What can be kept with a Betta Question

1. GrumpyOldMan Member Member

I have a 10 gallon long time cycled tank that I use for my Male Betta. I thought he might like some company (actually my son did) so we added a Mystery Snail. In short, the snail died. Tried another, and he died too. Both were acclimated properly and there is no salt or medications in the water. Not wanting to kill another, my question is what else might I keep with the Betta?

2. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Not sure why your snail died. By any chance did your take them home in a bag full of water? Snails can actually drown if rehomed this way, they are best moved in a bag with now water. I work at my lfs and have done this many times, they are also shipped to us like that.

Bettas are solitary fish and I would recommend you leave him be however some snails would be fine.

Provided you have a sand substrate some salt and pepper or pygmy corys might do well.

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I generally recommend that if you want to do more with your betta tank, spend the effort on plants and aquascaping. The tankmates possible in a 10 gallon are really short and it will not make the betta any happier, more likely the reverse. But if it makes you happier you can put the one of the 3 pygmy/dwarf cory species as mentioned above. Tank is too small for regular cories. Snails are ok. Shrimp are ok if you have dense foliage, but it is possible the betta will snack on them anyway, depending on the betta.

There really are not many species that are ok in a 10 gallon even without the betta, despite the fact that people do try to shove them in these tanks.

4. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Seconded.

You could try a couple ghost shrimp. Super cheap and translucent so hard for betta to see? They are lots of fun.

Sorry about the snails though :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Mims Member Member

I had a co-worker watch my tank when I was out for a month following surgery. She decided the tank needed snails, so she went and bought 8-10 big mystery snails, I think they were. Needless to say, it made my betta furious, and he killed every one. She completely killed my tank, because the snails ate about $100+ worth of plants. Thank God my boy survived, but he will come home with me next time. Lesson learned.
    Maybe it's your betta killing them?