What are these...

AndyVE

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Was cleaning my betta's place and saw these:

1) think they are shrimp, but only have RCS so are these still small fry?

2) see very small white speckles on my heather and they are also moving (no idea what they are)

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They look like baby shrimp to me, unless you mean something smaller, in which case copepods.

AndyVE

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The ones in the firs picture i already noticed.
But first time I see them so small (and not red colored).

The 2nd picture i was not sure (never noticed them before when i had baby shrimp).
Am talking about the "dust" like white stuff on the heating element (left of the sponge filter).
So are these also shrimp?

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even newly hatched cherry shrimp are large enough that you can see that they are shrimp with the naked eye from the beginning. If they're too small to see that they are shrimp, odds are that they're not.

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cute those are definitely rcs, I have a bunch and you maybe able to see them at birth but for the first week or so they are very good at hiding and when they hatch they are about 1mm long, so if you know guppy fry at 4mm at birth these are 4 times smaller. Also baby RCS are born white, they only get the red coloring as they mature and then only the females get the true red, males are very pale in comparisson

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nicole4434 said:
Cute those are definitely rcs, I have a bunch and you maybe able to see them at birth but for the first week or so they are very good at hiding and when they hatch they are about 1mm long, so if you know guppy fry at 4mm at birth these are 4 times smaller.
I think he means the small white dots that are on the tank glass.

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Possibly water fleas, I have those in my shrimp and fry tanks, they are harmless

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know but when I caught a few, they almost moved like sea monkeys, but I don't feed live brine shrimp, they are interesting to watch when they come up to were they can be seen

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom