What CAN go in a 1 gallon tank?

1. JamesTosches Initiate Member

Is it possible to have ONE apple snail (Gold Mystery Snail) in a 1 gallon tank with undergravel filter and air pump? I have algea wafers and tropical fish food flakes.

2. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Hi James, I answered this very question in your other post about the apple snail.
    Basically, the anser is no, and I already described what they eat.

I said the only thing you can keep in a 1 gallon is shrimp. :)

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

4. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

:;laughing:clapping:

5. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry JT, but Laura is right. The only animal you can keep long term in a 1G is shrimp (many of us will use containers about this size for transport, but that's it: it's a car, not a house). I'm sorry if the LFS told you something different; many of us started out by making mistakes based on bad advice. I, myself, started out with 6 sick goldfish in a 20G tank. You could probably return your snail, if you can't get a larger tank for him.

However, I've seen some really exquisite 1G planted shrimp tanks; you should check out Jeri's Cherry Bowl, for one (it's a thread on the forum). Shrimp come in lots of different colors and patterns, and you can get some really striking plants. Also, I've noticed that shrimp tanks tend to look nicer than most fish tanks, simply because the shrimp spend all their time cleaning, rather than making a mess.

If cost is the issue, rather than space; look on craigslist. You should be able to find a used 10G fairly cheaply, and you can probably get a bunch of free stuff with it, like substrate, filter, air pump, etc. It'll also give you a few more stocking options.

Sorry you're not liking what you're hearing; but asking the same question over again in a different thread isn't going to get you a different answer. The answers you'll get on this forum, and on most others, are from years of experience, and will be fairly consistent, at least on this sort of a point.

6. JamesTosches Initiate Member

Thanks guys. I'll start looking for a 10 gallon tank immediately. All I really need is the tank itself,the lid, filter, etc. Thanks for all the advice.

7. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

Hey! I actually DO have 3 1G planted tanks with marimo moss balls and anubias nana (to be moved later)... They look cute. So there! :p

8. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Lol I just pictured this fuzzy little ball sitting in the tank, all by its lonesome.
    Then having Jaysee walk by and say, "Hey little buddy, are you hungry?" as he shakes a bottle of flakes over top of it. :;laughing

James, glad to hear you're looking to upgrade. You will have so much more fun with a larger tank. :)

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Here's my pet moss ball in a 2.5 gallon. Eventually it'll need an upgrade though.

Attached Files:

10. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I have the same barrels :D and also :;laughing

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I inherited the set from my ex.

12. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

oh you guys are bad.......

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Okay okay. Truth is, I AM really quarantining the moss in there.....but I added the barrels for the picture :)

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

ok ill bite, why are we QTing a moss ball?

15. LadyBug82 Member Member

what is a moss ball and what do they do for fishes?

16. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

it is actually something they play with on occasion, I notice mine has moved around the tank a few times.

They also help at nitrate removal from the water.

17. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi James welcome to FishLore!!
    As you can see sometimes threads take a weird turn. lol

Planted with shrimp is a good idea if you keep up with the water changes.
    And of course you could add a pet moss ball as the others suggested. :rolleyes:

Shrimp would like that. :)

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Because it came from petsmart :;smack

19. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

so..... I never QT'd my petsmart moss balls, then again they were in the tank with the fish.

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I also want to make sure that it's pond snail free. Really though, there could be parasites and such living on it, right? There's a certain amount of petsmart water the ball is holding, and I don't want to contaminate a tank because of a moss ball.