what are your thoughts on these filters?

1. LadyBug82 Member Member

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;zI can vouch for the Fluval 305. I have this product and I love it. It has plenty of baskets for media and it is easy to prime (to get started). I can not say enough good things about Fluval 305. I also have a 206 that I got on sale for $80.00 at Petco. You might want to look at that one as well.

The other filters I have not used so I can not give you a good opinion. I am sure someone will chime in that is familiar with the rest.:;nin2

Wendy

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Magnum - garbage

305 - okay filter. Fluvals are the least favorite of the canisters I use.

Pennplax - No experience with them

Eheim - No experience

I prefer sunsun canisters, but the rena XP line is the best.

Here's a good link for you
    http:///Aquarium_Filtration.html#canister

4. LadyBug82 Member Member

i have a 55g tank so i want to add another filter to my hob thats for a 75g tank

5. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Go for the fluval 305 then. I run a 404 on my 55g and i agree that it isnt the best option. As a filter that is paired with another one. A canister will do a great job as your primary.

6. LadyBug82 Member Member

later on im planing on replaceing the biowheel hob with a canister one tho when i get more money or all my fish stuff taking care of

7. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I have my eheim 2217 on my 75gal, I love it. Its simple and silent. I got it used, and had no problems setting it up without any instructions.

8. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Agreed... find a used one in good condition. Canisters are expensive but because "used" has an aura about it, you can often find ones hardly used for half the price if not less. :)

9. LadyBug82 Member Member

do u have a pic of what it looks like and the price they range from?

10. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

:;google

11. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

i really like my fluvals i have a 305 and a fx5. but i have not used renas or eheims

12. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

i also have fluval. Its the only brand canister i have. I just finished making my own, which will be the norm from now on.

As for Eheim, i dont know, but hands down Rena is great. My LFS operates with them and absolutley love them. I now know exactly why.

13. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

I think my next filter when I need one will be a Rena

14. can haz catfishies? Member Member

i run a fluval 105 and a 405 and both of them have been very good filters, ehiem are just as good and pretty much as quiet and as reliable as the fluval ones, i havent tried the other cheaper makes but then i always think you get what you pay for.

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have 4 of the cheap canisters and they are all terrific filters. Albeit they are all the same brand.

16. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I refuse to pay the prices a lot of the brands are asking for recently.

Hence why i make my own... Its ridiculous how simple it actually is.

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

See, I bought used tanks that came with XP canisters :) I did buy a couple of the filters new, but never again.

18. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Not as easy to find used filters in South Africa :)

Tanks are easy, but usually small rubbish, run down ones.

19. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Not as easy to find used filters in South Africa :)

Tanks are easy, but usually small rubbish, run down ones.