What Are Those Flat, White Spots ?

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
C3D84AB9-7500-45E3-9275-2FD6BED5C505.jpeg
I just noticed this in my tank today. I’ve never seen anything like it. They’re white, perfectly ovale spots, but flat, not round like eggs.

They seem to be spread on my driftwood. It’s a very old piece that I had in my previous tank and that wasn’t used at all for 10 years.

Do you know what they are ?

OP
Dechi

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
Do you have a nerite snail in this tank? I ask because these look like nerite eggs to me.
Yes, I do ! I thought they needed brackish water to lay eggs. I wonder if there are fish that will eat those eggs ? Loaches maybe ?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Dechi said:
Yes, I do ! I thought they needed brackish water to lay eggs. I wonder if there are fish that will eat those eggs ? Loaches maybe ?
They do need brackish water to hatch but they will still lay eggs in fresh water. I've never had them but have read over and over that they are hard to remove from surfaces and as far as I know, nothing eats them. Hopefully I am wrong about that.

OP
Dechi

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
They do need brackish water to hatch but they will still lay eggs in fresh water. I've never had them but have read over and over that they are hard to remove from surfaces and as far as I know, nothing eats them. Hopefully I am wrong about that.
Too bad I didn’t know this beforehand. :-(

Snailerator

Reaction score
Dechi said:
C3D84AB9-7500-45E3-9275-2FD6BED5C505.jpeg
I just noticed this in my tank today. I’ve never seen anything like it. They’re white, perfectly ovale spots, but flat, not round like eggs.

They seem to be spread on my driftwood. It’s a very old piece that I had in my previous tank and that wasn’t used at all for 10 years.

Do you know what they are ?
I just removed some eggs a week ago. I used a razor blade and they came off my driftwood easily. I then seperated my snails to find out which are males and females. Then I left only the males in my tank. Hope this helps.

OP
Dechi

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snailerator said:
I just removed some eggs a week ago. I used a razor blade and they came off my driftwood easily. I then seperated my snails to find out which are males and females. Then I left only the males in my tank. Hope this helps.
Thank you. Since mine is a single nerite, the eggs should never hatch. Still, they’re ugly. I used a round toothpick and scraped the ones that were visible from the front. It worked well. A razor blade is a good idea too !

happyscrub said:
Those snail like creatures, Limpets?
I wish, limpets look nice, don’t they ?

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nerite snail eggs will never hatch in freshwater tanks,

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media