What are you doing to your tank today? - Page 62

betta06

planning out some new tanks, feeding and doing a few water changes...
(I am also doing some sorta unplanned betta breeding)

Gudgie

I’ve just sketched about the fourth different idea for the hard scape of the 75 I plan to set up this summer lol!
I’m actually learning a ton from the books I’m reading and I think my scape ideas are definitely getting better. I’m not trying for anything particularly stunning but just a good but aesthetically pleasing scape tor my dwarf chain loaches and rasboras.
Disclaimer - these are NOT my pics or tanks (found on the internet), but I'm using these as inspiration. Haven't attemped to sketch anything out though. Given my skillset, I'll be happy if mine looks half so good as these! I don't think I'm that artistic

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic4.jpg

StarGirl

Disclaimer - these are NOT my pics or tanks (found on the internet), but I'm using these as inspiration. Haven't attemped to sketch anything out though. Given my skillset, I'll be happy if mine looks half so good as these! I don't think I'm that artistic

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic4.jpg
Mine would look like a "nailed it" for sure. I don't have a very good eye for scapes. :cool:

Basil

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic4.jpg
Yeah, they are gorgeous and waaaay beyond my skill set and patience lol!
But I am attempting a working man”s version of something similar to that with the wood sticking up and surrounded by rocks and plants. We’ll see lol!

BigManAquatics

For the first time ever, i saw a piece of spider wood i like...and really have to have!! But the price tag....gotta let the sticker shock wear off a bit before i go back and get that piece.

jake37

How large is that middle tank ? 600 gallons? 400 gallons? 2000 gallons ?

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic4.jpg

Gudgie

How large is that middle tank ? 600 gallons? 400 gallons? 2000 gallons ?
Looks like it was 48x18x16”, so around 65 gallons. But it’s definitely hard to tell - looks massive!
Mine would look like a "nailed it" for sure. I don't have a very good eye for scapes. :cool:
Oh yeah, I fully expect my tank to be a “nailed it” entry. Anything better, I’ll just be pleasantly/shockingly surprised.

jake37

Looks closer to 96x24x24 ? 240 gallons? Maybe 96x30x24 ?

Looks like it was 48x18x16”, so around 65 gallons. But it’s definitely hard to tell - looks massive!

FrogLegged

Just added some Monte Carlo toupees to the bald spots in my aquarium and it’s actually taking root finally! Looks like it’s going to work.

21FEC80C-DE84-46BF-8415-4EFD39EDDF5B.jpeg

BettaCyrus

Got my ammonium chloride, digital thermometer for temp tank & my crazy, long gloves (I get a lot of cuts on my hands & have been taping short vinyl gloves around my wrists, so seemed like a good investment!) in the mail... adding amm to 8.5 gall cycling tank (had been feeding it pellets, which got pretty nasty so I removed & switched to flakes, now this), and doing a 50% water change w/aq salt on hospital/temp tank for Cyrus. Also adding in the new thermometer to see how inaccurate the other two are.

Gudgie

Looks closer to 96x24x24 ? 240 gallons? Maybe 96x30x24 ?
Sorry, meant that 48x18x16 were the official dimensions listed for the tank, so pretty sure around 65 gal. Looks like it was from an aquascaping competition.

Lilthuglet

Water changes in all 5 tanks and off to my LFS to find some more life food, some more dried tiny food, and maybe some plants and /or guppies for the new tank that is finally cycled.

Makalah

Hi guys!
Sunday’s are water change and cleaning days for me so I’m just sitting back now and enjoying the fruits of my labor, so to speak LOL. Everyone is all nice and clean and water changed out. I actually caught “big red” (shrimp) out today enjoying the new water!

What are you doing with your tanks today? I’d love to see photos!

Attachments

• 777FF2C7-5A5B-4078-8B02-7EF9B07D87C1.jpeg
    777FF2C7-5A5B-4078-8B02-7EF9B07D87C1.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 7FC865E4-EC70-418A-AE34-2DD15063E916.jpeg
    7FC865E4-EC70-418A-AE34-2DD15063E916.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 094E019E-E16C-43BE-AF17-35D63D3783A6.jpeg
    094E019E-E16C-43BE-AF17-35D63D3783A6.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 12

Cara

Mine are the "haphazard " look....I TRULY nailed it :rolleyes:

StarGirl

Did water changes today. Gave the pleco a pepper. My little one eyed Cardinal is still kickin around.

TucanSam

Trying to get the motivation to organize my room so I can work on bringing my new 60 gallon in, so I can start setting it up to move my multie's into it and then eventually get it set up to add some juli's into it.

Sunday is usually water change day, but those will get pushed to tomorrow since I'm trying to get other stuff done.

Cara

WC on all 3 tanks with general maintenance and rearranging. It was MOVING DAY....2mo platies were moved to grown up tank. 2wk UI fry released from baby box.

Needless to say....the 2wos were ecstatic...the 2mos PETRIFIED! they are chillin together in the corner.

Screenshot_20210228-180343_Video Player.jpg

Now that my UI fry:
20210228_180120.jpgare 2wo....anyone want to guess what they are? I got them free from PC. At the time there were balloon molly and yin yang guppy in the tank.
..gotta let the sticker shock wear off a bit before i go back and get that piece.
Don't wait too long. it may be gone
Oh...I forgot...I'm experimenting with pothos in my tanks....I loved the looks I've seen here and on yt. Just hope they take hold and look decent. if not....just add it to my haphazard look

BigManAquatics

All caught up on tank maintenace. Going to have to start fry watch soon on the 29, seems to be 2-3 pregnant platies.

Fishfriendof315

A couple days late but got 13 red neos and got them into the new twenty. Picked up a 125G for $100, stand included. I DONT NEED ANOTHER AQUARIUM!!! Lol! Got a brainstorm of dividing it up into 3 sections. A salt brack and fresh, all in sequence, maybe? Waiting for the wife to stop being mad at me.

BabsandLoon

Water tests.

Despite my careful planning I am certain I lost some of what little cycle I had going due to not being able to set the tank up as soon as I wanted after the move.

So far the numbers still look good but I’m testing every day until I know everything is stable.

bcsay720

APPARENTLY rescaping my nursery. It's only a 1.5g with 4 wisteria propogations and 2 baby bladder snails to help with cycling. WELL, I came home from work just now, and one was completely uprooted (in its defense, it only has 1 root so far) and another moved.... two entire inches to the left? I can't imagine a bladder snail pushing a plant that far through gravel. Can't wait till my partner gets home to find out if he had anything to do with this...

betta06

hopefully getting a 5 gallon filterless tank (if my parents let me) and lots of plants for it and my other tanks...

Josie12012

Spent some time reorganizing my 90gallon community tank and my 10 gallon today! Moved over several plants that had been growing out in my fry tank. And have cuttings of the plants reorganized in my 10 gallon to grow out! Now to figure out what to do with my 30 gallon tank... more fun pandemic projects!

Attachments

• B5FFF5BC-7BB9-4416-95B3-4C4789A7E528.jpeg
    B5FFF5BC-7BB9-4416-95B3-4C4789A7E528.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 13
  • FE9A9563-C1AA-43BF-8C8E-07425F26E6CA.jpeg
    FE9A9563-C1AA-43BF-8C8E-07425F26E6CA.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 10

Betta02

Working on putting on the background on my new 33 long, getting the filter put together. Still waiting on my plants that will probably be dead when they get here.o_O

jake37

Did today's water change on the 40 and did a bit of trimming. The problem with taking pictures after a wter change is everything starts to well bubble

t1.jpg
t2.jpg

BabsandLoon

First water change on the 60g after the move.
Test finally showed some ammonia so I am doing a 50% wc and then back to daily testing.

BigManAquatics

Not much today. Just feedings and tumor check. See if it has grown some and the poor guy's behavior.

tapwater

Did a quick 16% water change, and fed my betta some bloodworms and pellets today. Thinking about changing around my betta fish's feeding regiment (usually just feed him once a day, in the mornings), and maybe writing out some schedule for that.

Also, I'm still in the process of trying to cycle my tank, and it feels like I'm making no progress. haven't seen any sign of nitrites what so ever (started trying to cycle with API QuickStart on 2/12/2021, so its been two weeks). It kinda feels like the QuickStart just hasn't worked for me, and I'm not sure if it's working or not. If it's not working, then I feel like it might be because I didn't store it in a cool place like it says in the instructions (maybe I should've put it in the fridge when I bought it?). Still need to do a test on my tap water to see what I'm working with, so I think I'll do that in a few minutes. Then, tomorrow I'll test the tank water to see how everything's going.

jake37

Usual mid week water change on 120,29.29. This is what the 120 looks like when water has been removed:

x3.jpg

And this is what it looks like refilled:

x1.jpg

And this is a sword leaf that annoyed me:

sw.jpg

The lilies are now trying to out compete the vals for most annoying plant. I did not plant 10 of them - i planted 2 and they went dormant 6 months ago and now with veng. they are attacking me everywhere including the far left back corner which never knew lilies existed.

Anyway any suggestions on how to trim this mess so the angels aren't crammed against the front glass - i really did a lot of cuttings today but it seems to not have made much of a dent and unlike stem plants it is difficult to trim anubia and swords

Mandy627

Usual mid week water change on 120,29.29. This is what the 120 looks like when water has been removed:

x3.jpg

x1.jpg

sw.jpg

The lilies are now trying to out compete the vals for most annoying plant. I did not plant 10 of them - i planted 2 and they went dormant 6 months ago and now with veng. they are attacking me everywhere including the far left back corner which never knew lilies existed.

Anyway any suggestions on how to trim this mess so the angels aren't crammed against the front glass - i really did a lot of cuttings today but it seems to not have made much of a dent and unlike stem plants it is difficult to trim anubia and swords
You should try to dig up some of those lily bulbs if you dont want them getting bigger, maybe throw some in an extra tank, maybe remove some clones from vals too? Not sure exactly, but your tank is absolutely beautiful.

tapwater

Tested my tap water today, and the results were really good. Gonna do a test of my tank parameters after a meeting I have today.

John58ford

x3.jpg

x1.jpg

sw.jpg

Pulling the lilys up and dividing some stems and their attached root mass off the bulbs does usually reduce their maximum number of pads for a while. I divided mine several times, can't find enough places to put all the mini plants though.

That sword leaf is impressive, I have a few that are 12 inches of leaf, but no stems like that. Do they start to grow longer stems after the leaves hit the surface like an emerged plant would before being submerged?

jake37

Dividing the lilies is good advice but I won't do it mostly because this tank is 24 inches deep and it is really difficult to muck with things in the substrate (I guess i have short arms).

The ruffle sword actually did what you described below (it is the large green sword in the middle back); that particular sword I'm not sure what it is doing - it has to compete with a lot of other plants or as you suggest it might be searching for the surface. I might have to reset it (cut all the leaves off at the base which is what i had to do to the ruffle); but i'm not at that point. The ruffle sword leaves (actual leaves) are quite a bit larger - both longer and wider but the current stems are shorter. There is a third sword on the right side that I believe is a generic Bleheri that is also quite large and that one is most annoying - it sends out runners at least once a week and each runner has at least 4 new plants (see posting above where i cut one of them that i had missed) and sometimes it sneaks them into the java farm (front right) which results in baby swords that get quite large before i notice them. I don't mind having one of them but i really don't want 20 of them. Since all three of those swords are in the back and i can't get a stool behind the tank they can get quite annoying.
-
What I am most impressed with is the rate the anubia are growing esp the one that is front left by the angels. That one was very small last year and it has put on a decent size.
-
When i move - still another 13-14 months away - and tear down this tank - i'm going to reconsider what goes in it - in the 40B i've been playing with mostly smaller swords and I'll probably try to keep with those - they are also more colourful...

Pulling the lilys up and dividing some stems and their attached root mass off the bulbs does usually reduce their maximum number of pads for a while. I divided mine several times, can't find enough places to put all the mini plants though.

That sword leaf is impressive, I have a few that are 12 inches of leaf, but no stems like that. Do they start to grow longer stems after the leaves hit the surface like an emerged plant would before being submerged?

BigManAquatics

Nothing much. Fish are fed. Betta still has a tumor, doesn't look like it's growing anymore, fish still active and eating normal(like a pig).

StarGirl

Same with no tumor.

John58ford

Watching the BEX rams try to breed again. Allot more eggs this time. I might set up the hospital tank as a make shift hatchery/nursery, sounds like allot of work though lol .

20210303_192620.jpg

Pariah

Well hello there Mr. Hair Algae. I have someone I'd like you to meet.

20210305_044040.jpg

I've been very busy at work due to being short staffed, so I missed a cleaning. Gotta do some some trimming, water changes, diatom control and nuke this hair algae. Our other tank isn't bad at all. Just some light diatoms.

FreshwaterCole

Well, finally got a shelf for the fishroom yesterday.
Set that up and placed in fishroom, moved two tanks onto it and cleared up some space.
So today is just regular plant trimming and some light maintenance on our Polypterus tank....just incase anyone was wondering!
Have a great weekend everyone

Jack B Nimble

Continue installing a floor drain system for my fish room and adding an auto water change system. Its a lot of work and planning but, for me that is the fun part.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JLDJ
Replies
Views
Loulou1
Replies
Views
devsi
  • Question