What bulbs would be best for Tek 6X T5 HO Question

1. Steve McKay Member Member

I'm scrapping my pc lighting.I've ordered the 36"6x39W Sunlight Supply Tek T5 HO fixture.Who makes the best bulbs and what type of bulbs are best for a reef Aquarium?

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Nice, I also have 6x 39W on my tank but I have a Nova Extreme Pro. The Tek lights are really high quality and I'm sure you'll like it.
    I've heard great things about Giesemann bulbs. Drs. Foster and Smith is having a $5.99 shipping promo right now so that might be a good option for buying your bulbs. I think I'm running 3 actinic and 3 10000K bulbs.

3. Steve McKay Member Member

Yes I've heard of them but forgot the name.This might be a stupid question but should I get the protective cover for the lights,if I take the glass canopy off to reduce heat?Yes I know what will happen if water hits the lights.I was just thinking about getting more light into the tank.

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I think you should get the protective cover. I run my tank open top and there are occasional splashes no matter how careful you are IMO. It can be something as simple as a fish coming up to feed that splashes a little water, stuff that is totally out of your control.

5. Steve McKay Member Member

I think your absolutely right,I have also found out that salt spray will get all over your bulbs
    and reflector pitting it.Some people said just wipe it off every couple weeks.No thanks,not for me.I'm using a cover,thank you.