what are these

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by wrod, Dec 8, 2012.

1. w

wrod New Member Member

i got these from my lfs, and shortly after i forgot what they where called
    they arent buenos aires tetras because they arent fat enough
    the have the body of neon tetras except long and orange
    the neon blue stripe is neon rainbow they shoal bout only in small numbers(one chases the others away)
    they r not albino bcuz they have black eyes and other color patterns
    i got these from my lfs, and shortly after i forgot what they where called
    they arent buenos aires tetras because they arent fat enough
    the have the body of neon tetras except long and orange
    the neon blue stripe is neon rainbow they shoal but only in small numbers(one chases the others away)
    they r not albino bcuz they have black eyes and other color patterns
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and under the neon stripe is a dark band made of tiny black dots on 2 of them, the other ones have black dots but not enough to notice
    they also move very fast

2. tpasser2

tpasser2 Valued Member Member

I believe they are white cloud (mountain) minnows. They can have either white or sometimes yellow-tipped fins.

3. OP
    OP
    w

wrod New Member Member

Well it seems likely except its pinkish orange, they aren't very friendly with each other at times, and don't shoal in groups of more than 3
    And the black band is thicker and made up of tiny dots, also its a tropical fish too...
    Besides that they look allot alike
    And the lfs I got them off of are a really good family owned store and they know my fish tank so I don't think they sold me a wrong fish, and all I could remember about its name was it ended with hybrid XD, which makes the search so much harder

4. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

That's definitely a white cloud mountain minnow :)

How many did you get?

5. OP
    OP
    w

wrod New Member Member

I got 6 (one died of shock from the tranfer) but the body build is different too, and it pinkish orange, and the orange white cloud look nothing like them
    Also the one that died was getting picked at by the other ones( and white clouds are supposed to be nice)

6. tpasser2

tpasser2 Valued Member Member

I think it def. looks like them. The colors can vary a bit even based on looking at images on google. In my experience with them, they don't always stay together, but wander off from each other sometimes in my 29 gallon. They do get nippy with each other sometimes (nothing injurious), but males are known to display their fins to each other. If they are doing this and kind of "fanning out" their fins to each other, then that may help confirm that they are White Clouds.

7. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

They're probably albino WCMMs.

8. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yep and Rogue gets it in one ;)
    carol

9. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

Wouldn't they need red eyes to be albino? They look like they have blue eyes.

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If I'm not mistaken the rim around the eye is blue :)
    Carol

11. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

I believe albino WCMMs do not have red eyes. 'True' albinos do have red eyes but the lighter version of WCMMs are not true albinos. Just like with Giant Gouramis you have whites, which have black eyes, and albinos, which have red eyes. And then the normal coloration is grayish and they have black eyes. Saying that white WCMMs are albino is just an easier way of marketing them I believe.

Here is a good picture of a white WCMM.  

12. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

Oh ok.

13. R

Ryan123 Valued Member Member

yup rogue is right I have had white cloud mountain minnows before

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice