What are your favorite genre of fish and why?

BigOlePappy

I thought I would ask this since there are so many types of fish in the trade and an infinite about of niches that are popular.

By genre I loosely mean category or type, not necessarily scientific subsets.

You could even name a specific species...

AlexAlex

I can't name only one, sorry... Catfish, Cichlids and Mollies.

I like Catfish because they're neurotic. I like Cichlids because they're like humans with their wide variety of personalities. I like Mollies because they love the attention.

Magoo

My favourite would have to be Betta I have loved many over the last few years and currently own a complete loon of a fish lol

Close second are my gouramI I know pretty much same family but they are blue and Mordin (betta) is white ish lol

On the schooling livebearer front I would have to say endlers they are crazy baby making food machines and I love watching their antics

I also love plecostamus and corydoras but I unfortunately have run out of space

And then there are my next on the list have to get one day so all will be well in the world which is blood parrots I have never kept them but will one day

Sorry kinda didn't pick one but I didn't pick so very many

Ethan

jwhorner6

Tigress Hill

Labrynth fish- Bettas and gouramis because they were my first fish and have such colorful personalities!

Oscars- I rescued one from a 3 gallon tank, from where it had resided for at least 5 years. They are very intelligent fish that amused me for hours at a time with their antics.

Matt B

I love cories but recently I've been watching my ghost shrimp alot. They seem so busy with their little claws warding away fish and then taking off and swimming up to the top to snatch food while the fish are eating. They strike me as smart little guys going about their business and then a fish swims by ten times their size and they breifly pause to threaten the whale with their claws and then back to foraging.

kb9plc

Yeah. I don't think I can name just one.

Corydoras & Danios (of any variety) because they are fun to watch. I swear they have ADD.
Bettas because they have such great personalities. They are the doggies of the fish world.
Angels because they are so graceful and beautiful.

Talen

I really don't have a favorite genre of fish but I truly love my Featherfin Squeaker. It is so fun to watch, he swims upside down and chases the other fish out from under his rock. Seen it feed at the top a few times when I stuck in some freeze dried shrimp. There have been a few times when I've taken it out for water changes and he has just "squeaked" away. Its really cool to hear him talk, kind of sounds like a little mouse.

AquariaUK

Danios - awesome to watch, cute, funny

Shock

Plecos! That's an easy answer, I've always loved them. There's so much variety to them, and they're all a little different.

lucky strike 21

BigOlePappy

I'll add in on my own topic.

I think blue rams. They are personable, intelligent, and colorful

croaker

loaches so lively and fun to watch

plecoman123

catfish a lot of varieties, cool habitats to mimic

CoryCats

My favorite has to be corys. I haven't had a lot of expierence with fish but they just have so much personality! I have two right now who love to tease the cat.

Ziggi

Dwarf Cichlids, both african (shell dwellers) and Central american (Rams!!!) and anabantids (Gouramis). GouramI are so adorable with their little feelers!!!

cognizant

Angelfish and Plecos!

Angelfish because they are both beautiful and intelligent. Plecos because they're just so darn cute!

oscardude

Oscars, cory cats, and my new rubber lip.

Featherfin

soltarianknight

anabantoids hands down for me.

notalwayslost

Tetras! Especially Rummynose they are so cool looking and cute, and I love how they swim together in schools.

FoulFishes

Hands down, I love all kinds of Loaches. When I first got into the hobby I saw Loaches in the store and was fascinated because there are no other fish that look like them or act like them. Even the smallest ones have bigger personalities than fish two or three times their size. I fell in love with Black Kuhlis cause they looked like spastic baby eels to me. Someday i'd love to do like a 100 gallon tank full of caves and like 10 different types of Loaches.

I am a huge Angelfish fan though, they fascinated me as a little kid the first time I saw them. And that fascination stuck cause my next tank will have Angelfish in it.

And I have to bring up Inverts cause I really like my Shrimps. For such small creatures Shrimp seem pretty intelligent and they can be so much fun to watch. Its like they're living in their own world until other fish come by.

featherblue

Neo shrimp (always active, colony growing and changing) and pea puffers, they are watching everything at once.

wayne834

1.Ottos
2.Kuhlis
3.Chain Loach

I feel stronger about my least fav too..... on aesthetic grounds Hatchet Fish

allaboutfish

Cichlids but my catfish and anabantoids are high on the list.

FoulFishes

wayne834 said:
1.Ottos
2.Kuhlis
3.Chain Loach

I feel stronger about my least fav too..... on aesthetic grounds Hatchet Fish
Could you tell us a little bit about yourChain Loaches? I have been really interested in possible getting Dwarf Chain Loaches...maybe I should start a seperated forum for this..

monkeypie102

Betta's hands down! I had one that use to school with my black neons and albino cories I also have one that plays with the shrimp rather than eat them... I even see the shrimp attacking the plantaria that settles on him so its kind of cool to watch

kb9plc

I think I'd have a hard time picking between labyrinth fish and cories. They all have such great personalities!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom