What are Your Strategies to Keep from Stirring Up the Substrate

SouthAmericanCichlids

What are all your guys' strategies to keep from stirring up the substrate. With my 55g, I don't really have to worry, but for my 5 and 10gs that's where the problem occurs. I know some use a plate, but for me, it just tips over (If floating) and does nothing (If sank). So what I have been doing is pouring water into a plastic baggie with wholes cut in the bottom.

What do you guys do?

StarGirl

In my 5 and 9 I put a glass cup on the bottom so it doesn't float. Then I pour the water into the cup. The sand doesn't stir up much at all. I have to keep stopping because my betta gets close and almost whooshed into the cup. lol

carsonsgjs

I purposely set up the tank scape to include something at one end that can have new water poured onto it and therefore slow the water down before it hits the sand - a big rock usually or maybe a piece of driftwood.

StarGirl

I am going to try JettsPapa 's plastic measuring cup trick once my sand is in the 55g. He has a cup with a handle on it to hang on the side and it has holes drilled in it.

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

I'm the same as Carson here. I aim my water onto driftwood. Works pretty good

bored411

I have glass saucers that I put on the bottom of my 3 gallon and 10 gallon and it doesn't stir up the sand or gravel for me. If I'm lazy and don't want to fit it in there though, I just pour it slowly over the decor to keep it from moving substrate.

mattgirl

When pouring the water my 55 gallon the flow doesn't make it to the bottom so doesn't disturb the sand even if I pour it in there really fast. The back corners of my 5.5 gallon tank have a deep layer of gravel. I only have sand in the middle and part of the front. I use a one gallon pitcher to slowly refill it. I pour it directly on the gravel. By doing so it doesn't affect the sand. I used a low sided feeding dish in my pleco grow out tank with a sand substrate. I just poured the water in the feeding dish.

BigManAquatics

Rocks, driftwood, some other kind of bigger, solid decor all do the trick for me. I do keep the measuring cup trick in mind, jist keep forgetting to get a plastic one to put holes in. Quite sure my wife would be mad if i did that to our glass pyrex ones!

kallililly1973

You can get a cheap colander and put it over the top of your tank and pour it right into that and it'll dispurse the water slowly. Thats how we used to do our smaller tanks. or uf you have DW in the tank just pour in thats direction.

mattgirl

As you can see, as with so many things in this hobby, there are many ways to get the job done. :)

sattelmauser

I use a small submersible pump that i put into the water bucket. a real back saver and the flow is not fast enough to disturb the sand.

JeremyW

I made a little frame out of scrap wood that sits on top of the tank and holds a 4" plastic pot.

The pot has a bunch of small holes drilled in the bottom, and around the sides about an inch from the bottom. And there is a filter sponge glued to the bottom as well.

I pour water into the pot and it gets diffused out.

It was supposed to be a quick and dirty diy solution just to help me fill up a tricky aquascape. But I've used it for most water changes ever since.

TClare

When filling a new tank I use a shallow bowl on the substrate, but for water changes I pour it gently onto the driftwood. My tanks are larger though.

JettsPapa

I am going to try JettsPapa 's plastic measuring cup trick once my sand is in the 55g. He has a cup with a handle on it to hang on the side and it has holes drilled in it.

. . . and here it is.

Attachments

• 0606201040.jpg
    0606201040.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 11

SouthAmericanCichlids

altermac

I'm using a 5 Liter watering can with the nano tanks and a Gardena spray nozzle with a garden hose for the bigger ones.

IMG_20210805_200049.jpg

IMG_20210805_195956.jpg

SouthAmericanCichlids

With my 55g I use a hose with a watering nozzle like that one.

FishDin

many good ideas!

I use a small submersible pump that i put into the water bucket. a real back saver and the flow is not fast enough to disturb the sand.
I pump my water too, but my pump is a little too strong for one tank so I cut a piece of 30ppi filter sponge to fit over the end of the fill hose and it defuses it enough so the substrate is not disturbed.

JustAFishServant

I use a plastic measuring cup w/ holes drilled at the bottom for larger WCs or my hands for small WCs. I scrub my hands w/ fish-safe soap before (1 drop pure castille for every US cup) and cup one hand so the water pours in slowly. It doesn't matter to me if it shifts the substrate a bit since most of my tanks are small and the largest has Goldfish which keep it messy. Nothing to it! ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

10 Gallon Tank Help Needed On What To Do
Replies
Views
foshtank
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies