WHAT? Bottom feeders don't eat poop?

Riverwolf
My tank is still cycling with the five neon tetras. I'm not going to add any more fish until I am sure that the cycle is done. But after a visit to the LFS and talking to the clerk and a customer, I decided for sure get one or two bottom feeder/scavenger types. I can't remember the name they told me so I did a search here and didn't find it either but I did find that they don't eat poop! RATS! Well, it's ok but I was really hoping for that magic fish/snail/shrimp or whatever that would eat all the poop and excess food and not go poop itself!
So anyway what do you all suggest for a beginner to get to help clean the bottom in between the gravel vacuums? Or is it needed at all? I plan to add fish slowly and always keep the tank on the lean side in fish volume.
I thank all replies.

Aquarist
Good morning,

To my knowledge there isn't a fish or critter for the aquaria hobby that will solely eat fish waste. Too, if a critter is going to eat, it's going to poop

However, for scavengers to help eat foods that sink to the bottom, you can try Cory Cats, Snails, tank space permitting.

Best of luck for a speedy cycle. Neon Tetras are so sensitive to water conditions, I'll be surprised if they survive the cycling process. For future reference, I would recommend cycling fishless. It will be much easier on you and the fish.

Ken

ZeeZ
I highly recommend Tetra SafeStart. It will pretty much almost instantly cycle your tank and save your neon tetras... if it's not too late. Once you put it in, don't change the water for two weeks. No Prime, as that neutralizes the bacteria. The test readings will be weird, but it's just the bacteria doing what it does.

Here's a thread on it -

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

As for bottom feeders, there are cories, loaches, etc. Is it a 20 High or a 20 Long?

wisecrackerz
for a 10G tank, I'd suggest ramshorn snails. they seem to do a pretty good job cleaning both extra food and algae. they can grow fairly large, like nickle-quarter sized, and are fun to watch. some have trouble controlling the population, but i've never had any trouble controlling snail populations (mainly by not over feeding). They're not as fancy as the brightly coloured nerites, but you can usually find the young ones for free.

Akari_32
Good morning,

To my knowledge there isn't a fish or critter for the aquaria hobby that will solely eat fish waste....

Sea Cucumbers ;D

Though I don't think they'd mind the occasional scavenging lol

Aaaanyway! Mystery Snails are good for eating leftovers, and the occasion algae. And Cories'll eat leftovers from the gravel.

And as Wisecrackers said, Ramshorns will eat anything. They are considered a "pest snail," so you'll have to keep them in check, or they'll cause more harm than good.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dovah
Replies
Views
Zee313
Replies
Views
LTSILVER
Replies
Views