What Are You Listening To? - Page 21

Betta'sAnonymous

coralbandit said:

Jackie Blue .
What's a winner if you never loose ?
This is usually my jam from them!

Just won free buffalo wings on the radio for knowing name and artist of this song:

NoahLikesFish

Glass beach

Frisbee

Anyone need some really cool medieval vibes?

Jerome O'Neil

Frisbee said:
secondly, it’s not a fiddle...
They're all fiddles when you're fiddlin'.

I work a large scale bluegrass festival every year (except this year, because COVID cancelled it), and Väsen is a semi-regular artist there. They play traditional Swedish folk on traditional instruments like the nyckelharpa. Whenever they are playing the festival, there will always be a few nyckelharpas wandering the halls. So one year it is late, and I head to my hotel room. When I step off the elevator, there in the middle of the hallway is one of the regular attendees with her nyckelharpa, and Olov Johansson having a quasi lesson/jam session. I'm not interrupting that. So I sat down and watched for a couple of hours. When off of the elevator steps Doyle Lawson, who just walked off the main stage and decided he was gonna join their little jam. Which he did.

I got to bed about 4 AM.

Anyway, here's Vasen. I'd imagine tuning that thing requires a Ph.D.

Frisbee

Jerome O'Neil said:
They're all fiddles when you're fiddlin'.
Technically, the definition of a fiddle is a violin that is tuned a certain way and played with a certain style. Violins and cellos are very different instruments. It would be like calling a bass a fiddle... it just sounds wrong.

Betta'sAnonymous

Frisbee said:
Technically, the definition of a fiddle is a violin that is tuned a certain way and played with a certain style. Violins and cellos are very different instruments. It would be like calling a bass a fiddle... it just sounds wrong.
It's a fiddle here!!

Jerome O'Neil

Frisbee said:
I spend inordinate amounts of time hanging out with bluegrass players of all shapes and sizes and notoriety. I have hundreds of hours of jam session recordings I've taken over the last two decades that contain IBMA flat picking champions and Grammy nominees on them. Trust me. Everything is a fiddle. Uprights are commonly called "bass fiddles." *Guitars* are regularly referred to as "git-fiddles." There is no "technically." There is no difference in tuning. It's a fiddle if you're fiddlin'. That's it.

Except for banjos. They're just banjos.

Aquariumlover1357

Imma be the odd one out and say

"I'm a savage
Classy, bougie, ratchet
Sassy, moody, nasty
Acting stupid, what's happenin'?
What's happenin'"

I have no regrets.

Jerome O'Neil

Betta'sAnonymous said:
It's a fiddle here!!
That was great!

Aquariumlover1357 said:
Imma be the odd one out and say

"I'm a savage
Classy, bougie, ratchet
Sassy, moody, nasty
Acting stupid, what's happenin'?
What's happenin'"

I have no regrets.
Tupac, Bigs, and Ludacris are regulars in my rotation. I like it old school.

MacZ

Frisbee said:
Anyone need some really cool medieval vibes?
Medieval goes like this:
(IMO best rendition of a poem from the Cantigas the Santa Maria from the 13th century)

(And from the Carmina Burana (also 13th century), on which I once wrote a paper.)

Jerome O'Neil said:
I work a large scale bluegrass festival every year (except this year, because COVID cancelled it), and Väsen is a semi-regular artist there. They play traditional Swedish folk on traditional instruments like the nyckelharpa. Whenever they are playing the festival, there will always be a few nyckelharpas wandering the halls. So one year it is late, and I head to my hotel room. When I step off the elevator, there in the middle of the hallway is one of the regular attendees with her nyckelharpa, and Olov Johansson having a quasi lesson/jam session. I'm not interrupting that. So I sat down and watched for a couple of hours. When off of the elevator steps Doyle Lawson, who just walked off the main stage and decided he was gonna join their little jam. Which he did.

I got to bed about 4 AM.

Anyway, here's Vasen. I'd imagine tuning that thing requires a Ph.D.

I like the Nyckelharpa. Great Instrument. For playing myself I prefer the Hurdy-Gurdy, though. My bow-work is rubbish. And actually, a Sitar is harder to tune (believe me I tune mine many times a week).

Frisbee

MacZ said:
Medieval goes like this:
(IMO best rendition of a poem from the Cantigas the Santa Maria from the 13th century)

(And from the Carmina Burana (also 13th century), on which I once wrote a paper.)

I like the Nyckelharpa. Great Instrument. For playing myself I prefer the Hurdy-Gurdy, though. My bow-work is rubbish. And actually, a Sitar is harder to tune (believe me I tune mine many times a week).
Cool, but less my style.

You might like this though...

SouthAmericanCichlids

Though I was not alive when these songs, I love listening to 60's and 70's music. Basically all I listen to.

MacZ

Frisbee said:
Cool, but less my style.

You might like this though...
Na, Bardcore, as they call it, is rather boring. Too often just made with samples and MIDI. I used to play medieval music for a long time, my point was that the thing you called medieval was all but medieval. But well... even here in Europe few people actually know when that period was and what characterised it. But nevermind...

Frisbee

MacZ said:
Na, Bardcore, as they call it, is rather boring. Too often just made with samples and MIDI. I used to play medieval music for a long time, my point was that the thing you called medieval was all but medieval. But well... even here in Europe few people actually know when that period was and what characterised it. But nevermind...
I never said it was actual medieval or medieval style music, I said it gave medieval vibes. It’s modern style instrumental music that was depicting a medieval or renaissance feel.

I don’t usually like most of the music from the medieval era, I prefer baroque or renaissance.

As for the second one, I literally said nothing about, other then I was thinking you might like it.

MacZ

Came across differently. Nevermind.

Frisbee

MacZ said:
Came across differently. Nevermind.
Sorry, I was being a bit confusing.

ValkyrieLips

Anything Neffex.

Dippiedee

Never gets old

ghostdawg

I do like all types of music genre, being I was in two bands growing up...

Betta'sAnonymous

ghostdawg said:
I do like all types of music genre, being I was in two bands growing up...
Pretty tough to hate the Temptations though

Betta'sAnonymous

My brain, from about 10pm-1am nightly.

MacZ

Betta'sAnonymous said:
My brain, from about 10pm-1am nightly.

Aaaaand I got flashbacks of the Nineties. He was big here in Germany.

Mii

Betta'sAnonymous

MacZ said:
Aaaaand I got flashbacks of the Nineties. He was big here in Germany.
Don't really remember how big he was here in the US, i remember the song. Even though i avoided any music back then that didn't involve loud, crunchy guitars, couldn't avoid this song.

MacZ

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Don't really remember how big he was here in the US, i remember the song. Even though i avoided any music back then that didn't involve loud, crunchy guitars, couldn't avoid this song.

He was just a one hit wonder in the US it seems. He had some more in Europe and Asia.

Who just joined my post with yours?

Repost:
He was just a one hit wonder in the US it seems. He had some more in Europe and Asia.

Coradee

Ooops that’d be me, I’m having a few glitches with a check box, sorry

MacZ

Coradee said:
Ooops that’d be me, I’m having a few glitches with a check box, sorry
Allright, I was mostly confused how this happened within minutes.

I'll edit my post (#1025), then you can remove this one here.

Coradee

Ok, I’m just thankful I haven’t merged the whole thread yet! lol

fish 321

Cowardlyslimeball

Twenty one pilots!
Taxi cab and addict with a pen are my favorites. I'm listening with Josh my betta, he is enjoying it I think.

fish 321

Cowardlyslimeball said:
Twenty one pilots!
Taxi cab and addict with a pen are my favorites. I'm listening with Josh my betta, he is enjoying it I think.
I love Twenty One Pilots. My favorite is fairly local.

AcornTheBetta

Listening to the sound of my keys as I type this message.

ghostdawg

Tony Joe White - Closer to the Truth

Betta'sAnonymous

This song is my mood and then some....very needed

Betta'sAnonymous

A song that mentions where i live lol

Betta'sAnonymous

Newer take on an older song!

AcornTheBetta

SouthAmericanCichlids

AcornTheBetta

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Muahahahaha

aquafrogg

Lately my favorites have been immortality by Pearl Jam and aerials by System of a Down

Betta'sAnonymous

JettsPapa

This was playing on Pandora just now:

StarGirl

JettsPapa said:
This was playing on Pandora just now:
These youngins aren't going to know what that is.....lol

JettsPapa

StarGirl said:
I know, but I'm glad at least one person did.

I just looked, and the last six songs it's played have been from Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, David Allan Coe, Ernest Tubb, Bobby Bare, and The Band, in that order. I have varied tastes.

Dunk2

I remember folks I considered “old timers” being critical of the music we listened to.

Now I understand what they were talking about. Don’t make ‘em like this anymore.

StarGirl

JettsPapa said:

I just looked, and the last six songs it's played have been from Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, David Allan Coe, Ernest Tubb, Bobby Bare, and The Band, in that order. I have varied tastes.
Mine would be even crazier than that....lol

Betta'sAnonymous

JettsPapa said:

I was planning on seeing David Alan Coe back in April but...well....something happened

ghostdawg

Betta'sAnonymous

A classic

AcornTheBetta

StarGirl said:
Lol true. IDK what that is

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom