What Bugs Are Good To Feed?

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have 2 golden wonder killifish and I want to feed them some insects from my yard as an occasional treat. The insect I can usually find are aphids, spit bugs, earwigs, ants, and earthworms(I already feed these to my catfish). Are these bugs good to feed to fish? Any suggestions or concerns?

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as theyre alive and you never spray pesticides in or near your yard anything should be ok.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I throw random small bugs into my tanks, and the Endlers polish them off fast. I would just hesitate about the earthworms unless you're sure that the fish eat them quickly.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And try and be cautious with earwigs; they kinda have those scissor-shaped things on their rear ends! Kinda sharp! I used to feed my Oscars earthworms and McDonald's hamburgers lol...it fattened 'em up good! Heh...

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I have a few Endler's as well, and I give them and my Platys small sized Fluval Bug Bites and gnats from the backyard. Endler's a really really super tough to find in any CO. lf's... : ( Only ever saw them once in this state...and there were only 4 left...some of the lfs "claim" they can't even special order 'em either... : (

Wobbegong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My catfish will always find the earthworms. Sometimes it takes him a little bit and my kribensis tries to eat it but the work is too big so he just ends up wrestling it until the catfish comes and swallows it whole.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah pretty much any larger fish LOVE earthworms! I used to have a HUGE Moonlight Gourami who actually ate some smaller earthworms heh...Giants just beat the Reds! Reds with a LOT of errors...lol...

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
One of the most natural and nutritious foods for many omnivores/carnivores are live crickets.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe a silly question, but do bugs sink? My apistos don’t top feed. I am guessing earthworms would but i think they’d be too big.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom