What Came Out Of My Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lynn78too, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

My glofish has not been doing well for the last week then today we looked and saw something oozing out of her side. As soon as we saw it we got her out but I'm worried about the other fish and the tank being contaminated. I have been keeping an eye on her scales to see if it was dropsy and that's not what it ever appeared to be.

The other picture is of her last week when we first noticed her not looking too good.

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

I should add that after it dropped out, more has continued to come out.

3. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Holy mackerel! Can you take a photo after the deed's been done? I'd say it was severely constipated, but it doesn't look like poop. No idea what that is.

4. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I think it is the swim bladder and the organs attached to it, possibly. If not the is one big parasite or something. I think I'll have nightmares after seeing this, sorry for your fish!

5. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisher Well Known Member Member

Following; I'm too new to even speculate what that might have been!!

6. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Does it appear to be coming out of the side? Or from her anus? I was thinking maybe a ruptured cyst versus anything parasitic, but I have zero experience with this. Is she still in the tank with other fish? You need to have her in a separate hospital tank as soon as you can. Even a 2 gallon plastic container with a heater and airstone emergently will work until you get something more permanent. You don't want whatever it is to affect your other fish.

Calling Dr @CindiL

7. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

This is what has come out of the fish so far. The one with the black background was what came out initially, what was hanging out in the picture. What came out the second time is on the white plate. The one on the white plate felt "gelatinous" as my husband said. I didn't touch it, it looked like an oyster.She is up at the surface swimming at an angle pointing up and gasping for air. I couldn't tell exactly where it came from but I had thought it came from her side and not her anus. She is in quarantine, I had been in the process of scooping her out as my husband was taking video of the stuff coming out. For size reference on the second one, it is the same size as the first and you can see how large it was hanging off of her. She appears to have a hole/slit on her underside. :(

Attached Files:

8. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I agree it appears to be a ruptured cyst or abscess. I would treat with something antibacterial to get rid of any current infection, and to prevent a secondary one. Maybe a pinch of dissolved aquarium salt as well. It can aid in healing.

9. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Do you think the wound will heal? That was a huge cyst. Should I be concerned about the rest of the fish in the aquarium?

10. AngelTheGypsy

Since you have her in qt, I would definitely keep her there. And keep an good eye on the rest.

It may heal, you never know. My betta somehow injured his eye and his whole head swelled in less than 24 hours, to the point that his head was pineconing. I added epsom salt. His face kind of looked like a bird. The next day it had ruptured and the swelling was going down, and I started treatment with jungle fungus tabs. 8 days later he was back to normal! I swore he was going to die that first night, and then again the second night. There's a thread on it titled Ugh...now Arizona has popeye!

Not all have happy endings, but you just never know!

11. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Lol, popeye.

I wanted to also add my water parameters, I realized it's been a while since I've done my GH and KH which is most unfortunate so I don't have a baseline that would be accurate. Using API Test
    KH-4
    GH-12

Used API Master Kit, these numbers have been consistent for months.
    Ammonia-0.25
    Nitrites-0
    Nitrates-0
    pH-7.4

Using a digital meat thermometer (that I don't use for meat ;)). It's been this since the day I set up the tank.
    77.7 degrees

I also haven't changed the food, flakes with the occasional bloodworms or peas.

A slightly planted tank with poor substrate that doesn't allow for good growth. (Honesty is the best policy, right?)

12. AngelTheGypsy

You have never seen any nitrates? Do you shake bottle no 2 like shake n bake? Literally beat the mess out of it for 30 seconds (I beat it against my other hand) and then shake the tube vigorously for a full minute.

If you are doing that while testing and you are seeing ammonia and nitrate I don't think you are cycled. This *could be a reason for the fish to get sick, but not necessarily the reason for this.

What poor substrate? You can use liquid fertilizers and root tabs with plain sand or gravel to help the plants.

13. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, how is he today?

Do you have any antibiotics or methylene blue or malachite green (often in ich medicines).

what are your normal water changes like? how much? how often?

14. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

I've never seen any nitrates. I shake both of them but maybe I'm not shaking hard enough. I shake it more like you would an aerosol can, like 4-5 times, I'm not beating it by any means. Have I ruined the bottle for good by not properly mixing it up?

The substrate is a plain ole gravel substrate that my husband liked and bought. Yes, I use liquid fertilizers. I have staurogyne repens (that has made a very nice carpet), a slow growing annubias nana, some other slow growing plant and rotala indica that keeps growing. and 2 other things that were given to me as "freebies" but I don't know what they are.

Seems a bit better now than earlier. The stuff finally came out. She was breathing at the surface earlier but has stopped doing so and is now just hanging out in the middle of the QT tank. Glofish tetras are incredibly boring, at least mine are, and don't swim around too much, I can look over at any given time and it's like they're permanent fixtures of my tank so it's hard to tell if she's lethargic. She's swimming upright though.

I do a 30% water change weekly. Besides the KH and GH my water parameters are exactly the same as they have always been.

I don't know how it couldn't be cycled. After the waiting period, the tank has had fish in it for 9 months. I don't have algae and have and run an Aquaclear Power Filter 50, rated for tanks 20-50 gallons.

I was going to go to the store this afternoon to get medication. I have aquarium salt.

I am in the process of checking my nitrates again. This time I've shook it hard!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Well, that was interesting. I just shook the heck out of it and it showed nitrates as 5.0ppm. So, seeing that I apparently don't know how to shake things I can't trust the results BUT I do know that it's not 0.0ppm.

16. AngelTheGypsy

I was going to say if you weren't shaking it well, you could be getting a false 0, sounds like that was the issue. It would be really strange for you to not be cycled after this long, but things can happen to make you lose your cycle, such as certain meds or cleaning your filter media in tap water or changing too much or all of it at once.

Glad she is still doing okay, they can be tough little fish!

17. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I think that it was a ruptured cyst. The first goopy stuff was the contents and the second part was the sack or casing around the cyst. Which is a good thing. It shouldn't come back then. @CindiL can walk you through treating for open wounds. I've been trying to pay attention more so I don't have to tag her in every medical question. My guess is to treat with methylene blue to prevent infection while it heals, but please don't take my word on it. It is only a guess lol

18. CindiL

Ha ha thats ok but can definitely use more helpful advice with sick fish! There are so many of them every day.

How big is her qt tank?
    Ideally I'd pick up some Hikari Betta Revive, it has methylene blue, malachite green and neomycin. It will prevent infection and also will work as an antiseptic. In the quarantine tank you dose 8 drops per gallon and each bottle of betta revive only treats about 5 gallons so I am hoping her qt tank is small? You'll want to do a 50% water change every day (depending on the size) and replace what you've removed. I don't think salt will be necessary if you use that.

My second choice would be Kordon Methylene blue which is only the methylene blue but that along with some aquarium salt will also make a good antiseptic to leave her with. You can use it with 1 tsp aquarium salt dissolved.

Let me know which way you go and can help you further.

19. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

The qt is about 3/4 of a gallon so I've already been changing frequently. I'll call the fish store by us. It's pretty big, I'll see which they have.

20. CindiL

Oh ok, thats a perfect size as long as you're swapping out her water daily with new medicine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice