What Are Your Options On This Stocking Level?

natureandwildlife

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Today I was at the pet store getting a few things I needed and I fell in love with a Long-Fin Serpae Tetra. I can't get just 1 because they are schooling fish so I need at least 6. I have 1 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Neon Tetras, 1 Amano Shrimp, and 1 Mystery Snail. I was thinking that I wouldn't have enough room stocking wise, but others didn't seem to think so. (Not all of them were pet store employees.)

So I'm wondering what you all think. Is 1 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Neon Tetras, 1 Amano Shrimp, 1 Mystery Snail, and 6 Serpae Tetras WAY overstocked. I vacuum my gravel, and do at least 50% water changes weekly.

Some people at the pet store were saying that as long as there is physically room for them to swim well and you are willing to keep up with the water changes, then it's not an issue.

Let me know what you think.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my opinion you’d be stretching it. Serpae tetras are territorial and they might not appreciate being crowded in such a small place.

I think you could do a small group of fish, but they would have to be peaceful. Have you thought about adding more neon tetras?

I have 1 serpae tetra in my 45 gallons (given to me by mistake) and he has chosen his territory and he defends it. He’s still small so I can’t imagine when he’s older. He’s got to go back to the store.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't get them. Tbh I would say the neons and dwarf would be better suited for a 20g than a 10, there are some that disagree with that. I definitely wouldn't put serpae tetra in a 10g. Two schools and a centrepiece is definitely a bit much for a 10g

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom