What Can I Add To Make Tank Look Better?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by MissCap, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MissCapValued MemberMember

I have had this 55 gallon for over 1 1/2 years now. I want to add more stuff to make it look better. Add or subtract things. Except my son’s stuff he put in (jellyfish and nemo fish). I want more plants but unsure what to do. I have sand substrate and an LED light. I am on a super tight budget so anything cheap would be great. Thanks for any ideas.

IMG_3513.JPG

2. FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

I'd say more live plants and more substrate would look nice. Maybe rock piles in for hiding places, more light with a bluelight for the glofish, and then some corydoras catfish for a bottom dwelling fish.

3. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

paint the back black or a DIY 3D background

4. Comet-AurumValued MemberMember

5. AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

A nice big piece of driftwood! and some mosses :)

6. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Since you have white substrate I would go with play sand from lowes, it is cheap (i believe 12$ per 50lb bag). I would move the rock/decor in the very center to the right or left to make it look open there.

7. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Second on a giant piece of wood in there! Also some rocks piled up to the side

8. Kristian AcevedoValued MemberMember

Some piles of dragon stone would be sweet, they often look like little mountains, and provide lots of hidey holes for shrimp and what not. My fish also love to explore them, and pick things off of them, so it’s a win win for all parties

9. Little JohnValued MemberMember

I say it looks pretty good already

10. A. RozhinValued MemberMember

Before you add things, I would try regrouping thing -- Rather than spacing things out as you have them, sometimes it looks better to make little "clumps." A few items in a corner (you do this well in the left back corner), a few groups here and there, acting to frame a central area.

If you have something big (like your plant on the left is going to be), it can be your showcase piece--that's in the center, but still a little to the right or left, not DEAD center -- the eye loves asymmetry. Leave plenty of space around it so it's clear it's your main stage. Personally, though, my "showcase piece" is empty space, and then the showcase piece becomes my fish (they know it's their stage. They'll show themselves off).

When you add things, I personally would add more live plants, and when you do, you might want to remove one of the solid decorations for a one to one switchout, but wait and see what the plants you already have do. AND, when you buy a new plant, have a clear idea where you are going to place it (is it enough to stand alone? Would it be better grouped with a few stones? etc.). Just my two cents. Decoration is a highly personal thing.

And, I also think it already looks pretty good.

PS (I would totally find a way to plant real plants all around that flower pot so it is like a jungle cave. A couple of sword plants would be great for this).

11. 123Valued MemberMember

I have lot of coconut shells ;) easy to make and very natural decoration and cheep. I would also go for big piece of driftwood, black background and maybe some big seashells and some black rocks and live plants. I would take out some of the plastic plants and some decorations and turn it into a “beach” :D But maybe I’m just dreaming about vacation :cool::D I think it is very subjective :) I would just chose one theme and follow it.

12. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Tanks are 100% personal. Do whatever you like thats safe for your fish.

For me, if it isnt full of natural plants and driftwood, I dont like it. I want it to look as natural as possible. When we go into the pet shop and walk down the aisle with plastic decorations, my 10 year old always says, "How can people buy all this cheesy stuff for their tanks!?". He's been known to do it with others checking out said cheesy stuff. lol

13. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

14. A. RozhinValued MemberMember

For me, the first time I saw my fishes’ reaction to live plants, interacting with them, I knew that was how I would always decorate my tanks from then on. Also, very very healthy for the tank. But a mix is OK too I think. As has been said it is extremely personal and there is no wrong way.

15. AJ34Valued MemberMember

16. MissCapValued MemberMember

I do have a blue light I turn on at night to see the glofish do their thing.

I love corys. I had a school of 8 and then one by one they died off after having them for 6 months (water was perfect). I decided to do a school of khulis. I currently have 4 and am waiting for my LFS to get more. I do need to check if khulis and corys mix because I love them both.

Haha yeah. Personally I LOVE the all natural look. I got this tank and stand and decor for $5 so I decided to just wing it with what I had. My 4 yr old wanted all the cheesy stuff and I obliged because now he loves to watch the fish.

I am dreaming of an all natural tank someday!! Whenever I can afford it too.

Thank you for your input! I personally love the idea of the jungle cave around the pot. What kind of plants would you recommend? I have mostly fake plants. 2 anubis nana that are tiny and always end up floating. I need lowlight plants that are easy to care for.

Thanks! I will try shifting my decor around. I currently have pool filter sand in my tank. $5 for a 50 lb bag. I think I might need to add a little more now as it seems like I have lost a bit through water changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  17. AJ34Valued MemberMember

I am often shopping with my daughter so I let her help me to keep it fun and get her interested. Otherwise she won't participate in the hobby and I want her to be a part of it!

18. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

I normally have black diamond blasting sand (it is black, so it won't fit your look lol), black seems to strengthen/darken the colors of the fish so they stand out better.
    Kuhli and cory normally get along pretty well, but they can compete for food and you normally want a very large number of kuhli otherwise you never see them (they have a low bioload compared to other fish, but need a larger than cory group, so 10-12 is a good number for a shoal of them).

19. pugletfanWell Known MemberMember

You can tie your anubias to a rock or driftwood or any aquarium ornament. I use dark sewing thread for this. Anubias do better if they are not planted. If planted, only plant the roots , but keep the base part of the plant (the rhizome) above the substrate.

20. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

1. I YouTube learned how to superglue Anubis to things.
    2. I watched some YouTube videos on aquascaping which helped me target an off center focal point. I think this might allow you to change the things you have for a different look without a lot of cost. I have a mix of live & fake plants. I had to get a new package of fake plants & they helped a lot - I hadn’t realized how faded my old plastic plants had become.
    3. I would look for some floating plants to add. Right now I am trying to get some for my tank that have interesting roots (ie not duckweed).
    Looks like a fun tank!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice