What are your 2022 aquarium/fishkeeping goals?

sairving
So what are your fishkeeping/aquarium-related goals for 2022? Do you want to make changes to existing tanks? Setup a new tank? Breed some fish? Setup your very first tank? Attempt that aquascape you've been dreaming of? Take a trip somewhere?

My goals for my 10-gallon are:
1. Do a better job at keeping my tank detritus and algae free
2. Get my Anubias to grow
3. Mix my own fertilizers (This is related to goal number 2)
4. Finally get my tank to heavily planted status
5. Possibly run passive or injected co2

Advertisement
BigManAquatics
Will be downgrading a tank and replacing it with a 20 tall. Beyond that, a few states away in a few months, so want to get settled and see what the area has to offer before deciding a course for tanks. Would maybe like to set up a few tanks so i can breed/sell peacock gudgeons decently and maybe same for some bn plecos. Should have a bit more room and should be easier to set up since i will basically be starting over with that in mind from the get-go.

SouthAmericanCichlids
My to-do list for the year:

1. Start a white worm culture
2. Make my own food for my fish (Whilst having probably a year and a half of store-bought food haha)
3. Get my angels to lay and be able to raise them
4. Breed at least 2 species of a long list I have, though I haven't decided which yet
5. Startup my cherry shrimp tank

Advertisement
Fisch
There are goals (or the famous resolutions):
... get my 125 gallon tank and all fish and plants transferred without loss.
...reduce the size of my fish closet (== regain ownership of my bathroom)
...prevent myself from keeping the empty 55 gallon and use it as a gigantic QT.

Blacksheep1
1- talk Fisch into ‘ loaning ‘ me the spare 55g jokes ! Okay really
1- buy and set up a new tank and actually scape it instead of throwing it together in a rush
2- start a ramshorn culture
3- have alllll the shrimp I can
4- research, research and some more research …

Advertisement
Fisch
1- talk Fisch into ‘ loaning ‘ me the spare 55g jokes ! Okay really
1- buy and set up a new tank and actually scape it instead of throwing it together in a rush
2- start a ramshorn culture
3- have alllll the shrimp I can
I can give you a Ramshorn culture with the 55gl ;)
When will you pick it up???

TClare
Persuade my husband and son to make a bigger tank for my festivums so that I can have a much larger Amazonian biotope with some additional interesting fish. I would then sell the 240l.

I am keeping my 180l very lightly stocked (it just has 6 Copella and 6 otos at the moment as the Guianacara project fell through). I will be keeping an eye on what new fish become available.

Blacksheep1
I can give you a Ramshorn culture with the 55gl ;)
When will you pick it up???
I’ll get in the car now … be with you soon’ishhh

StarGirl
I want to try to figure out how to breed bbs to adult brine shrimp and blackworms.

I am going to downsize (YES downsize) my 55g to maybe a 39, 45 or 40 breeder. I am enjoying the scapes and fish of my nanos and the 55 just always looks bad to me. Its too tall and long. I dont want a bigger tank at all.

How long does it take to drive across the ocean anyway?

Fisch
See you next year :D

carsonsgjs
I doubled my tanks from 2 to 4 in 2021. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to double up again in 2022.

Unfortunately not everyone in the house feels the same as I do, so might have to get another house…

Fisch
I am going to downsize (YES downsize) my 55g to maybe a 39, 45 or 40 breeder. I am enjoying the scapes and fish of my nanos and the 55 just always looks bad to me. Its too tall and long. I dont want a bigger ...
So there will be a giveaway of 55 gallon tanks.
Funny, You plan to decrease tank size for the same reasons I plan to increase tank size.

SouthAmericanCichlids
So there will be a giveaway of 55 gallon tanks.
Funny, You plan to decrease tank size for the same reasons I plan to increase tank size.
I can take the other. How fast can you get your fish out StarGirl .

Blacksheep1
How long does it take to drive across the ocean anyway?
Depends what you’re driving ! I’m a bit of a Speed freak anyways … might need to borrow Mercedes f1 gear box or red bulls at least !

Motherlovebetta
Praying my one honey gourami fry that has survived is a female and that the adults will be nice to it so I can keep her. Then I plan to turn her (I hope) 20g high into an endler tank that will hopefully breed. Also, hoping to train my husband to help me do water changes. Maybe 2023? My brother in law is also buying a house that was a foreclosure and “they must have been hoarders” he was shocked when I said 8 fish tanks isn’t hoarding haha. He said I can have whatever tanks and equipment is left behind so 2022 may be the year of the fancy goldfish…..and possibly a new husband who helps with water changes.

Fisch
Also, hoping to train my husband to help me do water changes. Maybe 2023? …..and possibly a new husband who helps with water changes.
Good luck in your search for a new husband :)

Blacksheep1
Good luck in your search for a new husband :)
She can have mine … :D

Edit. That sounded rude… lemme try again .

I happily offer up the option of my significant other who will move buckets on the promise of a steak …

ruud
1. One near-zero maintenance tank goes out; downsizing the second one.
2. Having my aquascapes stored in two racks.
3. Which creates room for a 6th tank in the rack; which will be a river biotope.
4. Like to start a "bucephalandra tree" in a tall nano tank on my windowsill.
5. Continue with the slow transition of my tank in the hallway to a classic nature style scape.

...so this is januari...

Motherlovebetta
She can have mine … :D

Edit. That sounded rude… lemme try again .

I happily offer up the option of my significant other who will move buckets on the promise of a steak …
:D Mine’s not so bad…..he will be a lot more helpful after football season is over I think (hope). He will not appreciate 8 new tanks though! Maybe just one or two small ones?

WRWAquarium
1. Upgrade my 300l with a decent l.e.d light. Make a custom jump guard.
2. Go fully live planted in the 300l.
3. Probably get a new marine tank setup and invest in RO unit. My little 34l flex is doing allright but it's limiting allot.
4. Spend some time on my axolotl tank, burt is doing great but I would like to rescape it.

Don't know how much of that I will get done!

Blacksheep1
:D Mine’s not so bad…..he will be a lot more helpful after football season is over I think (hope). He will not appreciate 8 new tanks though! Maybe just one or two small ones?
Husbands are Just like tanks though —

2 is better than 1 !

I jest… mostly. But if you tell him you want all 8 tanks , 2 is a great compromise surely !???

otterblue
Scarlet badis: Just got 2 (actual) females to go with my 2 males and "probable/probably not" female. I'm hoping they will mate and I can raise some fry (judging by my dominant male's reaction it may not take long).

Fisch
As long as he watches football he won't even notice you moving in 8 additional tanks :rolleyes:

Joshtank
I want to create a new aquascape for my 29gal(my java fern is taking over one half of it).
Just to maintain my one tank for now until I finish my degree. Then I plan on upgrading my tank.

Thunder_o_b
My to-do list for the year:
3. Get my angels to lay and be able to raise them
I find that low light, and some Barry White music does the trick.....

sairving

Just pretend the 8 tanks were all there to begin with..."Where did these tanks come from?" "They've always been there honey. You just never noticed."

Thunder_o_b
This past year has really set me back. Covid in a April, spine surgery in June. I plan to rebuild my RO/DI system (membrane and filters) and install the pump and run the hard lines from the basement to the first floor.

Then there is restocking the aquariums, replanting some of them, and finding a way to put the 29, 30 and 37 gallons back in service...

Other than that I really don't have much to do.

sairving
The one goal I didn't mention.....trying to get rid of the stupid duckweed. Bleh

Thunder_o_b
The one goal I didn't mention.....trying to get rid of the stupid duckweed. Bleh
Duckweed is from the dark side........

BigManAquatics
Duckweed is from the dark side........
Duckweed got kicked out from the Darkside, Lord Vader didn't want it either! Plus, it ate all our cookies.

StarGirl
Duckweed got kicked out from the Darkside, Lord Vader didn't want it either! Plus, it ate all our cookies.
The dark sides cookies have raisins. :D

BigManAquatics
The dark sides cookies have raisins. :D
But, boy, are we regular! No metamucil here!

JLAquatics
My next year aspirations are not as extensive of what I achieved this year, but many of these things are new things I want to expand my knowledge about pertaining the wide swath of fishkeeping knowledge we call the aquarium hobby.

1. Create my first Riparium or Terrarium/Aquarium hybrid aquascape with a bog filter. I am thinking about converting the ten gallon once I am done using it as a quarantine/breeding purposes and housing frogs, freshwater crabs, or prawns depending on how it is setup.

2. To successfully breed these guys...

IMG_20211227_104830165_2.jpg
They have been laying eggs for far too long in my main display tank! Since I now have a mostly empty 10 gallon, I will get to work breeding these Lambchops as soon as the females fill up with eggs once more. I will be breeding them the proper way so the eggs do not get eaten again for the nth time. :)

3. Setup my 75 gallon aquarium sitting in dormancy. I have only ever kept very small nano fish and I want that to change soon. I am sure there are plenty of awesome mid-sized fish I can keep in this new setup. This will also be highly dependent on if we move or not, as the housing market is out of whack at this time.

I also just realized that starting tomorrow I will have been a member on this amazing forum for exactly one year! I want to thank everyone immensely for being part of this amazing group of aquarists. I mention this because without Fishlore, I would not have done many of the successful things I did in this last year. I want to thank you all personally right now for all the awesome advice given and the friendly welcoming vibe you gave me on this forum! Stay awesome friends! :happy:

BigManAquatics
The one thing i know about my goals over next couple years, the base flooring of the house is all concrete, the walk-in closet of the master bedroom is bigger than some fishrooms, so BIG tanks may be a possibility!

Prevail
1. I want to get my low-light planted tank into the heavily planted status
2. I want to creat a walstad betta tank
3. I want to experiment with growing houseplants with their roots in tanks, like pothos
4. I want to bring at least one person into the hobby, and get them started with something proper, not a vase with a betta or goldfish

Fisch
But, boy, are we regular! No metamucil here!
Hey, life would be boring without anything to gripe about. If only duckweed is the problem you have a pretty good life o_O

sairving
I've been going crossed eyed researching dry ferts: EDTA v DPTA, EI dosing, low tech EI, PPS Pro. Some of the threads over on the barr report and planted tank forums have been both helpful and confusing at the same time.

Blacksheep1
I've been going crossed eyed researching dry ferts: EDTA v DPTA, EI dosing, low tech EI, PPS Pro. Some of the threads over on the barr report and planted tank forums have been both helpful and confusing at the same time.
I can imagine. Sometimes you have to take a break just to process it before going back to it and trying again.

Frank the Fish guy
No tragedies!

All fish grow and stay healthy.

Make some more fish babies.

Self-Sustainability

MoshJosh
Breed each of my tropical fish species at least ounce and sell them all (might keep my convicts though).

get the rice fish breeding operation up and running.

and start my first saltwater tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cory & the Catz
Replies
Views
Sewerrat
Replies
Views
Gamer
Replies