What are your opinions on keeping apistos solo?

Mii

I've heard some people say that you should always keep apistos in pairs and that if kept solo they won't display nice colors and won't be happy, but others say they do great kept solo. If they're ok solo I'd prefer that since I don't actually want babies and I also don't want them to get more territorial guarding fry. Are apistos good solo or should they always be kept in pairs?

LowConductivity

Solo, pairs….both work, both are fine, but in the grand scheme of things, you really miss out on what make Apistogramma groups really fun, their social behavior.

Mii

Solo, pairs….both work, both are fine, but in the grand scheme of things, you really miss out on what make Apistogramma groups really fun, their social behavior.
I mean, I would like to get that interesting behavior out of a pair, the problem is just I don't want them to have babies, and then they get more aggressive protecting the fry, and the other fish want to eat said fry... It just causes conflict. Could try putting a pair with no other fish in like the 10 gallon I already have hanging around.
I *could* do one in my community tank and then also do a breeding pair in a separate tank.

carsonsgjs

I’ve kept single male apistos for a few years in a small community tank - worked out fine for me. As lowconductivity says, you miss out on the breeding behaviour but you don’t get the aggression when they spawn.

Mii

I’ve kept single male apistos for a few years in a small community tank - worked out fine for me. As lowconductivity says, you miss out on the breeding behaviour but you don’t get the aggression when they spawn.
Might stick an apisto in my 20g community tank depending on what other fish I choose to put in there. Gotta make sure everything's compatible with it so idk if I will though.

TClare

I have a single male A. agassizii in a 240L (64 gallon) tank with some bigger cichlids. He won’t tolerate any other small cichlids in the tank (I have not managed to get a female). He is always flaring at the festivums and showing off his colours so I don’t miss out there. Although the other fish are now bigger than him he is definitely the tank boss.

yukondog

It will be fine alone.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JoeyFreshwater91
Replies
Views
Joyously
Replies
Views
ktorg