What are your money making side gigs?

Awaken_Riceball_

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Greetings Fishlorians,

I am wondering, what are your side gigs that makes money? It is amazing when hobbies turn into side income and seeing the customer very happy!

My side gigs are the following:
  1. Car Detailing
  2. Computer Repairs
  3. Aquarium Plant Distributor to LFS. They buy on a monthly basis from me. The high demand plant for them is Blyxa Japonica.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
One of my side gig is chess, I have never won, but I still give people happines xd.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am with a direct sales company, I sell houseplants, and I also sell fish :) That's all on top of my "real" job

OP
Awaken_Riceball_

Awaken_Riceball_

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
e_watson09 said:
I am with a direct sales company, I sell houseplants, and I also sell fish :) That's all on top of my "real" job
That is wonderful! It must bring you a lot of joy to know people are buying into your passion. When it comes to selling fish, do you sell online, LFS or attend local aquarium trade show event?

JettsPapa said:
I have cows.
That's awesome! I actually grew up on a farm for the first 8 years of my life. My dad worked on a farm during his teen into young adult years and we are great friends with the farmer to this day. The farmer is sadly, the last milk producing farmer in my area. When it passes away, there will be no one left to take over as a 4th generation. You totally have my utmost respect for having cows! I am not sure if you are a farmer, but farmers are the backbone of this country.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm (hopefully!) getting ready to start a side job at a shooting range that just opened up near my house. The pay is garbage but the perks are cool. Free training and free range time and discounts on sales woot!
I'd love to breed fish or sell plants to the LFS but they literally do not buy anything from customers. You can "donate" whatever you want but they don't even give you store credit!

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
Before covid hit there is an app like uber for chefs where jobs pop up and you get ranked and can be requested for gigs. Worked gigs everywhere from the colleges doing 1000 kids all you can eat with 7 stations to 20 person private dinners in mult million dollar mansion.
Was cool side hustle for chefs

Ontop of my regular job managing 2 venues and a catering company.

Oh yea also have 4 20gal tanks going w shrimp. So maybe another new hustle soon since MY INDUSTRY IS DIEING A FAST FAST SCARY DEATH

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
That is wonderful! It must bring you a lot of joy to know people are buying into your passion. When it comes to selling fish, do you sell online, LFS or attend local aquarium trade show event?
Depends on the fish, historically I have sold to my LFS. I am not getting into higher end bettas so I'll sell them online, locally, and offer some to my LFS. I am hoping to start a website so I'll offer some of my other fish I'm breeding on there as well. Selling them to people versus LFS will bring in more income :)

I am working on a fish room and plan to have a few breeding tanks. Currently I have multiple pairs of imported bettas, harder to find guppies, and a BN pleco trio. I plan to add to that once the fish room is complete.

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
Greetings Fishlorians,

I am wondering, what are your side gigs that makes money? It is amazing when hobbies turn into side income and seeing the customer very happy!

My side gigs are the following:
  1. Car Detailing
  2. Computer Repairs
  3. Aquarium Plant Distributor to LFS. They buy on a monthly basis from me. The high demand plant for them is Blyxa Japonica.
I used to paint/repair cars for several large used car lots, and this usually included a detail. HATED IT. I'll work on the outside of someone's car all day, but the nasty that you'd find inside could scar a person for life. But I was working on cars that were not owned by a person yet, just picked up from auction or repo or whatever, so they were usually in the worst condition.

And thank you for being a computer repair person. I would usually give that no thought, but I almost lost 10 years of baby and kids photos from a really weird computer issue, so thankfully I paid an expert to retrieve all that. It was a rough time I thought i lost it all.

I would love to sell/trade stuff to my LFS, I'm just too afraid to ask :/

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A friend of mine has convinced me to open a cafeteria in a university with him and another mate when the next semester begins. I have no idea if it will be a money maker yet, the uni's here all take a 22% cut from the sales not from the profits but it still should be a bit of fun.

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
I make things. Crafty things. I'll refurbish wood furniture. Interior décor, vinyl decals, etc.
I've also dabbled in Photo retouching, portrait editing, logo design, I've done a few business cards.... Boring stuff.

JettsPapa said:
I have cows.
Moooo.

Cows are big business where I live. Can't look anywhere and not see a herd. They open range graze in our forests and mountains too. They're everywhere.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
. . . You totally have my utmost respect for having cows! I am not sure if you are a farmer, but farmers are the backbone of this country.
I don't know if you'd call me a farmer. I'm just a small operator with two bulls and about 25 cows. (I have two bulls because the cows are in two different places.)

Mhamilton0911 said:
. . . I would love to sell/trade stuff to my LFS, I'm just too afraid to ask :/
Why? If they say "Yes" that's good. If they say "No", then so what? No harm done.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
I don't know if you'd call me a farmer. I'm just a small operator with two bulls and about 25 cows. (I have two bulls because the cows are in two different places.)

Why? If they say "Yes" that's good. If they say "No", then so what? No harm done.
And CL vs LFS is on CL your usually getting more $ but smaller sales and meeting new people. (I'll do but not prefered)
If you can get relationship with LFS yes less money but. Sell all at once and not meeting new people. (My choice)

JettsPapa said:
I have cows.
So jealous. My whole family is from south and southwest. I had chickens at my last house. But I'm saving to buy land 40 min east of downtown San Diego. So I can have a mini farm. (The city is where the $$$ is in my industry but not where I like to live)

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My side gigs are doing security for concerts and NCAA sporting events, mainly football and mens/womens basketball

New Threads