What Are These?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Neilt, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Neilt

Neilt New Member Member

I have seen a couple of them in my aquarium now...freshwater, but they do remind me of something I've seen in saltwater! Can't remember a name, though. They are very tiny, about 0.5-1 cm long and very thin. So far I've seen them on the glass and now on the plants.

Here's the best shot I could get with my cellphone ;)
    20180418_111712.jpg

2. qchris87

qchris87 Well Known Member Member

Looks like hydra. I'd just pluck it out.

3. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

Man, I'd keep a hydra in my tank if I were lucky enough to have one. They're so cool.

4. OP
    OP
    Neilt

Neilt New Member Member

That's the name I couldn't remember! Thanks!

5. OscarHoya

OscarHoya Valued Member Member

Why would you take it out (if that's what you meant)? Couldn't it be beneficial?

6. qchris87

They multiply pretty quickly, in large enough groups they can kill juvenile fish and juvenile shrimp. I don't see any benefits to keeping them. Some fish eat them, that's about all I can think about.

7. OscarHoya

OscarHoya Valued Member Member

Good to know. I know it is not your tank but how did they get there?

8. A. Rozhin

They actually don't feed on anything bigger than Daphnia. They also don't "hunt in groups" and even the smallest of fish would be out of the question. It's amazing what you can learn by googling and checking Wikipedia.

9. qchris87

While it’s true they feed on smaller creatures like daphnia, they still possess the ability to sting juveniles. A juvenile shrimp walking through a patch of hydra will definitely be stung by hydra with the potential to kill it. They aren’t a big threat to adult shrimp.

10. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

I have then as a pest in my 10 gallon, and my paradise fish loves to eat them. They are a pest and will kill any young shrimps and fish fry. I hate them and wish they never existed. They don't have any pros to them, just cons

11. qchris87

Usually attached to plants that come from infected tanks.

12. A. Rozhin

I'm glad to be corrected, always trying to expand my knowledge. That sounds harsh. I guess you can't always go by Wikipedia. :) The hydra in mythology was sort of a rough customer, also, so I guess it makes sense.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice