What Are These??? Worms? Shrimp? Help

1. LucyC Member Member

Hi, I just bought some live plants and discovered all of these worm like things and other critters. If anyone could answer these questions that would be great.

1. Are they harmful?
    2. What are they?
    3. What should I do with the plants?

Here's pics
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks, Lucy :)

2. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Second and third picture definitely depict scuds. They're a harmless amphipod. Fish love to eat them. They can be fun pets, too. :)

Can you get a better picture of the other critters you see?

3. LucyC Member Member

Thanks for the reply:)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Those are the best pics I can get with this camera, they're like thin brown worms
    If I keep the scuds, do I need to feed them?

4. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

5. LucyC Member Member

Are they harmful? Should I keep them or get rid of them?

Thanks, Lucy:)

6. LucyC Member Member

There are also these little tiny black dots zooming around. Does anyone know what those are?

7. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Water mite, maybe? Does it walk or swim? General shape?

Those are usually harmless, but not really a wanted creature. Those I'd get rid of.

8. LucyC Member Member

They swim and look round and very very tiny

I'll get rid of the worms, but will there be worm eggs on the plants? I don't want the tank to get infested. Should isolate the plants? And if so for how long?

9. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I don't think that they lay eggs on plants. I believe their reproduction is similar to an earthworm's.

Not sure on the black swimming thing, but here's a list of websites I used to study small aquatic things. Let me know what it turns out to be!

Microscopy-UK Home (Resources for the microscopy enthusiast and amateur, including free bimonthly e-zine, Micscape.)

Microscopic Pond Life

https://www.biologycorner.com/worksheets/identifypond.html

10. Cognac82 Member Member

Looks like you got some cool stuff on your plants. All I ever get is snails. Even if they're not wanted at least they're interesting!

11. Keystone Member Member

Your little black dots are probably ostracods, also known as seed shrimp. Also harmless, but a picture or short video would certainly help.

12. VioletSS Member Member

Wow - you hit the jackpot on "free gifts with purchase"! ;)

13. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Id get rid of the worms and feed the rest to my fish. If your lucky some might survive and breed

14. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

I just want to say I keep and have been intentionally raising tubifex worms for my fish. All my fish in all my tanks love them except for the CPDs and shrimp, I don't feed tubifex in those tanks. Your fish would probably love them.

15. Ken Ooi Member Member

Concerning those worm like creatures they are usually very very tiny about 1/2 can long and almost needle like in thinness. I see these growing in my soil ADA aquarium. They look kinda gross as they are not only one or two but a dozen crawling over the glass which makes it look yucky