What are you doing to your tank today? - Page 30

MacZ

Member
86 ssinit said:
Filled up the new (used) 125. Waiting for pump for wet dry and only have a magnum moving water around. Last night
and this morning
a little cloudy.
Like a blank canvas. What's the plan for this one?
 

86 ssinit

Member
Not sure. Went out today looking for driftwood at the stores but nobody has anything any good . Have a nice piece I picked up but it’s a floater. Weighed it down for 2 weeks but it still popped back up. Next I bought 2 clear containers from odd lots and filled them with gravel. Will add some osmacote and some plants later. Other than that no ideas.
 

aquachris

Member
I accidently bought two racks of 20 gallon longs.... Not sure how this stuff happens. LOL
 

PascalKrypt

Member
Round of live feeding (white mosquito larvae & bloodworm). Then sitting back and enjoying the show

aquachris said:
I accidently bought two racks of 20 gallon longs.... Not sure how this stuff happens. LOL
Think you need to ask the tooth fairy to stop granting your wishes then. Got any plans for them?
 

jake37

Member
I've had good luck with kensfishstore. It is of course blind purcahse since there are no pictures but so far i'm about 7 out of 10.

86 ssinit said:
Not sure. Went out today looking for driftwood at the stores but nobody has anything any good . Have a nice piece I picked up but it’s a floater. Weighed it down for 2 weeks but it still popped back up. Next I bought 2 clear containers from odd lots and filled them with gravel. Will add some osmacote and some plants later. Other than that no ideas.
 

Cara

Member
aquachris said:
I accidently bought two racks of 20 gallon longs.... Not sure how this stuff happens. LOL
Accidently???
 

jake37

Member
Accidents happen. All sort of accidents happen. I tend to end up with a lot of fishes because of accidents.

Cara said:
Accidently???
 

aquachris

Member
Cara said:
Accidently???
jake37 said:
Accidents happen. All sort of accidents happen. I tend to end up with a lot of fishes because of accidents.
Yes, accidently. I didn't "plan" on looking at facebook marketplace, and I didn't "plan" on seeing that setup I just had to have...
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
I got nerites for my 29g. 1 tiger, 1 olive, and 2 zebra nerites.
 

StarGirl

Member
Pulled some Vals out to make room for a new sponge filter to seed. My female betta made a trip to the 55g. Doing "perfectly splendid". The Cherry shrimp are having a celebration because the betta is gone.. Ding dong the bettas gone!
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Nothing today. Bettas getting water changes tomorrow though. If i am motivated, will get the 29g as well.
 

jake37

Member
Better keep that tiger away from the zebras - after all tigers love to eat zebras....

AcornTheBetta said:
I got nerites for my 29g. 1 tiger, 1 olive, and 2 zebra nerites.
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
jake37 said:
Better keep that tiger away from the zebras - after all tigers love to eat zebras....
Yes he already took a bit out of the olive. I think that is his appetizer...
 

Cara

Member
Explaining to an 8yo why Mickey keeps so close to Chloe
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Cara said:
Explaining to an 8yo why Mickey keeps so close to Chloe
"Let me tell you about the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees...."

The fun parts about being a parent...
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
Cara said:
Explaining to an 8yo why Mickey keeps so close to Chloe
"They are best friends"
 

Cara

Member
Betta'sAnonymous said:
fun parts about being a parent
It's not MY kid! Been there, done that...this is my grandkid so I need to use the same kind of convo that mom would use
 

Basil

Member
Did the rescape on the 40 breeder tan. Hopefully, with nothing actually planted in the substrate, the “Gardners” aka the golden diamond barbs will leave the anubias alone.
Pictures of before and after.
 

veggieshark

Member
Nothing extraordinary. Filter clean and water change on two 10g tanks. Algae cleaning on glasses. Changed heater on one 10g because it doesn't seem to work.
 

Cara

Member
veggieshark said:
Nothing extraordinary. Filter clean and water change on two 10g tanks. Algae cleaning on glasses. Changed heater on one 10g because it doesn't seem to work.
Sometimes it's mundane
 

John58ford

Member
Went out and caught some wild basalt rock today. After a soak I'll figure out what to make out of it.

 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
John58ford said:
Went out and caught some wild basalt rock today. After a soak I'll figure out what to make it of it.

Hope they didn't bite too hard and pull you in!
 

86 ssinit

Member
Not knowing much on the basalt rock are they a water rock or a land rock that you’ve washed? If a water rock what bait did you use? Pebbles?
 

John58ford

Member
86 ssinit said:
Not knowing much on the basalt rock are they a water rock or a land rock that you’ve washed? If a water rock what bait did you use? Pebbles?
submarine/subaerial forming volcanic rock. Far too tricky for bait, I used a dog to sniff them out today.
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
John58ford said:
Went out and caught some wild basalt rock today. After a soak I'll figure out what to make it of it.

A rarity to see a real wild caught specimen in the hobby...
 

V1K

Member
Ordered some additional gravel. I have a constant problem of uprooting my stem plants whenever I do cleanup, and it was pointed out to me that my gravel layer is on a thin side. It will be bothersome to add it, because I have tons of hardscape there, but oh well. Also the gravel I ordered now should be smoother and smaller fraction than the one I have now, so it should also look much nicer when I add it, and more pleasant for my animals.
While at it, I also ordered some root tabs and a thermometer (my tank is unheated, but I'll need to keep an eye on the temperature when summer heatwaves strike, make sure that things don't get out of hand.)
 

Cara

Member
John58ford said:
Went out and caught some wild basalt rock
What kind of bait do you use for that?
 

MacZ

Member
Just finished the waterchanges for this week, did a little gardening on the Egeria and the Hydrocotyle.
 

Dippiedee

Member
Bought some spiralis vallisneria for my 160. I think I want to turn it into a jungle eventually
 

hyperheide

Member
Did the regular water change on my 47 gal Myanmar tank. Removed only small amounts of moss and süßwassertang. The fishies look good...
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Trying to get myself started on the betta water changes. Sports and kitties are distracting. Kitties wanna snuggle today since i am not at work.
 

MacZ

Member
I'm so pleased with my tank right now, here some pics.


 

jake37

Member
No pictures; nothing fancy. Just check ammonia level in the recently setup 29. I think it was running around 0.10ppm in the pail probably closer to 0.05. The tank seems to have settled to 0 overnight. Will double check tomorrow. Just kind of glad no one felt like whacking anyone else when crammed in the pail and with the transfer all the old territories are gone; though one of the female h. apisto was trying to teach the sterbai to stay on the other side of the tank. best of all the kuhli aren't hiding anymore (yet). They don't even run from their shadow but as before they are still trying to dig to china during the nights.
 

faydout

Member
jake37 said:
one of the female h. apisto was trying to teach the sterbai to stay on the other side of the tank
I don't mind so much my female doing this. She generally just bumps them in the flanks to nudge them away. The male's killed 3 of my Sterbai, and I'm hoping that I can wait out raising 2 of their fry enough to rehome so I can turn that 10G into a she shed for the Mrs. Hopefully... this will cause the male to chill out a bit. Watching the 2 of them, she looks like she knows exactly what she's doing all the time. The male comes off more like a big, dumb, oaf who tries to follow her lead but goes overboard when he does. I'll be taking one of your tricks with that 10 before I make it her home (have plenty of plants and substrate ready to go). I need to get a dremmel (to make a frame out of lexan for the foam), a trip to Ace to build the outflow tube, and a good sheet of foam so I can make a matten filter for this tank.
 

jake37

Member
Guess i'm lucky so far my males ignore both the other male and the sterbai. he leaves the pushing to the female.

As for my cockatoo i've seen no agression 'cept towards the nannacara and even that has been very minor just a poke. The only time the nannacara has been actively aggressive was when the kribs were in the tank. He hated the kribs and actively hunted them (until they both (m/f) ganged up on him - then he just stared them down but didn't actually nip).
-
Anyway to my eyes no one is damaging anyone these days with the kribs removed.
-
The females for both cockatoo and nannacara seem to take hard to reach areas in the very back of the tank and there isn't much fish interaction back there though the snails might be an issue.
-

faydout said:
I don't mind so much my female doing this. She generally just bumps them in the flanks to nudge them away. The male's killed 3 of my Sterbai, and I'm hoping that I can wait out raising 2 of their fry enough to rehome so I can turn that 10G into a she shed for the Mrs. Hopefully... this will cause the male to chill out a bit. Watching the 2 of them, she looks like she knows exactly what she's doing all the time. The male comes off more like a big, dumb, oaf who tries to follow her lead but goes overboard when he does. I'll be taking one of your tricks with that 10 before I make it her home (have plenty of plants and substrate ready to go). I need to get a dremmel (to make a frame out of lexan for the foam), a trip to Ace to build the outflow tube, and a good sheet of foam so I can make a matten filter for this tank.
 

Pythia

Member
I did a water change today and I had to scrub snail poop off the glass
 

StarGirl

Member
Water changed the 55g and just watched my fish roam around. Seen my cherry shrimp for the first time since I got them and My Von Rio is in love with the betta.....lol
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
Pythia said:
I did a water change today and I had to scrub snail poop off the glass
My nerites left some early Christmas presents in the foreground of my tank
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Bettas got their water change. Next weekend i hope to start doing some prep work for future scapes.
 

jake37

Member
Git use to it this is an hourly activity. Btw isn't it early for christmas.

AcornTheBetta said:
My nerites left some early Christmas presents in the foreground of my tank
 

86 ssinit

Member
So I added some wood and some rummie noses
still waiting on pump. Added a second powerhead.
 

FinalFins

Member
hyperheide said:
Did the regular water change on my 47 gal Myanmar tank. Removed only small amounts of moss and süßwassertang. The fishies look good...
Nice tank! also lovely cpds, whats the secret to keeping them alive?
 

AllAboutAngelfish

Member

The 55 gallon = 1 angel 2 platys 1 guppie 4 black skirts 1bushynose pleco 1 mystery snail 3 khuli loaches 3 albino corys (cory eggs are in the container)
<img src="blob:chrome-untrusted://media-app/2c15cd97-5f8d-4bed-a819-b6aa6e83ad50" alt="IMG_20201123_160059.jpg"/>
the 2 10 gallons 1 with 2 bettas and 1 with 1 betta (yes in 1 one im breeding bettas)
bolth have live plants
 

Basil

Member
WC on the 75 and both 10’s today. Enjoying a glass of Tempranillo and watching the 75 in moonlight mode. Really happy with this tank right now. Look at the size of that red tiger lotus in the center. Purchased that plant from Dave125g almost two years ago.
 

Fishproblem

Member
All the low tech freshwater tanks are getting water changes! I'm mixing salt so that I can FINALLY start cycling my pico reef!

...And I ordered hose barb reducers so that my new inline heater will fit my canister filter
 

John58ford

Member
Just some heavy cutbacks, mostly sword and lilly. Looking forward to some heavy waterchanges tomorrow now that I found the secret mulm hideouts.

Mulmy goodness:

Decent pile of clippings at least.
 

hyperheide

Member
FinalFins said:
Nice tank! also lovely cpds, whats the secret to keeping them alive?
Thanks!
I would say the secret is to keep trying . I lost many of them over time, but I don't have as many losses now as I had at the beginning. It will probably take some more years for me to figure them out completely. I overfeed them a little, which seems to help. A lot of CPDs that I see in the shops are way to thin. Breeding them is acutally very easy, so there is no reason for me to ever buy new ones.
 

V1K

Member
Today I received additional gravel for my tank and added it. It was quite a chore, because I had lots of stuff to move about, and halfway through it the water got so hazy I could barely see what I'm doing. Therefore I had to do a WC ahead of schedule too. The water is still a bit foggy, but I hope the filter will deal with it - I also changed the filter sponge to finer one so it collects fine particles better. The filter has a separate container with ceramic cylinders for biological filtration, so changing the sponge shouldn't cause any trouble. After adding the gravel I rescaped a bit. I added more stones and try to make their arrangement a bit more 'aquascapy', as much as it's possible when your stones are all over the place in terms of size, colour and shape.
Rosy barbs are so happy-go-lucky. All the time I was pretty much tearing the place apart, they were like "Yay, adventure! Wow, this driftwood has underside, who knew, how exciting!". The hillstreams were less happy about it, but by the end of it, after I changed water and was rearranging some rocks for the 3rd time some of them were like "ugh, you just do your thing, we'll do our thing" and were grazing on stones right next to the ones I was moving around. Only the smallest and shyest one seemed to be stressed, and is still hiding.
 

QueenKrib

Member
Finished setting up my 90g display tank today! My african knife fish, african featherfin catfish and my kribenis are eagerly waiting their turns to be introduced !! I would also love very to have a group of Cory's in the future!
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom