What brand of flake food

peter
Just wondering what is the best brand of flake food to bye.

COBettaCouple
endymion500
I have never had any problems with tetra flake.

capekate
HI Peter,
I like to compare the ingredient lists on the back of different brands. What is listed first is what the product has the most of .. and then it goes down the list of ingredients usually from most to least.
Here are a list of some products that I have on hand,
Tetra Min- tropical crisps.
lists in order, Fish Meal, Dried Yeast, Corn Starch,Shrimp Meal,Wheat Gluten, Ground brown rice, potato protein. etc etc. Krill is like #17 on the list.
Same thing with the Tetra Color- Tropical flakes.
Wardley Essentials-cichlid
Seems to have a much better list of ingredients with Fish Meal, Fish protein concentrate, spirulina,shrimp meal, listed in the first 8 ingredients.
Other list to look at is the Guaranteed Analysis list. This shows you the percentage of things like.. crude protein, crude fat, crude fiber, and also what vitamins are present as well. Worth reading for sure, as they do differ from brand to brand.
One of my favorite brands of fish food is:
New Life Spectrum. The all purpose formual for example shows in the list of ingredients: from first ... Krill, Herring, wheat flour, algae meal, soybean isolate, Fish oil, Beta Carotene,Spirulina, Garlic, vitamins A, B-12 and D and assorted minerals, I won't bore you with those details. But no fish meal there.
Ok.. sorry to be so long winded, and I am sure others can add " what to look for" when choosing the right food/brand for your fish. ;D

~ kate
EDIT: PS, I also love the Omega One Products, just didnt have any on hand to compare ingredients.

Sabi
I prefer Omega One brand.
I heard they are one of the best.

I think tetra pro and tera prima are pretty good.

sirdarksol
My take on nutrition (human and pet) is a lot more simplistic than Kate's (I'm not saying that she's wrong. Rather, I'm concerned about nutrition, but am too lazy to keep track of all of the specifics).
There are certain ingredients that I avoid when making food choices.
For human foods, they're things like high fructose corn syrup, enriched flour, hydrogenated oils.
For my cats, it's by-products or corn meal.
For my fish, it's grains and fish meal. (these are, in general, empty calories, without much the way of nutrients)
If one of these products shows up in the first five or six listed ingredients, I avoid that particular food. I prefer foods made primarily with whole fish/crustaceans for meat-eaters and foods made with primarily algaes for veggie-lovers.
OmegaOne is the only flake/stick food in my area that doesn't have either a grain or fish meal base, so I that's the only one I buy now.

peter
Thanks for the info everybody very helpful I never seen omega fish food in the shops I start asking around for it might not be Australia.

Gamer
I buy Wardly for regular flakes. Omega One for veggie flakes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Wayne73
  • Question
Replies
Views
JamesVader