What are you doing to your tank today? - Page 29

aquachris

Pfrozen said:
Its a 20 and I have help so that will be fine. Im more worried about the bottom breaking
Just go slow and be careful. I've done it with 10s quite a bit.. I'd probably do it with a 20. Hold by the trim on the bottom.

jake37

Some do but i wouldn't. I always remove everything from the tank including all substrate.

Pfrozen said:
I need to move a tank today actually, how do you safely move it? I was thinking I could drain 80% of the water and pick it up but my tank is glass bottom. would that be okay?

Pfrozen

jake37 said:
Some do but i wouldn't. I always remove everything from the tank including all substrate.
This tank has like 6 inches of soil in it and it has BBA so I really don't want to touch it. I'm worried that A) itll be too messy and B) a lot of my fish are biofilm grazers so replacing things and messing around with it might not be a great idea. But if I have to do that I obviously will lol. itll just be a big PITA

86 ssinit

Pfrozen said:
I need to move a tank today actually, how do you safely move it? I was thinking I could drain 80% of the water and pick it up but my tank is glass bottom. would that be okay?
That’s what I did. I had the discus laying sideways and maybe at most 2” of water. I saved 10g of water got my son to help lift and put the 10g back in and than filled with new water. I picked up from bottom and walked it to new area. Your tank being glass is stronger and solider than the acrylic so you should be fine. How big of a tank?

Pfrozen

86 ssinit said:
That’s what I did. I had the discus laying sideways and maybe at most 2” of water. I saved 10g of water got my son to help lift and put the 10g back in and than filled with new water. I picked up from bottom and walked it to new area. Your tank being glass is stronger and solider than the acrylic so you should be fine. How big of a tank?
Awesome. Its just a 20 high. It does have quite a bit of substrate but its mostly light peat

86 ssinit

Take out any rock or driftwood or ornaments. Don’t want anything banging around.

ForceTen

Minor 40% water change. Easy week as tank is very clean. I did that last week.

MacZ

Did a waterchange on both tanks today and then went on a fish-related errant:

After picking up and "delivering" a LDA25 (Parotocinclus jumbo) from an acquaintance to a friend, I planted some plants I got for free for my help.

Some unidentified kind of Echinodorus, some runners of Nymphoides sp. "Taiwan" and a good bunch of Hydrocotyle leucocephala.

Here's the Parotocinclus in his new home:

And here's my tank with added plants. The new ones are the big bunch of Hydrocotyle above the driftwood and the two small ones in the lower right corner.

Betta'sAnonymous

Guess it is time after work to do my weekly WC on the 29.

Basil

WCs on both 10g today. Pulled about 6 vals and a few handfuls of duckweed out of the kitchen betta tank. Now Eddie Betta has space to eat his bug bite flakes lol! I could have taken more but I’ve messed up the balance in a tank by trimming too much so I was conservative. But the vals are going crazy in this tank and I have no idea why. I did place root tabs for the crypts and dwarf sag but I don’t dose any ferts at all. But I’m not complaining!
To the bedroom 10, I added the vals I pulled and put the driftwood on the left back in. I had not used enough silicone to attach the wood to the slate before and it broke loose so I had to redo it.
Moved plants around to place the sponge filter in the center of the tank.
And I don’t know what I was thinking when I planted the dwarf sag in the back left corner. But now it’s entrenched and spreading nicely so I don’t want to move it. Once the sponge is seeded and I remove the HOB, I’ll put some vals back there for height.
Oh and I also added a handful of ramshorns from my quarantine turned snail tank. Hoping they will help with the algae battle and balance the tank a bit. And I caught one sparkler already hunting one
So I may be constantly restocking this tank with snails. And yeah, the shell looks bad. Time to get out that snello recipe!
Photo of the slightly rescaped bedroom 10 and the hunt.

Cara

I bought 3 platys and 1 molly last week, all female, to even out my ratios. 2 platys died last night/this morning. I went and got replacements so resetting the quarantine clock.

AcornTheBetta

Cara said:
I bought 3 platys and 1 molly last week, all female, to even out my ratios. 2 platys died last night/this morning. I went and got replacements so resetting the quarantine clock.
Do you know the cause of death?

FishGirl115

Today was kinda an all around aquarium day. Water changes, clean up, rearranging, got some ghost shrimp, set up a 10 gallon tank

AcornTheBetta

Bettamay

Struggling with velvet because I don’t know if it’s actually velvet or just his coloring.

bcsay720

John58ford

Well my juvenile rummynose got an abbreviated QT (4 weeks compared to my normal 6+) and I turned them loose to join the few that survived after my lfs rummynose bacteria debacle.

They had said they would find a new supplier after the issues suffered in March and I suppose this means it was true:

But they all school pretty nicely anyhow, and finally, I have completed the stocking in this tank the way I wanted.

The short QT was to celebrate a new lfs, they managed to open a whole week before the next round of lockdown (starts tonight ). They seem like nice folks so I wish them the best as the current climate isn't very small business friendly. I couldn't go all in and stock up on their fish as I won't bet my work on a new guy, but I did grab a couple more endler varieties to get some different colors in my frat tank. They should clear qt by Christmas.

I was going to take a picture of them in the 10 with the coffee cup but they're so small they wash out lol. Here they are acclimating in one of my specimen tanks.

Edited for lack of content value: there are 3 basic types of rummynose, the common has a red marking that is almost diamond shaped, the true is a half moon red marking, and the "false" has the half moon and some black striping. The three cannot breed together, but may school together in the right conditions.

Cara

Cara said:
AcornTheBetta said:
Do you know the cause of death?
No clue. Water check was fine.

I think one was a cross of platy and sword. she had a "sword " extending from the middle of tail fin. Maybe that compromised her. Idk.

But I bought the fish the day after their shipment. now I think it's better to wait till the day before the new stock arrives.

AcornTheBetta

Cara said:
No clue. Water check was fine.

I think one was a cross of platy and sword. she had a "sword " extending from the middle of tail fin. Maybe that compromised her. Idk.

But I bought the fish the day after their shipment. now I think it's better to wait till the day before the new stock arrives.
Hmmm odd

Galactica555

Just watching the fish tanks, everyone is super thrilled after the weekly cleanings along with some decor moving (and one fish got swapped to his perm tank) other than that not much haha(Did all the hard work yesterday)

Cara

Galactica555 said:
Just watching the fish tanks
I LOVE doing this. I could do this for hours. Just sitting there and wondering what these little guys are thinking

Planning tank 2 for this week or next. Been buying supplies a little at a time. Already have pump, tubing, heater, thermometer, airstones. Just received decorations and filter in mail. All I need is gravel and some more plants. Hopefully by the time my new guys are done quarantine, it should be good to go

I'm SOOOOO excited!

BettasAreSuperior

Cara

Cara said:
Planning tank 2 for this week or next. Been buying supplies a little at a time. Already have pump, tubing, heater, thermometer, airstones. Just received decorations and filter in mail. All I need is gravel and some more plants. Hopefully by the time my new guys are done quarantine, it should be good to go

I'm SOOOOO excited!

Betta'sAnonymous

Since i was busy and didnt do it yesterday, gotta do a WC on the 29 gal tonight.

Pfrozen

just blasted the lights today to get some oto food growing and cleaned a sponge. I'm happy with the new low maintenance style tank

Cara

BettasAreSuperior said:
I need to do a WC on my betta tank, add and setup the new sponge filter I got.
Things we GOTTA do

Cara said:
I bought 3 platys and 1 molly last week, all female, to even out my ratios
I wanted all female....they told me they're all female...but now I have doubts about a platy. I'm staring at it lots and it's looking more and more like a Mickey mouse platy and not Minnie. <sigh> Do I see if they'll take it back or buy more female? In my established tank...I have 1f/2m. This is torture for Luna. I was hoping I bought 3f which would give me 4f/2m. Better. But if this is Mickey then 3f/3m.

CHJ

I pulled all the caves in the L134 tank and ran a canister on it to clean out all the mulm a few weeks ago.
With the caves back in only 3 plecos are in caves and flopping tail. All the rest are still doing pleco drama around the foam filter weeks later.

jake37

Could post a picture(s) of the fishes in question.

Cara said:
I wanted all female....they told me they're all female...but now I have doubts about a platy. I'm staring at it lots and it's looking more and more like a Mickey mouse platy and not Minnie. <sigh> Do I see if they'll take it back or buy more female? In my established tank...I have 1f/2m. This is torture for Luna. I was hoping I bought 3f which would give me 4f/2m. Better. But if this is Mickey then 3f/3m.

BettasAreSuperior

Cara said:
Things we GOTTA do
Agreed. I did a WC on my betta tank 1 week ago, nitrates were 20 ppm after WC nitrates were 20 ppm. Like what?!

DrogJustDrog

I'm planning to do a massive water change (about 50-75 percent or more) as I think my cycle might be crashed. It's been at 4.00 ppm ammonia for at least three months now. Besides the tank is just starting to look icky anyway with protein foam and some of the decorations seeping (I've removed the biggest offenders).

Betta'sAnonymous

Well...gotta scrub the bejesus out of my arms cuz Mr. Kitty clawed them up because we didn't want our flea treatment...then water change time for the 29.

Newbie1234

jake37

Well.... our gray tabby was a lady and while she gritted her teeth she would allow us to give her the bath as long as we used warm water and treated her politely.
-
As for the fishes; i wanted to ask them why they are doing so many whacky things today but when i went on line to find a 'talk to the fish' class i couldn't find one

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Well...gotta scrub the bejesus out of my arms cuz Mr. Kitty clawed them up because we didn't want our flea treatment...then water change time for the 29.

Betta'sAnonymous

jake37 said:
Well.... our gray tabby was a lady and while she gritted her teeth she would allow us to give her the bath as long as we used warm water and treated her politely.
-
As for the fishes; i wanted to ask them why they are doing so many whacky things today but when i went on line to find a 'talk to the fish' class i couldn't find one
We do the frontline treatment on our cats. Usually they are pretty good with it. Guess he was just a Grumpy Pants today.

Cara

jake37 said:
Could post a picture(s) of the fishes in question.
I'll try tomorrow when the lights come on. S/He's pretty darn fast

BettasAreSuperior said:
Agreed. I did a WC on my betta tank 1 week ago, nitrates were 20 ppm after WC nitrates were 20 ppm. Like what?!
I had similar but I think I miscounted the drops added in the test I tested 2 days later and it was fine.

Betta'sAnonymous said:
then water change
Keep putting off that water change

babykitten

kallililly1973 said:
Wondering what everyone is doing to their tanks weather its changing decor adding removing, changing substrate, new lights filters air stones or sponge filters etc..... Also pics are very much encouraged
PS if there is a better section for this thread please move it Thanks!!
Water changes. I plan to also add some of my catappa leaf extract to all of them.

StarGirl

Just some OCD goodness for today. The foil packs dont close.. my husband brought the little bags home from work to put it in........and I love my label maker... Oh and the puppies surrounding the food bowl. My plecs favorite food. Red bell pepper.

jake37

Well i had joy this morning. My 29 sprung a leak. Yea like i didn't already have enough to do today. So i had to drain the tank - stick my fishes in a pail (yea they love being crammed together in a 5 gallon pail - they are going to hate me); run over to petco and buy a new 29 (thankfully they are having $/gallon sale); remove the hamburg mitten brackets and start gluing them in the new 29; apply second pass of silicon later tonight; and tomorrow night determine if my fishes ate each other and if not put them in the new tank. Nothing more fun than walking over to your tank to feed the fishes and discovering it on the floor (in all honesty it must have just started leaking a few minutes before i walked over to the fishes as only 1/2 gallon or gallon had leaked.

Either i'm blessed or aqueon sucks because this is the second tank to fail on me in 2 years.
--
Btw is there a good way to dispose of a leaky tank. I thought about putting a hammer to it and then tossing it down the trash shoot but maybe there is an easier way ?

Picture of the leak:

John58ford

jake37 said:
is there a good way to dispose of a leaky tank.
If you list it on any number of apps or the buy/sell/trade/free section here or on a reptile forum stating it leaks, someone like me will likely be there to swoop it up and make a snake habitat or salvage the glass panels to make lids/dividers.

Basil

jake37 said:
Well i had joy this morning. My 29 sprung a leak. Yea like i didn't already have enough to do today. So i had to drain the tank - stick my fishes in a pail (yea they love being crammed together in a 5 gallon pail - they are going to hate me); run over to petco and buy a new 29 (thankfully they are having $/gallon sale); remove the hamburg mitten brackets and start gluing them in the new 29; apply second pass of silicon later tonight; and tomorrow night determine if my fishes ate each other and if not put them in the new tank. Nothing more fun than walking over to your tank to feed the fishes and discovering it on the floor (in all honesty it must have just started leaking a few minutes before i walked over to the fishes as only 1/2 gallon or gallon had leaked.

Either i'm blessed or aqueon sucks because this is the second tank to fail on me in 2 years.
--
Btw is there a good way to dispose of a leaky tank. I thought about putting a hammer to it and then tossing it down the trash shoot but maybe there is an easier way ?

Picture of the leak:
Ack. I have two aqueon tanks; one has been up for a year and the other just 2 months. I hope they behave!
Received two sparkling gourami from Flip Aquatics today. Yes, I paid more for overnight UPS shipping than for two little fish. But that’s all I needed to complete the stocking.
However, one looks like it is missing part of its tail or it is really keeping its tail clamped but its other fins are out. Just emailed them so I’ll see what they say. Otherwise, it is active and looks good.

jake37

I couldn't even give away free angelfishes; no one in tn wants them. Anyway i think the city dump will take it. Mind you i'm not against giving it away but i'm in a condo and i want it out of my bathroom. I guess i could list it overnight and if no one claims it take it to the dump tomorrow.

John58ford said:
If you list it on any number of apps or the buy/sell/trade/free section here or on a reptile forum stating it leaks, someone like me will likely be there to swoop it up and make a snake habitat or salvage the glass panels to make lids/dividers.

Pfrozen

did absolutely nothing today which is a welcomed change. Ill have to replant a big chunk of s. repens tomorrow though.. my pleco is a naughty boy who likes to dig up this one particular plant for whatever reason

Tsutey

I've been doing all kinds of things, from rock and driftwood hunting at the lake (I even found some clay mud from it being so low, I'm going to try a semi Walsted nano planted 3 gallon tank with it under some river gravel and see what I can get to grow), moving guppies around, top ups, and ordered some amano shrimps and a panda cory for my too small school- but the biggest thing has been watching videos, watching my tanks, and *thinking*. I think I used 1500 calories just mentally planning how I'm going to keep my new scarlet badis pair with the red racer nerite! It's been fun

ghostdawg

I did a 25% WC and scrub the driftwood. That's about it.

Cowardlyslimeball

I fed my fish, worked on training for my new betta, and played with my oranda, he loves petting!

Basil

Nothing like over flowing the sink with the python to get me to finally clean half of my fish supply/water prep room. And why did the sink overflow? Oh look, a top from the api test tubes. Oops.
And bonus, I found that heater I thought I had ordered but couldn’t find lol!
Oh, and I also did a WC on the 40 black tank and scrubbed a good bit of BBA of mostly the rocks. I’ve been waiting for my LFS to get in SAE so I can put one in this tank. Although this is the most BBA I’ve ever seen in it. LFS had a gorgeous pair of 3-4” SAE. If I were stocking them in my 75, I would have scooped them up.
Instead I purchased 3 nerite snails for the 40 breeder tan.

jake37

In addition to the water changes on my 120 and 29; I was fixing the tank that broke the other day (scroll up). That tank is still a bit cloudy and after it clear up i'll have to adjust the plants somewhat (also the bulb plants dropped their leaves when i man-handled them).
So here is the replacement tank cloudy (and the sister 29 which is crystal clear as a reference to just how cloudy it is):

On the positive side it allowed me to clean the hamburg mitten filter which was filthy and it allowed me to take an inventory of all the fishes. I'm happy to say all 7 kuhli (4 which i haven't seen in 8 months) are still alive and kicking.

Dippiedee

Bought fluval aquaskys for the cichlid tank and the betta tank. Huge improvement

86 ssinit

Filled up the new (used) 125. Waiting for pump for wet dry and only have a magnum moving water around. Last night
and this morning
a little cloudy.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom