What Are These?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neilt

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have seen a couple of them in my aquarium now...freshwater, but they do remind me of something I've seen in saltwater! Can't remember a name, though. They are very tiny, about 0.5-1 cm long and very thin. So far I've seen them on the glass and now on the plants.

Here's the best shot I could get with my cellphone
20180418_111712.jpg

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Man, I'd keep a hydra in my tank if I were lucky enough to have one. They're so cool.

Neilt

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's the name I couldn't remember! Thanks!

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why would you take it out (if that's what you meant)? Couldn't it be beneficial?
They multiply pretty quickly, in large enough groups they can kill juvenile fish and juvenile shrimp. I don't see any benefits to keeping them. Some fish eat them, that's about all I can think about.

OscarHoya

Valued Member
Reaction score
They multiply pretty quickly, in large enough groups they can kill juvenile fish and juvenile shrimp. I don't see any benefits to keeping them. Some fish eat them, that's about all I can think about.
Good to know. I know it is not your tank but how did they get there?

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They actually don't feed on anything bigger than Daphnia. They also don't "hunt in groups" and even the smallest of fish would be out of the question. It's amazing what you can learn by googling and checking Wikipedia.

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They actually don't feed on anything bigger than Daphnia. They also don't "hunt in groups" and even the smallest of fish would be out of the question. It's amazing what you can learn by googling and checking Wikipedia.
While it’s true they feed on smaller creatures like daphnia, they still possess the ability to sting juveniles. A juvenile shrimp walking through a patch of hydra will definitely be stung by hydra with the potential to kill it. They aren’t a big threat to adult shrimp.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have then as a pest in my 10 gallon, and my paradise fish loves to eat them. They are a pest and will kill any young shrimps and fish fry. I hate them and wish they never existed. They don't have any pros to them, just cons

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
While it’s true they feed on smaller creatures like daphnia, they still possess the ability to sting juveniles. A juvenile shrimp walking through a patch of hydra will definitely be stung by hydra with the potential to kill it. They aren’t a big threat to adult shrimp.
I'm glad to be corrected, always trying to expand my knowledge. That sounds harsh. I guess you can't always go by Wikipedia. The hydra in mythology was sort of a rough customer, also, so I guess it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 39 63.9%

Top Bottom