What Are You Listening To? - Page 18

Kjeldsen

Copenhagen, by Lucinda Williams Just beautiful

ghostdawg

Quincy Jones - Hummin'

Pariah

And here in 22 minutes, I'll hear it again. Lol.

Gh05t

KinderScout

Some things never get old... the best radio quiz ever.....

ghostdawg

Strawberry Fields - The Beatles

Cold&warm

Found the following two while browsing.
I do not understand a word of either of the songs, but find them extremely beautiful.
On our forum there are people from many different ethnical/cultural backgrounds. Could anyone tell me what the Ukranian text of the first and the Latvian lyrics of the second mean in English (or any other major Western language)?
(1):
(2):

Many thanks in advance .

Edit:
the song became famous through (translations in various languages of) the Russian version ("A million scarlet roses). Unfortunately those lyrics are completely different from the Latvian original .
famous

Betta'sAnonymous

One of my favorites. Ever. Written by some of the best writers/musicians to grace the earth during most of our lifetimes thus far.

ghostdawg

Three Little Birds - Bob Marley

fish 321

The guitar playing in this is amazing.

KinderScout

best of the best

KinderScout

AquEric

I livein south Alabama so I listen to hardcore COUNTRY right now I have Colt Ford on and don't forget everyone
ROLL TIDE

Jerome O'Neil

Whole lot of Justin Townes Earl and Scott H. Biram. I'm covering some of their songs.

Ghost of Virginia right now.

Cold&warm

ghostdawg said:
I also like this version very much:

MacZ

Russian Ska from Austria

ghostdawg

Roxanne

Cold&warm

The original ballad, Tombe la Neige from 1963 sung by the Sicilian(-born) Salvatore Adamo who at age 3 together with his mum followed his dad (who had gone to work in a coal mine) to French-speaking Belgium.
A cover (in Japanese) by the most famous singer the Chinese-speaking world ever has known: Teresa Teng. Apparently the uploader is Russian.
The Japanese version by a native Japanese singer, Fuyumi Sakamoto. She generally sings specific traditional Japanese songs (enka).

Betta'sAnonymous

Betta'sAnonymous

Boys don't cry

Betta'sAnonymous

Sylvia's Mother

CTYankee79

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Boys don't cry
Great song, good to see Robert Smith still around and kicking

Betta'sAnonymous

CTYankee79 said:
Great song, good to see Robert Smith still around and kicking
He a far cry from the Robert Smith of my years though...but they been doing this 40+ years now...whoulda thunkit?

Tunaboy

100 Gecs, Conan Grey, Oliver Tree and Cavetown.

Jerome O'Neil

ghostdawg said:
Oh man, that brings some memories back.

In 1991 I was stationed on USS Ranger, had just made 2nd class petty officer, and my Chief liked me, and another guy. He said "There's a week long training in NAS Millington I want you to take. Also, spend the weekend in Memphis and have a good time."

So TAD to Millington we go. And NAS Millington suuuuuuuuuuuuuks. Mostly a training base so guys fresh out of boot camp are getting marched all over the place, and drywater sailor instructors hassling us for wearing our command caps and threatening to send us to the fleet, which often made us laugh out loud. So, being a couple of fleet E5s, we did what we sailors have done for centuries. We proceeded to drink. A lot. And when hammered and trying to find your way back to the barracks, there is no better song to sing at the top of your lungs than "Three Little Birds." And so we did that, too. I've run into Bill (the guy I was with) a couple of times since then, and we still have a giggle about it.

Memphis was grand, though.

Leeman75

Switchfoot, Skillet, and Red are prominent on my playlist these days.

StarGirl

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I have
Read stories about the amount of acid these guys used to take. Crazy stuff!
I have this song on my phone. Always Loved it! Then it was on Umbrella Academy double love!

Gerard Way is a genius!

julifhy

StarGirl said:
I have this song on my phone. Always Loved it! Then it was on Umbrella Academy double love!

Gerard Way is a genius!
I’m started to listen to MCR again because of the Umbrella Academy hilarious

StarGirl

julifhy said:
I’m started to listen to MCR again because of the Umbrella Academy hilarious
I LOVED Hazy Shade of Winter covered by Gerard and Frank on season 1.

JayAlva

Been going back to disturbed lately this cover performance one of my favorites

Betta'sAnonymous

JayAlva said:
Been going back to disturbed lately this cover performance one of my favorites

I liked their version of "Shout" and the Genesis song they did, but was not such a fan of this one. Not really sure why.

JayAlva

Those were good too!

ghostdawg

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Sylvia's Mother
I haven't heard this in ages...

juniperlea

I was listening to this in my car this morning .... oldie and one of the best!

Betta'sAnonymous

Really old Kenny Rogers(RIP)

KinderScout

One of the all time jazz classics
"Take Five was never meant to be a single - it was meant to be a Joe Morello drum solo..." (Paul Desmond)

kanzekatores

I’ve been into a variety of old music lately; my favorite groups are Oasis, Deep Purple, The Clash, Scritti Politti, and Cocteau Twins

CTYankee79

kanzekatores said:
I’ve been into a variety of old music lately; my favorite groups are Oasis, Deep Purple, The Clash, Scritti Politti, and Cocteau Twins
Huge Oasis and Cocteau Twins fan here. I can dig the clash but really like the Sex Pistols

Magnus919

My tastes are all over the place.

I'm listening to something a little easy, like this Sunday morning.

ghostdawg

Cold&warm

The late James Last was a composer and leader of the . Initially he wa a .
He mainly elaborated on "cl ":

ghostdawg

Run away with me
Lost souls and reverie
Running wild and running free
Two kids, you and me

MacZ

Cold&warm said:
The late James Last was a composer and leader of the . Initially he wa a .
He mainly elaborated on "cl ":
Aaaaahhh! Memories of when I was a kid. *shiver*

He inspired a band that covers pop songs and modern classics in Metal to call themselves "James Blast Orchestra", which he sued them for, since then they are known as "J.B.O.". As they usually change the lyrics to German I picked something in English.

The even covered Weird Al Yankovic in German. And are often compared to him.

I got some more they did in (really bad) English but those have somewhat explicit lyrics, so... yeah, if somebody of the metalheads here wants that stuff, give me a hint via PM.

DoubleDutch

Cold&warm

MacZ said:
Aaaaahhh! Memories of when I was a kid. *shiver*

He inspired a band that covers pop songs and modern classics in Metal to call themselves "James Blast Orchestra", which he sued them for, since then they are known as "J.B.O.". As they usually change the lyrics to German I picked something in English.

The even covered Weird Al Yankovic in German. And are often compared to him.

I had normal volume on and ventured into listening ... nearly got a stroke :inpain:.
I can understand why JL sued them people...

Right now I am listening to "James Last in Holland 1".
As someone wrote on YouTube, "whatever country he went, James Last got the essence of their music." For hours now I have been listening to this compilation - especially to "Spiegelbeeld" at 33:52-35:06. It was originally sung by the cute Amsterdam-girl Willeke Alberti. The James Last interpretation is marvelous... A childhood memory, one of those one fondly carries with him/her forever:
[/QUOTE]

Betta'sAnonymous

Roxy Music

MacZ

Cold&warm said:
I had normal volume on and ventured into listening ... nearly got a stroke :inpain:.
I can understand why JL sued them people...
I thought it was warning enough to say they do Metal covers, I'm sorry. Be glad, this is only about medium on the scale of metal/rock hardness.

The lawsuit was only about the name, not the music. "Blast" was understood as meaning "flatulence" instead of the musical style element in Metal music. They settled on using the abbreviation and censoring (literally writing "censored" over the word) the full name of the band.

Listening right now:

Cold&warm

MacZ said:
I thought it was warning enough to say they do Metal covers, I'm sorry. Be glad, this is only about medium on the scale of metal/rock hardness.

The lawsuit was only about the name, not the music. "Blast" was understood as meaning "flatulence" instead of the musical style element in Metal music. They settled on using the abbreviation and censoring (literally writing "censored" over the word) the full name of the band.

Listening right now:

Due to a tragedy that occured during my childhood (eons ago), I missed out on all the music produced from the 1960s (when it happened, i.e. my brother's death) until 2010, when my mum died. Although she was extremely musikalisch, she could not bear the rhythm and liveliness of pop & co. Imagine growing up in a home without a radio...
Therefore I am practically completely ignorant in (modern) music matters and it takes time to (even partially) fill the gap.
You know a funny thing? I always thought James Last was Dutch (I knew someone who had that surname). But he actually came from Bremen/Bremerhaven, where relatives of mine were living.
Still listening non-stop to JL's rendering (I would call it heavenly) of "Spiegelbeeld, vertel eens even.." This is the original it draws on:

Betta'sAnonymous

Fun song for a friday!

Betta'sAnonymous

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom