What Are Your Prices? Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Iridium_2256, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

I'm a little curious as to what everyone prices for fish are. I dont know why, it's interesting to see the difference in price. What are your prices for just your basic fish, like a single cory, a neon tetra and a gourami?

2. phantom

phantomValued MemberMember

could you explain the question better? :)

3. OP
    OP
    Iridium_2256

As in, how much would a gourami, a single neon tetra and a single cory cost at you lfs? Like your common, basic tropical fish.

4. Gala

GalaWell Known MemberMember

Well for bettas usually our Petco sells them anywhere between $5-$25. I think the lower ranges are veils, crowns, and basic colors, meanwhile roses, halfmoons, and kois are on the upper end. My koi was $20, I got my halfmoon from PetSmart but I don't remember their prices.

5. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Neon Tetras a $2 or so, and cardinals are $4. I think my corys were around $4-5, and my turquoise rainbows were $9. I've blown WAY more money on equipment, filters, CO2, tanks...
    My fish cost is a round-off error in comparison.

6. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

My fish store is pretty expensive, but the quality is excellent. IME, fish are not something to ship around for, so I have no problem paying twice as much at a great store than half that at a sub-par store

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

In Melbourne, a single cory can be anywhere between $5-50 depending on species and whatnot. Common species are around $5-8 each.

A single neon is normally $1-5 each... usually $1.50....

A gourami - depends on species. For the more common ones, expect to pay around $7 or so.

8. Andy SValued MemberMember

I'm in Greece, recently bought Panda Corys for 3 euros a piece, that's just under 5 Australian Dollars.

9. aussieJJDude

I wish pandas was that cheap here.... bump it up to $15 AU.

10. OP
    OP
    Iridium_2256

Almost forgot to put mine in lol

A cory here like a standard peppered is about 1.69 a pop

neon tetras are about 1.39 a pop

My golden gourami planters was only about 4 dollars

11. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

12. puffer boi

puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

lol i thought my place was expensive...
    9.99 for panda
    3.99 for neon
    7.99 for cadinals

13. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I get my albino cories for $3.99, my Cherry Barbs were $3.99 as well, bristlenose was $7.99, mystery snail $2.99, honey gourami was $4.99
    My Celestial Pearl Danios that I bought for my 31 gallon tank were $11.99 each, cost me $141.00 for a dozen.

I know, that's extremely pricey.

14. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

So, fishless cycles are more popular where you live?

15. Jenoli42

lol :) you'd think so but ignorance of cycles is prevalent in all countries!

our lfs guarantees their fish for 30 days. I don't know how they stay in business but I've certainly used that guarantee... and they let borrow their QTs.

16. aussieJJDude

That would be unheard of in Auz. They sell here for around $40 each.

Ouch, at least in auz things are usually a little cheaper - not by much, cardinals are cheaper mostly - than Nz.

17. Brannor

BrannorValued MemberMember

:oops:
    :p
    Fish prices vary greatly here in Aus. And the quality too. I've found you pay a bit more at Petbarn, but all the stores we've been to, they've maintained their tanks well. There are some stores that I just couldn't buy a fish from no matter the price...those poor fish in those tanks...

Yellow shrimp in stores go for around $10
    RCS are like $2
    Anything (shrimp) else you have to try get online or hope you have a breeder nearby.

A young Black Knife (under 10cm) is about $25
    As it is hard to source glass shrimp here where I am, as well as Kuhli Loaches, I am quite tempted to buy some fish from an online store that ships them here in Aus...

18. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

Here in Sydney bettas: $25-$30, neons $2, guppies $4, dwarf gourami $10, goldfish $6-$12.
    While in nz I never even saw a fish store.

19. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

In central Florida:
    Peppered Cory: $3.99 - $6.99
    Neon Tetra: $1.99 - $2.50
    Dwarf Gourami: $4.99 - $7.99

Prices based on my area and vary by chain store and lfs.

20. Jenoli42

at least you can get CPDs!!! they're illegal to import to NZ :( such cool looking fish. sigh

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice