what can go with cherry shrimp 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by jersey, Mar 25, 2010.

1. jersey

jersey Valued Member Member

id like to get a fish or two that can go with cherry shrimp and wont eat them. just wondering what works from everyones experience.

2. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I have Neon tetras with my shrimps and cories. (I have a dense planted tank)

3. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

You can see in my sig what I have in my 36g with cherry shrimp. The shrimp have actually been thriving and reproducing as much as my 5g species tank. I have seen the biggest (2.5") black skirt tetra take a shot at a shrimp that was free swimming, but for the most part they leave them alone. Plenty of hiding places and java moss really help with shrimp.

I did read somewhere that most fish will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, so fish with large mouths are usually not a good idea even if they are generally peaceful :). Don't know if that's scientific fact, but it seems true of my fish.

4. OP
    OP
    jersey

ok well my tank isnt densely planted yet im still working on it so it will have to be a species tank for them for a little while which i dont have a problem with. i dont really have any algea in there yet but i do have mosses. do i feed them algea wafers?

5. thequietman44

I feed mine the Omega One algae wafers, broken up into bits. I used to feed some other brand of wafer, but they started dying and I think it may have been the copper sulfate that is in almost all fish food. Some say copper sulfate is not harmful for invertebrates, but I still avoid it.

I also throw in some washed blanched zucchini which they make short work of :).

6. OP
    OP
    jersey

wow you have like 50 in a 5 gallon haha im getting a dozen for my 10gallon they are going to have a lot of leg room lol.

7. thequietman44

As long as they have a regular food supply and good water quality they will readily breed, so you'll end up with about 100 in a few months I'm sure :). Their population density seems to be directly related to the amount of available food, so I suspect with proper maintenance you could have 10-15 shrimp per gallon, though I wouldn't recommend it. I try to sell the surplus shrimp or give them to friends locally rather than let them get too crowded.

8. m

ming New Member Member

Sorry to hijack other people thread.

Can you sell me some? I want to start a nice little colony.
    Can you believe none of the LFS around Chicago carry it.

9. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

I've heard of bettas doing well with cherry shrimps :)

Yeah, I agree on that.

10. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Actually, even danios and most tetras shouldn't be trusted around them. From what I've seen, most cherry shrimp are about 0.5-0.75 of an inch long, and they're especially vulnerable when they're shedding. If you're getting some, I recommend a good sprig of Java moss. The moss need minimal light to grow, and the shrimp love it.

11. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Some fish that work well with red cherry shrimp are: Neon tetras, black neon tetras, white cloud mountain minnows, endler's live bearer (for a 10 gallon keep only males or only females [i suggest males though they are more colorful]) dwarf platy's(also only keep one sex), and any other small tetra really (under 1.5")

Endler's are kinda hard to find, DON'T keep endlers with guppies as it will muck up the species cuz they can breed together and the babies are fertile.

Hope this helps

Phil :)

12. OP
    OP
    jersey

yeah i was thinking i might get some neon tetras. what about harlequin rasboras? i like them more haha. i think they might get a little bigger than the neons tho. if not im fine keeping it a species tank i was thinking of just keeping the 10 gallon a planted tank with no fish but the shrimp are a nice little addition. ive added 12 cherry shrimp today they are really cute although they are still getting used to their new home and some are not very red.
    I have a few different mosses in this tank but no java. ive got christmas,singapore,tiawan and some flame one.

13. OP
    OP
    jersey

i also have sunset hygro, regular hygro, coffefolia anubias and saggitaria subulata.

14. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Harlequin rasbora would work fine! Reaaly nice fish by the way they school bietifully!

Phil:)

15. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Corys, Guppies, Fighters, Kuhli Loaches, Lemon Tetras & Cardinals all work with RCS. The baby shrimp will soon get eaten but anything over 1/2" will be safe as long as there is somewhere to hide. You won't see the shrimp much if you keep a Fighter in the tank but they will definitley survive quite well. I thought my Fighter had eaten all the RCS in his tank but soon after I relocated him yesterday, dozens of RCS started appearing. I've kept all of the other fish I listed with RCS at some point to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice