What Are Those Flat, White Spots ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by Dechi, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

C3D84AB9-7500-45E3-9275-2FD6BED5C505.jpeg I just noticed this in my tank today. I’ve never seen anything like it. They’re white, perfectly ovale spots, but flat, not round like eggs.

They seem to be spread on my driftwood. It’s a very old piece that I had in my previous tank and that wasn’t used at all for 10 years.

Do you know what they are ?

2. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Do you have a nerite snail in this tank? I ask because these look like nerite eggs to me.

3. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Yes, I do ! I thought they needed brackish water to lay eggs. I wonder if there are fish that will eat those eggs ? Loaches maybe ?

4. mattgirl

They do need brackish water to hatch but they will still lay eggs in fresh water. I've never had them but have read over and over that they are hard to remove from surfaces and as far as I know, nothing eats them. Hopefully I am wrong about that.

5. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Too bad I didn’t know this beforehand. :-(

6. mattgirl

Seeing how many folks that come here wondering what these are I have to think it isn't widely known. :(

7. Snailerator

SnaileratorValued MemberMember

I just removed some eggs a week ago. I used a razor blade and they came off my driftwood easily. I then seperated my snails to find out which are males and females. Then I left only the males in my tank. Hope this helps.

8. happyscrub

happyscrubValued MemberMember

Those snail like creatures, Limpets?

9. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Thank you. Since mine is a single nerite, the eggs should never hatch. Still, they’re ugly. I used a round toothpick and scraped the ones that were visible from the front. It worked well. A razor blade is a good idea too !

I wish, limpets look nice, don’t they ?

10. FishLeGeNd

FishLeGeNdValued MemberMember

They are eggs from the snail.

11. Noroomforshoe

NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember