What are these worms?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Everythingzen, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

I thought I was imagining it at first, but in my little rcs tank I saw these tiny worms. They are about as thick as 50lbs fishing line and around 1cm/0.5" long. I've taken a photo but it's too hard to see it clearly. I''ve never heard of worms! What are they? Are they good? Bad? A sign of something terrible? I did lose a shrimp a week or 2 ago but it was removed. There isn't anything else in there apart from the rcs and some mts.

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Are the worms white? If so, chances are your tank has Planaria. They are not harmful unless they become over populated. Some fish may eat them.

Increase the gravel vacuuming and water changes. They can be difficult to get rid of but not impossible. Please do not use any chemicals to try and remove them from your tank.

Below is a link or two for you to compare:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ease-help-id-these-tiny-critters-my-tank.html
    see the video in post #12 above.

Ken

3. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Can this be a sign of over feeding Ken? that might be something to look into

4. Aquarist

Hello,

Yes, over feeding and not cleaning the substrate thoroughly can cause the Planaria worms to appear.

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Awesome, thank you guys. I believe they are detritus worms, not planaria, though both seem about the same threat. The treatment for both is also the same. Heavy vacuuming and less feeding. I'm still learning how to feed shrimp, and I know I was definitely overfeeding at first. I read what others feed, and have dropped it back to a tiny pinch of shrimp mix 1-2 times per week. I have noticed an increase in MTS, so obviously the shrimp aren't eating all the food. It's now clear too, why people use a little dish in a shrimp tank! I shall look at getting one so I can keep track of what is and isn't eaten, and then remove it after a couple of hours :)

Thanks again!

6. Aquarist

7. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Ken, you're the LinkKing ;D
    I found that link through one one of the earlier ones you posted, so you've been a double help, haha. I'm fairly certain that is what is in my tank. They seem a little whiter but these worms are evenly skinny like detritus, whereas the planaria have a more banana or oblong shape.
    I've got a net of very newly hatched Angel fry suspended in this tank as well so I feel a bit of urgency in case they are under threat.

8. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

LinkKing. eggcellent!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice