What are your problems faced in fishkeeping?

What is the hardest or worst parts of fishkeeping in your opinion?

• Water Changes

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • The noise

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • The price

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • In tank nuisances (like algae and hitchhikers)

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Cycling a tank

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Losing fish

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Water issues (spillage and molding)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other (specify if you want)

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just wondering what other fish keepers think are the hardest parts about fishkeeping. All of these are pretty hard but I have a real problem with bladder snails.

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Literally everything on the list except cycling (I have media) and losing fish. Also, I like starting new tank projects and then I buy too much stuff to handle. Or I switch what I'm doing on a whim. Not sure if that's just me lol

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
picking up my aqua one nautilus 2700 canister full of water and carrying it out of the garage, oh then getting the bloody lid off it after that.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
The only thing I have a hard time with is losing one of my water pets. Thankfully it doesn't happen often but several of mine are reaching very advanced ages so I know it is just a matter of time before I have to say goodby to some of them. I lost one of my long finned black skirts last week. Little guy and his siblings are almost 5 years old now.

I am not fond of the black beard algae I have been battling either :( I love all other aspects of the hobby though. :)

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Trying to control the impulse to just walk into the petstore and buy every tank, plant, and fish they have available lol.

Especially because I’m out of work right now.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dear Black Beard Algae. Please stop. Sincerely, Deku-Cory.

Also water changes are always a workout. I can't use a python or any other direct to tank method. The chlorine in my water is so high that I have no doubt it would harm my fish over time. So it's the bucket brigade life for me!

AJ34

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Water changes usually when my schedule is busy, however not the case currently.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
I am not fond of the black beard algae I have been battling either :(
Deku-Cory said:
small SAE im telling you.....I had it on every plant (it was getting bad) now I don't even have a hair or spot on one plant...

I hate plant problems most. They are the hardest to figure out.

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As an apartment renter, space is my biggest issue. I'm pretty maxed out with my 4 tanks but there's so many projects I want to start.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
StarGirl15 said:
small SAE im telling you.....I had it on every plant (it was getting bad) now I don't even have a hair or spot on one plant...

I hate plant problems most. They are the hardest to figure out.
I'm really hesitant because I've heard many stories of them not eating algae as they get older, and becoming food bullies. This is a fish that can live 10 years, not something I should take lightly. I could rehome it, but I don't know, it just feels wrong to get a living creature and then say "Ok, you're not useful to me anymore, now you're going to be someone else's problem."
I've been heavily considering Amano shrimp, but I'm rescaping my tank soon so I want to wait on them.

SevenTetras

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My biggest problem is maintaining water quality because I made a mistake by getting really big gravel, and feces get caught in them and cannot be removed by the filter causing nitrate issues... but I am changing my substrate to sand this week.

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Deku-Cory said:

Also water changes are always a workout. I can't use a python or any other direct to tank method. The chlorine in my water is so high that I have no doubt it would harm my fish over time. So it's the bucket brigade life for me!
Me too. Trying to do large WC and dragging buckets back and forth from the bathroom is a struggle. I am 5’2 so it’s a struggle to have to haul anything big or heavy.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
erinw347 said:
Me too. Trying to do large WC and dragging buckets back and forth from the bathroom is a struggle. I am 5’2 so it’s a struggle to have to haul anything big or heavy.
Why do I relate to this so much? Lol.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of my problems was fin rot(which was caused by me :(). Another big one is water changes. I don't really have a good way to fill the tank back up with water, and so when I pour the water back into the tank with a flower vase or plastic bin, it often spills everywhere and then I have to clean it up. Another slight problem I have is spending money on things I don't really need for my fish lol.

MissPanda

Well Known
Reaction score
The price. I dont want to know at this point what I've spent. The noise is another one. I hate the sound of an impeller making that scratchy noise. I like the water sounds though, but that impeller always acts up and drives me nuts till I vaseline it.

New Threads