What Can Cause Gh To Rise? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Jenoli42, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

Hi team,

weekly test day. our established 250L fantasy bowfront still seems to have less than 5ppm nitrate. all other parameters are fine... except gH. (don't worry, we're cycled)

so, pH is about 7.3 (slightly bluer than 7.2 but not as blue as 7.4). the kH turns light yellow at 3 drops so i'm calling that 3.

I lost count on the gH after 10 drops. that's the highest our gH has been. we have oyster grit in the filter and a cuttlefishbone in the tank. i don't mind that level of mineral hardness, but it's just gone up a bit since last week and i'm curious as to what's causing it. I know it's "general hardness" for minerals, but our sources for an increase in this are limited.

we have 0kH, 0gH rainwater. so we use equilibrium and buffers on new water. but we haven't done a pwc in a few weeks because the nitrates have been so low and the fish are happy as larry.

(oops, i better not say that because we had a fish named larry that died...) :) but :(

we have fine silica sand as about 40% of the substrate and smooth black gravel as the rest. all of our decorations are fake, and our plants are silk. our filter is sunsun 304B UV.

2. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

The oyster grit and cuttlebone will both raise gh, and more so if you're slacking on water changes.

3. OP
    OP
    Jenoli42

yep, that's what i figured. can algae raise gH? i wouldn't think so, just curious.

i know the 2 buffers raise both kH and gH, and that's why i have them... and the pwc's in the other tank keep gH at 5-7*.

well, time to convince my partner we should start up small pwc's even though nitrates still below 5 :)

when in doubt, water change! :)

4. MissRuthless

Algae won't affect it.

Why are you so concerned with gh/kh anyway? Are you having ph swings? Trying to keep hard water fish (or soft water fish) or inverts? Most people don't need to mess with it at all, and doing so can cause more headache than it's worth. I keep mine up with cuttlebone for the benefit of my shrimp, but unless you need a certain hardness for what you want to stock, or your ph isn't stable, I'd leave it be. I'd think using rainwater and keeping the cuttlebone/oyster grit as buffers would be sufficient for most fish.

5. OP
    OP
    Jenoli42

oh, dear. you really don't want to know the answer to that because you've already sifted through a very long post of mine. :)

long story short: our first tank was resurrected in Dec. i didn't understand kH/gH/pH. our pH dropped from 6.4 to 6 or below. then i made the mistake of changing out 25% of the cycled bionoods. CYCLE CRASH. 13 fish slaughtered. 2 rainbows you've already read about also died 5 weeks later. ammonia up to 2ppm....daily 65% water changes...nightmare.

that's when we learned we had 0kH/0gH and our pH was swinging and inhibiting BB growth. that's when i got my honorary certificate in chemistry. lolz. adding just oyster grit had little impact. adding cuttlefish bone was the same problem because whenever we did water changes, we were adding non-buffered water.

anyway, i was just curious about gH because it jumped from 8 to 12+ in the course of a week. and i like to keep things stable. so! waterchange! yay! lolz. :)

6. MissRuthless

Yuuuuup. You're not the only one with that issue, as I'm sure you've learned! The only way I know to manage it without needing to add chemicals is, provided the grit and cuttlebone are enough to stabilize the ph, to keep your water changes very small (like 10-20%) and very frequent.

7. OP
    OP
    Jenoli42

we both work salaried jobs and have 2 kids who are 17 & 12 and play several sports. doing water changes more frequently than weekly (except in emergencies) just isn't in our ability. my family already decided i was fish obsessed over the holidays doing daily changes during the crash. so, that's why we use chemicals for new water. that way we can do 25-40% changes weekly depending on nitrates and have enough time to enjoy the tanks and each other :)

8. MissRuthless

Ahhh, I hear that. Gotta do what you gotta do I suppose. I can't imagine what I'd do if my tap water (or what I fill my tank with) wasn't good as is. I barely find time to get the python out once a week between work, parenting, parrot-parenting and the rest.

9. OP
    OP
    Jenoli42

well we just did 15% pwc and took out cuttlefish bone. I'll test gH tomorrow to see if I need to add it back. sterbai not impressed. that was their surfboard they dig around it in the sand lol :)

10. K

Kristian Acevedo Valued Member Member

Totally off topic, have you thought about going to real plants? Or is there a particular reason you like the silk? Just curious :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice