What are your favorite guppies?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by cheesepuff, Aug 14, 2015.

1. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

I only recently just discovered that Guppies come in a very plentiful variety of sizes and colors. I find them extremely intriguing, however I don't know too much about them. I have 1 Cobra guppy, but I would really like to get more. I don't want more than one of a particular type of guppy. I would like to know what your favorite type of guppy is. I'm looking for ideas so I can special order a few. I like patterns and diverse colors or odd shapes. There are so many to choose from.

2. alirayFishlore VIPMember

I also love guppies and I am assuming you are planning on all males. Just for ideas, go on Ebay Live Fish for sale and hit on guppies . It makes for some interesting browsing with lots of different types that change constantly. It will give you some ideas and you don't even have to leave the house. Alison

3. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

Yup. The males appear to have the biggest fins, and my guppy is a male. I checked on ebay. The prices for shipping can be way too high at times.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

Wow, I've never looked on Ebay for live fish!

There are so many beautiful guppies on there, but, unfortunately, there are none on Ebay Canada, of course. Boo.

5. alirayFishlore VIPMember

I didn't mean to buy them I meant to get ideas on colors and patterns that you like. And yes I have bought 2 different Plecos on Ebay and they are fine. The male guppies are prettier than the females as a rule, and If you stick to all males you don't have to worry about being over run with baby guppies. The other advantage to all males is that you're not trying to breed a certain line, so you can just buy one of each different one that you like. Mix and match. Makes for a pretty tank. Alison

6. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Albino full reds, albino snake skins, albino blugrass high dorsal swallows are some of my favs:.. I think I like albinos overall. I'm currently trying to achieve a line of h/b purples, so far have three males that are h/b purple but have horrible fins:... Also love wild type guppies because of their mattalic sheen! :)

Currently breeding: h/b purple guppies

If you are looking for a good guppy breeder, there's one in my state, Minnesota, that breeds discus Angels and guppies.... So far all the guppies from him are in great condition! He ships for 12$ nationwide I believe... If you would like, I can give you his phone number so you can contact him :)
    Ps. I'm not his friend or family memeber, just really pleased everytime I buy from him :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  7. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

Sure! I might give him a call

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Ok! I'll ask him if he is willing for me to give you his number

Sent pm

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  9. GenaWell Known MemberMember

I like long, exaggerated fins.

10. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

My favorite Guppies were the only strain that ever reproduced in my tanks: Double Sword Japanese Grass Guppies. They were an iridescent green color, and threw single swords as well as double swords. They were actually very good sellers, too. I don't remember why I got rid of them, but I must not have been thinking too well when I did.

11. alirayFishlore VIPMember

What kind of fish is that in your avitar? It's very pretty> Alison

12. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Those guppies are great! Used to have a breeding colony but died in my pond due to chemicals used in the lawn.... :(

13. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

The fish in my avatar is Laimosemion (formerly Rivulus) xiphidius. It is a small killifish from French Guiana that was first collected in the late 1970s, and made its way into the hobby in the early 80s. Very difficult to keep and breed.

I really didn't think highly of sword types until I saw the Japanese Grass Guppies. Haven't seen any in a while, I'd love to get some again.

14. LeafrayValued MemberMember

I have wild type bar guppies that throw top sword, bottom sword, and double sword... The females give birth almost every 20 days! And each drop is about 50-60 fry... Been using them as a feeder for a while :D

15. zakocsmValued MemberMember

I really like snowflake guppy's and cobra guppy's, but they are pretty expensive. I don't keep guppy's, but it I did these are what I would keep. My little sister keeps Tequilla Sunrises, although they keep dying for no reason (I bet it's her absolute no clue on how to stock xD), but hey. She's new to the hobby, and probably won't get very far lol. They are fun fish to watch though.

16. KingDFishlore VIPMember

In all honesty, I cannot pick my favorite type of guppy. If I could, I would keep 2 of every kind haha. I personally love the look of the black moscow both male and female. If you are looking for some nice guppies you can check on aquabid.com. Im always on there looking for new guppies and they sellers there have some beautiful guppies for ssale

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice