What Camera Do You Use?

1. Zoomo

Zoomo Well Known Member Member

I have no idea where to put this, I mean which subthread. Mods I am sorry if this is in the wrong place and please feel free to move it.

Anywho, some of ya'all's pictures are absolutely gorgeous. Mine are not, so was wondering how you do it?

I use a digital camera, a Canon PowerShot. If I use the autoflash, the pics come out like the water is green (think it is taking the wall color behind it (which is not green, but light brown in color), and making it appear green. If I turn the flash off, the pictures are very blurry. Also, if I zoom more, forget it, nothing will be clear.

Also, I notice my water has a hazy whitish hue to it that I swear is made to look that way by the hood light.

I probably can solve some of the green water looking if I put something on the back of the tank.

Does anybody have a not so expensive model of a camera they would recommend?

I will post 1 picture as an example of how mine come out.
    IMG_1106.jpg

This is with Autoflash off:
    IMG_1098.JPG

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I use a Canon EOS 200-D. I'm gonna upgrade soon to get some real nice photos.

It's $800, which is relatively cheap for a camera.

3. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Wow, that is alot.

4. Discus-Tang

Here are some photos of photos:

Btw I'll get the real files up one day. If you look at my media, they are all taken with the same camera :)

Attached Files:

5. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I use my j7 20180619_145827.jpg 20180614_161849.jpg 20180611_161937.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

I will check them out.

Nice.

So, for me 800.00 is not doable, at least not now. So, is there a cheapish camera that takes decent pics out there that one of you use?

My Powershot runs 250.00 new at Wally World, but I don't know.

7. Discus-Tang

If you have an iPhone 6 or better than you can still take decent photos.

Shot on iPhone 6:

Attached Files:

8. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

I use an iPad Mini, absolutely horrible for photos.
    I have to focus it for a long time before I actually snap the photo.

9. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

10. Sarah73

Thank you and yes! It's a Samsung j7. LOVE IT! Much cheaper than the iPhone's to.

11. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

My camera autofocuses, but doesn't do a great job of it. All I can say is it is driving me crazy, I keep playing with the settings. Thanks!

Might just buy one for the camera, LOL. So, is there something I should be looking for as far as megapixels or better autofocus?

12. Sarah73

For better autofocus you just have to find it yourself. You can zoom in, get closer, have light on, etc. You just have to play around with it until you find what works. Mine doesn't like things swimming everywhere so I try and focus on one fish. It works even when lots of fish are swimming around. Which is great but to focus you just click what you want to focus on and it will gladly focus on that one thing clearly. 20180611_094906.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

I did get a few good ones of the cory's. They like to stay for a bit when they see the flash. But generally, my pics are really bad. dd948d866faaf590651b89aba4c6eaf7338944be-1.jpg

14. Sarah73

The hardest fish to get pictures of is the rainbow fish.

15. shutterbug13

shutterbug13 Well Known Member Member

16. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

I can use my dad’s Nikon D90, but he hasn’t gotten it out yet.

17. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Thanks. Way too rich for my blood and it would probably take me a year to learn how to use it. I will look at the site but really don't know what to look for, what is good, what is bad, etc. I will google a bit.

Do dad a favor by helping him and getting it out for him. :)

18. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I use my iphone, mostly. I'm waiting for the day companies come up with a camera phone that can take DSLR quality pictures, without the hassel of actually learning to use a DSLR.

19. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

I use an I phone that shows how much cheaper I am than y’all

Attached Files:

20. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

I use a nikon d40. It’s about as old as I am lol.

I personally think that you don’t need an amazing camera as much as you need the skill tbh. Don’t get me wrong, you need to have a decent camera, but you don’t think you need to break the bank quite yet.

Have you checked second hand, that seems to always be cheaper.