What are your tips to avoid jumpers without a lid?

LadfromLondon

Well Known
I’m aware lowering the water level can help, as can floating plants but is there anything else?

The tank will have my Betta and some Chili Rasboras, I can’t use a lid because my hardscape won’t allow it.

The tank itself will be heavily planted and I have some frogbit to float, does anyone have any tips?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
LadfromLondon said:
I’m aware lowering the water level can help, as can floating plants but is there anything else?

The tank will have my Betta and some Chili Rasboras, I can’t use a lid because my hardscape won’t allow it.

The tank itself will be heavily planted and I have some frogbit to float, does anyone have any tips?
I have open tops on all my tanks. And in addition to floating plants I monitor fish when I add new fish or change aquscape.

The only time I've had fish jump out is when I put 10 new glass bloodfin tetra in eith 10 red eye tetra and thy were chashing eachother figuring out territory and I lost 2 bloodfin. So fish compatibility

Flyfisha

Well Known
Is it possible to have a 4 or 5 inch wide perimeter lid with a big hole in the middle.
I have lost count of the number of fish that have jumped out on water change day when the lids are off. A couple of dozen at least. I lost a nice apistogrammas female last week through a 1/2 inch slot I foolishly did not have taped up. I do run the water to the very top of tanks mind you.

skar

Well Known
I keep a full tank without a lid.
7 years I lost 2 fish and a few amonos.
Those 2 fish were kept improperly without a school.

To me no lid has not been an issue.

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
DoubleDutch said:
Floating plants
skar said:
I keep a full tank without a lid.
7 years I lost 2 fish and a few amonos.
Those 2 fish were kept improperly without a school.

To me no lid has not been an issue.
Flyfisha said:
Is it possible to have a 4 or 5 inch wide perimeter lid with a big hole in the middle.
I have lost count of the number of fish that have jumped out on water change day when the lids are off. A couple of dozen at least. I lost a nice apistogrammas female last week through a 1/2 inch slot I foolishly did not have taped up. I do run the water to the very top of tanks mind you.
SanDiegoRedneck said:
I have open tops on all my tanks. And in addition to floating plants I monitor fish when I add new fish or change aquscape.

The only time I've had fish jump out is when I put 10 new glass bloodfin tetra in eith 10 red eye tetra and thy were chashing eachother figuring out territory and I lost 2 bloodfin. So fish compatibility
Cheers guys! Seems to be going okay so far, I moved everyone in today and have been monitoring pretty much all day :)
D100DF3B-1DEE-49ED-A4B7-90CD0273AE95.jpeg

New Threads