What are you doing to your tank today? - Page 28

Fisch

Got a Ninja Snail today and it is devouring the bladder snails I dropped into the bag.
There is the hope that I don't have to go bladder hunting as often, and scare the fish.
Of course now that I am looking for snails they seem to sense what is going on and hide.
Also, started to investigate a 125gl tank

Cara

Found one teeny tiny platy fry yesterday and molly fry are 4 weeks today so I figured it was time to set up the nursery and get them out of the breeder net.

3.5g bow....decided I don't really like it but using it anyhow. I made a small netted box for the platy fry out of 1.25c Tupperware and stocking ped.

Saw my bumblebee catfish whose now 3w in quarantine. haven't seen him in 3days so that was semi excited

Added a bamboo to my main and some bulbs.

A full day

AcornTheBetta

I was going to try to make a DIY canister filter, but then I realized that my little powerhead I have isn't powerful enough to pump the water from the shelf to the tank. Disappointing, but I'll think of something else to do.

veggieshark

Did my annual leaf collecting trip to the park.

Kribensis27

veggieshark said:
Same

AJ34

I swapped 10 gallon for 20g in dining room....lots of work but needed to store the 10 gallon no room to store the 20. Trying to downplay that I bought ANOTHER tank while my husband was in Vegas Set that up then got some slate for my mud turtle. Why is stacking rocks so hard!? It seems so simple in theory.... They never fit or stack nicely... I will never be an aquascaper!

Kribensis27

AJ34 said:
I swapped 10 gallon for 20g in dining room....lots of work but needed to store the 10 gallon no room to store the 20. Trying to downplay that I bought ANOTHER tank while my husband was in Vegas Set that up then got some slate for my mud turtle. Why is stacking rocks so hard!? It seems so simple in theory.... They never fit or stack nicely... I will never be an aquascaper!
The secret is superglue or silicone

BlackOsprey

I'm not really sure honestly. All 3 tanks don't really need anything done. I guess maybe I'll introduce a nerite snail or two since one of them has a little algae buildup.

Cara

AJ34 said:
Trying to downplay that I bought ANOTHER tank while my husband was in Vegas
Love the hiding of tanks. My daughter came home from work and said "when did you get another tank? "

Frank the Fish guy

Finishing disinfecting the tank from disease brought in from Petsmart goldfish.

jake37

Usual water changes. Took 3 swordtail and one of my 'baby' gold angels to the petshop. Kind of feel bad about the angel but the swordtail i was glad to remove - too many frys.... on the bright side after 2 years one of my baby swordtail is gonna be a male !!!

Betta'sAnonymous

Sure as heck better do some water changes on the betta tanks. Somehow i keep over-booking my time the last few days.

FishGirl115

veggieshark said:
May I ask why you were collecting leaves?

Chris1212

Ugh...starting another ich treatment

veggieshark

FishGirl115 said:
May I ask why you were collecting leaves?
I put dry leaves from hardwood trees in tanks, much like driftwood. They provide tannins and soften the water (maybe to a small extent but doesn't hurt). They also create microorganisms for fish to eat and provide shelter. Inverts even eat them (probably like eating the cone with the icecream type of thing). Inspired by the bottom of Amazon and many lakes that are full of leaf litter (but not an unknown practice to many), so it can't be all that bad.

FishGirl115

veggieshark said:
I put dry leaves from hardwood trees in tanks, much like driftwood. They provide tannins and soften the water (maybe to a small extent but doesn't hurt). They also create microorganisms for fish to eat and provide shelter. Inverts even eat them (probably like eating the cone with the icecream type of thing). Inspired by the bottom of Amazon and many lakes that are full of leaf litter (but not an unknown practice to many), so it can't be all that bad.
Oh cool. I'd like to try that... Can you just use any leaves? Do you have to clean them? If so, how?

NoahLikesFish

Setting up the hardscape for hillstream tank

PrincessLobster

I'm relatively new to the hobby but am constantly googling stuff, it's so addictive! I'm currently self-isolating (just as precaution) so have been able to start my second project of a little shrimp tank and then lots of googling of shrimp genetics!

Pfrozen

Decided that spending 200 dollars on a stand was dumb so I bought a steel rack that will safely hold all 6 of my tanks. for 160+ taxes

Unknown9182

Experimenting the compatibility of a blanched cucumber with a baby albino bristlenose pleco.

John58ford

Water changes, didn't mess with any planting this time around, did some work on my re-mineralization and testing, I think I might just about have my baseline set. All tanks have been getting potassium bi-carbonate to stabilize kH at 3 degrees, and a blend of magnesium sulfate and calcium chloride to keep the gh up around 5. The one 29 with all the plants has been getting enough to keep it at 6:6 (but it uses about a degree of kH per day) and I have just finally discovered what spot algae is so that tank got a scrape on the glass today. None of them are getting nitrogen or phosphate (or anything else in the fertilizer world) from any source but the fish or food yet.

The young rummynose just had their 3rd ever water change, they seem to find it traumatizing, but will get used to it in time.

Oh, and babies! Lol. It's been a while since I've shared any shots of fry. These are from my chili hybrid endler experiment so it should be cool to see how they turned out in a month or three.

StarGirl

Water change and the finishing touches on my 5g which is different every time I change water....lol

Cara

Walked by my tank and this caught my eye. I guess they didn't all get eaten last week. Spent an hour staring and counted 3

Unknown9182 said:
Experimenting the compatibility of a blanched cucumber with a baby albino bristlenose pleco.
I love experimenting

veggieshark

Cara said:
Walked by my tank and this caught my eye. I guess they didn't all get eaten last week. Spent an hour staring and counted 3
Awesome. What are they?

I barely fed my tanks, took a couple pictures and called it a day.

Cara

veggieshark said:
What are they?
My best guess is they're platy. She was SUPER prego and then she wasn't. But she's looking prego again. could she be that soon?

ShastaDaisy

Cara said:
The smartest and the luckiest <3

Cara

ShastaDaisy said:
The smartest and the luckiest <3
And the FASTEST!

jake37

Well getting ready for saturday's water changes. This is the one tank that will not get its water changed today; kind of a mess so i'll have to do a bit of cleaning tuesday.

veggieshark

jake37 said:
Well getting ready for saturday's water changes. This is the one tank that will not get its water changed today; kind of a mess so i'll have to do a bit of cleaning tuesday.
Nice looking tank. Not show-offy, natural looking and relaxing
I just remembered the treasure in my backyard - the cornelian cherry tree. I'll go check if dry branches or leaves are present. That's what
I am doing for my tanks.

Cara

jake37 said:
That's a beautiful tank

Leeman75

jake37 said:
I like looking pictures of tanks like this because I don't see it as a mess...I see it as very natural! I also like to try to see what fish I can identify in the pictures! The yellow fish at the bottom, just off-center. Is that an Apisto? Ram?

Nice tank, nice pic!

jake37

Female cockatoo.

Leeman75 said:
The yellow fish at the bottom, just off-center. Is that an Apisto? Ram?

Fisch

Big water change as I will leave town for four days. This is the first time ever to leave this tank alone. Light is on a timer, no feeding, and I hope I won't come back to disaster.
Found a Ramshorn snail in the tank and do not have any clue how it got in there. Last plants I got went through a Peroxyde bath. Can eggs survive that?

jake37

Either that or they crawled many miles just to find your aquarium....

Fisch said:
Big water change as I will leave town for four days. This is the first time ever to leave this tank alone. Light is on a timer, no feeding, and I hope I won't come back to disaster.
Found a Ramshorn snail in the tank and do not have any clue how it got in there. Last plants I got went through a Peroxyde bath. Can eggs survive that?

Megabeth

Im not doing this to my aquarium but im trying to decide if I want to start a saltwater tank

sav023

I moved a snail around, did a water change, and now I'm just staring at them. Also, I might put together a new stand later which will be able to hold a 20g long and 14g cube which is exciting

StarGirl

Fisch said:
Oh it will be just fine! Try going for 11 days.....That's scary.

Fisch

jake37 said:
Either that or they crawled many miles just to find your aquarium....
Ha-ha...I can see that . But then I live in a dry climate and we have around 30°F. It was half the size of a Dime. I put it in front of my Assassin Snail, but he just ignored it.

StarGirl said:
Oh it will be just fine! Try going for 11 days.....That's scary.
Thanks for the encouragement

mosin360

Did a water change and wiped off some of the brown diatoms. Was finally able to get the Cascade 300 from vibrating so dang much and is really quiet now.

Leeman75

Did water changes on 5 of the 8 today, including the big boy 55. Added a new Anubias Barteri to the 55 and am enjoying a little more green. Slowly but surely the live plants journey that started a year ago is finally taking shape a little bit. The key for me has been using Root Tabs, an LED light and the right kinds of plants (Anubias, Swords, Java Ferns, and Krypts are definitely better in my tank than many others).

faydout

Got my new CO2 bell in for the 40B (already put todays CO2 in it, so I'll swap it out tomorrow). When I swap it out, I'll move the smaller one over to the 54G (bigger tank, fewer plants). Did my wc in the 54 and the 10G fry tank. I floated some hygro wisteria the other day with the water lettuce and lily's on the 54, wisteria is starting to put out some emersed leaves already. OMG the babies are getting so big, no clue when I need to start actually feeding them though. So far they haven't been interested in frozen bbs, cyclops, or the northfin version of first bites. They've been feeding on insuforia out of the moss exclusively. I have a feeling that the coop bbs hatchery is gonna be on it's way sooner than later.

86 ssinit

Busy day and busy last few weeks. Took this stand and tank from this
to this
now will move my 75 to where the 125 is now and set up the 125. Though I still need to coat the top with polyurethane. But hopefully when my son gets home later I can move these pieces into place.
The 75 that needs to be moved

AcornTheBetta

86 ssinit said:
Busy day and busy last few weeks. Took this stand and tank from this
to this
now will move my 75 to where the 125 is now and set up the 125. Though I still need to coat the top with polyurethane. But hopefully when my son gets home later I can move these pieces into place.
The 75 that needs to be moved
It looks like from the second pic that the tank that will be there will be visible from both sides. If this is so, I suggest you make a convex aquascape so that it is appealing to look at from both sides (front and back) rather than a concave scape which is appealing from one side, but can look bad from the other. Just my 2 cents.

86 ssinit

Would love to do that. Put a tank in the center of a room to be looked at from all angles. But this tank has a black background so just viewing from front and sides.
Well my son came home and the tanks are moved .
and it looks like everybody is happy .

jake37

I was feeding my fishes this morning and noticing a bit of aggressive behavior; so a bit of snooping and i found this mess:

Pfrozen

86 ssinit said:
Would love to do that. Put a tank in the center of a room to be looked at from all angles. But this tank has a black background so just viewing from front and sides.
Well my son came home and the tanks are moved .
and it looks like everybody is happy .
I need to move a tank today actually, how do you safely move it? I was thinking I could drain 80% of the water and pick it up but my tank is glass bottom. would that be okay?

aquachris

Unfortunately I have been terribly sick these last few days, and have had no energy, have barely done much with my tanks . I don't even have energy for water changes... I did the minimum I had to yesterday on my quarantine tank. I had planned on getting my 40gallon going to get ready for moving over the guppies from my 20g to it, as that will be the future home for my pea puffers in the qt tank.

Pfrozen said:
I need to move a tank today actually, how do you safely move it? I was thinking I could drain 80% of the water and pick it up but my tank is glass bottom. would that be okay?
I go with an idea of 10lbs per gallon. So if you do 80% on a 10g, your at 20lbs... easy to move. Get to a 40g, your at 80lbs - that will need help due to size/etc.

Pfrozen

aquachris said:
I go with an idea of 10lbs per gallon. So if you do 80% on a 10g, your at 20lbs... easy to move. Get to a 40g, your at 80lbs - that will need help due to size/etc.
Its a 20 and I have help so that will be fine. Im more worried about the bottom breaking

Bluebellie

I’m going to take one of my ten gallons apart. I really don’t like how it’s decorated, so since I finally moved all the fish, I will be removing all my live plants and restarting over.
Tomorrow I’ll buy some more driftwood, and the day after , maybe redecorate

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom