What are you doing to your tank today? - Page 31

Mandy627

I'm being watched by a mob of golden wonders, trying to clean off glass while they nip at my fingers and splash water in my face.

jake37

I'm trying to decide what i need to clean up tomorrow in the 29 (which cleared nicely); when i do a water change. On the one hand that clump of hornworth isn't the prettiest on the left on the other hand the fishes like it so maybe i'll just leave it alone. What do you think? Do i need to actually do anything to this tank during tomorrow's water change:

TClare

Did a water change on my smaller (175l) tank, got rid of excess floating plants and trimmed and replanted other plants, added fertilizer. Then I caught all the pencilfish from my larger tank and moved them to the smaller one as they (like the neons before them) had started to disappear and I am blaming the Cichlasomas in the bigger tank....Those cichlids have also uprooted plants and disturbed the substrate by digging, 2 have formed a pair and started to cause trouble. Also have an algae attack in the larger tank at the moment, so I am not too happy with that one just now. The smaller tank looks nice and is for the moment peaceful, with the neons, pencilfish, a pair of Apistos and two small angelfish.

Pythia

I've been feeding my nerites cucumbers but they don't seem to want it for some reason.

kgalle

Vacuuming nerite turds.

Betta'sAnonymous

jake37 said:
I'm trying to decide what i need to clean up tomorrow in the 29 (which cleared nicely); when i do a water change. On the one hand that clump of hornworth isn't the prettiest on the left on the other hand the fishes like it so maybe i'll just leave it alone. What do you think? Do i need to actually do anything to this tank during tomorrow's water change:

Nothing looks too urgent to my eyes.

I better do a water change on the 29g tonight. It has been a full 7-8days i think...

John58ford

Last night I did my pre lazy weekend waterchanges. While I had the water down I released my wild caught basalt into the 20 long. The basalt hasn't taken its natural formation but I think it will work well for the new inhabitants I should be putting in there next week.

Hopefully this evening I will be able to put some time into finally finishing my build posts about this rack.
Edit: got a better picture, I think I really like what this tank could end up looking like grown in.

jake37

Did the usual water change today to the 120,29,29. Decided i have to clean the filter pre-filter twice a week to keep it from clogging. Had a fight with my less than angel angels because they are guarding eggs. Clean up the 29 a little (picture above) so that one of the bulb plants isn't trapped by the driftwood. Trying to decide what to do about the kuhli digging to china but for now moved the plant that was in that corner to an area where it won't constantly get buried (can't have my plants falling all the way to china). Hum... i think that is enough for today time for a shower and to find a paddle for those angels.

AcornTheBetta

Sputnik

jake37

Betta'sAnonymous

Just finished weekly water change on the 29.

Mandy627

Pythia said:
I've been feeding my nerites cucumbers but they don't seem to want it for some reason.
Try zucchini next time if you can! It has more vitamins and my shrimp and snails favor that over cucumber every time.

NoahLikesFish

I just tore down my little shrimp tank project thing as it was going nowhere and I added the components to my 10 gallon main tank here’s a pic:

Pythia

Mandy627 said:
Try zucchini next time if you can! It has more vitamins and my shrimp and snails favor that over cucumber every time.
Ok, thank you! I will try that next time.

Demonskid

Today is water change day for my shrimp tank. Also, it's been a while since they've had some greens so I put some spinach in their tank. Some times I wonder why I even have a food dish inside the tank. They just pull the food out of it and carry it off. Even when I crush up the pellets, they'll just roll the pellet dust into balls and leave.

V1K

Demonskid said:
Some times I wonder why I even have a food dish inside the tank. They just pull the food out of it and carry it off. Even when I crush up the pellets, they'll just roll the pellet dust into balls and leave.
Yeah, seems pointless. I served Repashy to my fish in a dish one time, my idea being that this would make it convenient for hillstream loaches but not for rosy barbs. The barbs ripped it to pieces and soon it was all over the gravel, which is when the loaches finally dared to approach, as they find barbs too overwhelming (although they're getting somewhat bolder). Now I don't bother with dishes anymore, just throw chunks of it here and there.

86 ssinit

I’m away so all I can do is check through the cameras .

jmaldo

Cool! A fish cam.

Did you get a signed release? Otherwise you have to skew their faces. LOL

Nikao

I did water changes to today. I was slacking for several months and doing them every other week. I think that things were getting too dirty, so now I am switching back to once a week. The tanks look pristine again!!

My new Rams will be happy with this, too!

Betta'sAnonymous

Going on a quest today to find some driftwood i like. Mmaybe also going to get another mystery snail or 2 for my wife's tank.

Dippiedee

Water changed the 160 and tried out my new fluval pro vac; loved it. Makes water changes so much easier and I'm not killing myself trying to reach the bottom of the tank with the siphon

Heres a picture of the tank for no reason at all

aquachris

Not doing much myself. What I wanted to do my angelfish put a stop to and laid eggs. I need to move their tank lol.

faydout

Just picked up a 15 - 24" Aquasky for my 10G from Petsmart for $30. Hoping it grows the Christmas moss in that tank (lol the nicrew on there now works fine, I just prefer having all my lights be Fluvals so I can set them all from the 1 app).

Dippiedee

faydout said:
Just picked up a 15 - 24" Aquasky for my 10G from Petsmart for $30. Hoping it grows the Christmas moss in that tank (lol the nicrew on there now works fine, I just prefer having all my lights be Fluvals so I can set them all from the 1 app).
I got the same light a week ago and it cost £65

faydout

It's normally $60 in the US, this was a black friday deal though. I wasn't really in the market for a new light on that tank right now, but couldn't pass it up.

aquafrogg

I’m rescaping both of my tanks today! I managed to score a huge tub of plant clippings for free on Facebook marketplace I’ll add pictures soon

MacZ

Cleaned out the Nano on my desk and redid the layout. No problem as it's only plants.

jake37

Today i was checking on my pail. You know i kind of wish they made clear 5 gallon pails but they don't or do they?

Anyway here is my pail:

--
What happened is i was trying to remove all the duckweed from a tank so i took all the frogbit out and put it in a pail! But then one day before i moved the frogbit back i noticed that there were some guppy frys in the pail. Hum... so i added a sponge filter but then i had to add some light (that light is about 2x brighter than most aquarium lights). Then i had all these little annoying mystery snails so i started collecting them and putting them in the pail. Then i ordered some shrimp but the day they arrived my tank sprung a leak so i stuck the shrimp in the pail. Today i got a few more shrimps and they will go in the pail. I have no clue what is in that pail or how many of what or if they get enough to eat but hey it is a pail:

One thing is for sure frogbit grows really well in a pail. The roots on those suckers are like nearly 2 feet long. They never got that long in the tanks but in the pail....

Rcslade124

I am making 30g of saltwater for a water change tomorrow. Also planning on doing 50% water change on my 40g breeder. Now that I have a ro booster pump I am going to replace 20g of ro water to lower my tds in my ram tank.

Nikao

DIY HOB filtration system

I did the one bigger one downstairs, but here is the finished product

aquafrogg

Rescape number one!

before:

after:

BlackOsprey

Tried to clean my tank. The filter ended up spitting out a ridiculous amount of gunk so now everything looks dirtier than before. Sheesh.

I also (finally!!!) found some real honey gouramis, not those thick-lip lookalikes. I bought a trio along with a whiteworm culture, the fish are sitting in my quarantine tank and I'm researching how to best culture whiteworms.

Cara

Bought a matching 36g bow/stand at PS today. 2nd year Black Friday sale. It's hiding in the car until I can sneak it upstairs. my family is gonna FREAK!

jake37

Freak in a good way or bad way ?

Cara said:
Bought a matching 36g bow/stand at PS today. 2nd year Black Friday sale. It's hiding in the car until I can sneak it upstairs. my family is gonna FREAK!

Cara

t
jake37 said:
Freak in a good way or bad way ?
Not sure yet. I'll get back to you on that

Betta'sAnonymous

Cara said:
t

Not sure yet. I'll get back to you on that
I'll go tell 'em for you!!

Started soaking 3 pieces of driftwood in a bucket. Was turning to tannin soup!

Cara

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Started soaking 3 pieces of driftwood
Ooh....thanks for reminding me. I have driftwood to soak too

Betta'sAnonymous

Cara said:
Ooh....thanks for reminding me. I have driftwood to soak too
Actually just refilled the bucket with super hot water again. My wife's expression earlier...."how long are you planning on keeping that bucket inside? It's gross!!!"

So i lost, the bucket is outside

John58ford

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Actually just refilled the bucket with super hot water again. My wife's expression earlier...."how long are you planning on keeping that bucket inside? It's gross!!!"

So i lost, the bucket is outside
I have way more places to hide a bucket in the house than one would think. The tv stand,took the shelf out and stacked them. Holds 2x 5 gal. China cabinet, took out a shelf, Holds 1. Under the counter in the cabinet where she makes me hide "my" crab/stock pot, well, that's another 5 gallons right there. I had to beg for something big enough to hold my pony drum, but why would she ever care to check the surround sound, my crab pot, or the China cabinet? No one uses "china" anyways lol.

Pfrozen

jake37 said:
Today i was checking on my pail. You know i kind of wish they made clear 5 gallon pails but they don't or do they?

Anyway here is my pail:

--
What happened is i was trying to remove all the duckweed from a tank so i took all the frogbit out and put it in a pail! But then one day before i moved the frogbit back i noticed that there were some guppy frys in the pail. Hum... so i added a sponge filter but then i had to add some light (that light is about 2x brighter than most aquarium lights). Then i had all these little annoying mystery snails so i started collecting them and putting them in the pail. Then i ordered some shrimp but the day they arrived my tank sprung a leak so i stuck the shrimp in the pail. Today i got a few more shrimps and they will go in the pail. I have no clue what is in that pail or how many of what or if they get enough to eat but hey it is a pail:

One thing is for sure frogbit grows really well in a pail. The roots on those suckers are like nearly 2 feet long. They never got that long in the tanks but in the pail....
Lol you've never even looked inside? your pail is now a perfectly legit aquarium haha

V1K

Today I ordered a battery powered compressor in case of power shortage. I couldn't find anything powerful enough, this compressor only pumps 18 litres of air per hour, whereas my tank is 112 L, but at least it would provide some surface agitation, which is better than nothing, right? While at it I ordered some air tube and suction cups, as I have a new idea what to do with water lettuce. I want to make a one row curtain of roots in the front of the tank, that way it won't block much light for other plants and will look cozy, but the tube I have now is too short for that and the suction cups are too big and ugly.

Nikao

I updated my HOB filters yesterday with custom media. It upset the cycle of my 30G, and the Angelfish got sick. Thank Jesus I had another established sponge filter upstairs that I switched out with!

Happy fish!!

I’m not so sure that I like what I did with the HOB filters quite yet. I will have to maybe switch that up.

MacZ

Scheduled weekly waterchange tonight, after I've done all the other stuff on my to-do for the day.

Cara

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I'll go tell 'em for you!!

Started soaking 3 pieces of driftwood in a bucket. Was turning to tannin soup!
Is this obvious?

V1K said:
ordered a battery powered compressor
We had power out 5 days back in August. these were NOWHERE to be found. I have since secured one for my emergency box

Cara said:
We had power out 5 days back in August. these were NOWHERE to be found. I have since secured one for my emergency box
And don't forget the batteries. I couldn't find any D at the time

V1K

Cara said:
We had power out 5 days back in August.
Oh my! I don't think I've experienced such a long outage in my life! How did your fish survive it?

jake37

Usual water change on the 120,29,29. Through away two large handfulls of hornworth (don't worry was only a small portion of what was in the tank. Above i've shown picture of hte 29 i rebuilt. The other 29 next to it has 10 times the hornworth to get a feel for just how much is in there). Snipped a mile of jungle val leaves. Still have 20 miles left. Don't mind me i like the stuff but food gets trap in it and then decay. need a stronger wave over the top of them. To get a feel some of these leaves are 8 feet long so they are already doubling back across the top. Er were 8 feet - i got all of those with the snipping. Snip snip snip.

aquachris

Just cleaned out about 150lbs of BDBS for new tank projects... Figured while weather is bearable better get it all done!

Debating on today starting to move things to the new 20 gallon rack system... If I can find the energy.

bcsay720

Just finished my glowlight tetra school! That means I'm almost finished stocking. Just a few more weeks!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom