR
    1 Clown pleco
    3 Nerite snails

3. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

The Glofish tetras and the BN pleco would need cooler water than the angelfish, I'd do one of the stock mentioned above.

4. AquaNoob Member Member

You guys are thinking of the GloFish danios

(GloFish Tetra) is what I'm talking about. They have a safe temp of up to 80 degrees F, and I could easily just lower the temperature a little bit more (to 80 degrees F) and the Angelfish would be fine with it.

Also, I could add the Dwarf Gourami at 80 degrees too, right?

5. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

The Glofish tetra (skirt tetra, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) is a cool water fish too. 80 is too warm for them.

6. AquaNoob Member Member

Surprised they aren't dead, previous owners had them at around 88 degrees letting the water incubate for days on end.

7. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

They won't die suddenly, they will just have their lifespan shorten.

8. AquaNoob Member Member

Oh. So I can keep it at 80 degrees, nice. How much will a temp like that shorten their lifespan?

9. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

80 is still to warm for them, so not nice. As for how much their life would shorten, I don't know. Maybe @Anders247 knows.

10. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Why would you keep them at 80f if you know it is bad for them? Skirt tetras need 76f or cooler.

11. AquaNoob Member Member

Dude it's a 4 degree difference

12. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

It's a pretty big deal, actually. Please just learn. There are many good reasons. The glofish website may say 80 is in range, but they say this to SELL FISH. That's actually out of range. Fish kept out of their temperature range, or even at the extremes of their range will be:
    1. Uncomfortable (imagine keeping your house at 95 degrees all the time)
    2. Stressed
    3. Susceptible to disease and infections
    4. Unable to digest their food properly
    5. Unable to regulate all sorts of metabolic functions
    6. Short-lived, because of all of the above
    7. Likely many, many other things that haven't been discovered yet.

Please listen to the friendly, helpful members who are trying to help you. They know what they are talking about.

You may or may not be experienced enough to see the toll you are taking on your fish, but really, why would you not want to do what is best for them? Good luck!

13. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

That's 4 degrees above their maximum temperature. It's 7-8 degrees above their ideal temperature. bopsalot has given some good information.

14. Prism Well Known Member Member

That is still not right to keep them in a 80f degree tank, always keep it on the right temperature. For your stocking, I would not even get shrimp with angel fish, because angel fish love to feed on bottom wastes, and might get hold of the shrimp. @Anders247 could really help, I've seen him stock previous tanks, and did a great job. I say...

x2 Angelfish,
    x12 Cherrybarb,
    x8 Rummynose Tetras
    x8 Sterbai Cory
    x2 Clown Plecos

rehome all the glofish. And that would be good!

I think that would be a good stocking! @BottomDweller is right about the glofish, of the temperatures. I almost forgot, that include driftwood for the clown plecos to eat off of.

15. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

In the meantime, I would suggest reducing the temperature to 77 or so. Maybe even 76. The angels could tolerate that. Not ideal for any of the fish, but would be a big improvement IMO. Still I would not recommend keeping this stock together long term.

16. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Skirt tetras are fine for up to 77f. I wouldn't go higher than that personally. A few degrees difference is a big deal to fish, maybe not to you, but it's certainly a big deal to fish.

17. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The Op has been made aware of the temperature, there is no need for it to be repeated over & over, what the Op now chooses to do is entirely their decision.

18. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Lol i know this is off topic but I just wanna say I'm reading this and
    i feel bad for laughing the op is getting a lot of hate. Come on guys give him some slack he's new like me, @AquaNoob just talk to @Anders247 and @Katie13 they will help, they helped me pre plan my 55gallon so did a couple other people like @BeanFish, and @KinsKicks. If I miss someone my bad I'm not good at remembering things :(

19. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

No hate intended. We're all just trying to help. Personally, I think repetition is helpful if someone is showing signs of skepticism or obstinacy. But I bow to the moderator's judgement. No one is hating here, just trying to elevate people's awareness level. The OP was asking about stocking, as long as everyone is friendly, I think it's ok to address potential problems. I know I'm grateful to learn about any mistakes I may be making. But yeah, don't gang up or anything.

20. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Yeah I agree but just wanna make sure because he's only 13 and I was the same way (The worst stocker ever) and I just don't want him ganged up on we got to show how friendly the community is on fishlore!