What brand of food do you like best? Goldfish

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Or rather, do your goldfish like best lol

I just bought my new little common goldfish, Magikarp, some Aqueon Goldfish Granules, but they are either too big for him, or he hates them... (I personally don't like Aqueon food or water conditioners from a past experience) I tried crushing them up, but they either crushed up so small he couldnt see them, or he spits them back out. I also tried soaking them in tank water, but he spit them out then, also. (Dont worry, I turkey basted all this food out of the tank lol).

So should I get him another brand of food? I want to get him Omega One Goldfish Flakes, but it was suggested that I get granules because they sink and encourage their natural rooting behaviour. I was also looking at TetraFin Goldfish Chips. What do you guys think about those? What other foods do you suggest?

Or should I just stop letting him be spoiled and make him suck it up and eat what he has?

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My goldies go nuts for Omega One sinking shrimp pellets and Ken's veggie pellets. They also love when I put some duckweed in their tank - it's gone before the end of the day.

Tetrafin is pretty low quality food. Omega One flakes aren't good because any flake loses nutritional value too quickly and it will cause the goldies to swallow air at the surface.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All I can find here in Omega One are flakes. I dunno what that's about. I hear there are pellets and stuff, but I can only find flakes here

Some one told me that I can sink the tank flakes by pushing them under the water with my finger (which I don't mind).

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks ^.^ Google isnt any help at some things lol

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One of those threads is one I started a while back and on the basis of that I switched to predominantly pellets. Only predominantly because some fish just don't seem interested in pellets. My serpae tetras spit out even the mini pellets but go wild for flake. My goldies, in an outdoor pond and by far the best grown and best breeders of my fish, often leave pellets but never flake. I have also been reading up a fair bit about discus feeding. Having produced some stunted fish, I am trying not to make the same mistakes again with them, and lots of discus afficianados advocate a variety, including flake! Interestingly some of the debate seems to centre around the fact that as flake absorbs water quickly it won't swell more in the fishes stomach so is supposedly better than pellet. Go figure! I'm going to stick with variety. Akari, your fish is new. Maybe it is just stressed. :

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I have added "Goldfish" into your title and moved your thread to the Freshwater Tank Equpiment/Fish Food section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd just go with a variety Akari. They don't have any weird dietary needs that you won't cover with your basic conventional fish foods.

I've had success with omega one flakes. I've had success with several types of flakes. Some are more h2o stable than others. You'll be able to tell which ones are not, as they lose their color and dissolve into mush rather quickly.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like all of omega one's food cuz they use real fish in it, not fillers. Like Jeta said a variety is always good.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the answers guys! I got him some Omega One Goldfish Pellets today (I actually found something Omega One that isnt flakes!). They are 1/2 the size of the Aqueon ones, so I think once he figures out that I just put some in, he will beable to eat them.

I will definitely mix it up. Now that I have a fish that will eat them, I have some Frozen Veggies from San Fansisco Bay that he can have, along with Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, and alae waffers.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads