Help What are these white things bouncing around in my tank? Are they from adding Stability?

peddidle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
History of tank:
7.5g tank going through fishless cycle. It has been cycling for over 2 weeks. As of yesterday, ammonia still at 2, nitrite still at 0, nitrate still less than 5.

Tank and filter new. Heater is from my 10 gallon guppy tank.

Media added upon setup included small portions of ceramic rings from all 3 of my other tanks (10g guppy/amano shrimp, 20 gallon honey gourami, and 3.7g betta), the quilt-batting type of sponge/floss from the same roll I used upon startup in all my other tanks, and some new ceramic rings from the same package as all my other tanks.

Half an almond leaf added last week. Almond leaf is from the same bag as the leaves I have in my other tanks. I've been using leaves from this bag for several months.

Decorations are all artificial. Colored gravel, two flowering trees, castle added at startup. Taller green grass at back and shorter plants near front all added last week.

I added Prime when I first set the tank up and added Stability just the other day (last night was the second dose).

This morning I went to check on the tanks and saw what looks like tiny white bugs bouncing around on the glass. When I zoom in, they somewhat start to resemble air bubbles, but they definitely are not air bubbles. None of my other tanks have them. Any idea what they are? Do I need to worry? Take my tank down and start from scratch? Or are they to be expected during cycling and I've just never noticed before?

I will be updating this thread in just one second with a video link (the link is on my tablet, but typing a post is much easier on my computer), so if you're reading this and there is no video link, please refresh this post so you can see it.

Snarbleglarf

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Definitely not bubbles lol, it looks like freshwater Copepods to me I haven’t seen them in any of my personal aquariums other than my saltwater system but it’s not uncommon. Are you able to get a close up of one of the critters?

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
peddidle said:
History of tank:
7.5 gallon tank going through fishless cycle. It has been cycling for over 2 weeks. As of yesterday, ammonia still at 2, nitrite still at 0, nitrate still less than 5.

Tank and filter new. Heater is from my 10 gallon guppy tank.

Media added upon setup included small portions of ceramic rings from all 3 of my other tanks (10 gallon guppy/amano shrimp, 20 gallon honey gourami, and 3.7g betta), the quilt-batting type of sponge/floss from the same roll I used upon startup in all my other tanks, and some new ceramic rings from the same package as all my other tanks.

Half an almond leaf added last week. Almond leaf is from the same bag as the leaves I have in my other tanks. I've been using leaves from this bag for several months.

Decorations are all artificial. Colored gravel, two flowering trees, castle added at startup. Taller green grass at back and shorter plants near front all added last week.

I added Prime when I first set the tank up and added Stability just the other day (last night was the second dose).

This morning I went to check on the tanks and saw what looks like tiny white bugs bouncing around on the glass. When I zoom in, they somewhat start to resemble air bubbles, but they definitely are not air bubbles. None of my other tanks have them. Any idea what they are? Do I need to worry? Take my tank down and start from scratch? Or are they to be expected during cycling and I've just never noticed before?

I will be updating this thread in just one second with a video link (the link is on my tablet, but typing a post is much easier on my computer), so if you're reading this and there is no video link, please refresh this post so you can see it.

Can you scoop one up and see if it’s moving? My best guess is copepods

OP
peddidle

peddidle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Snarbleglarf said:
Definitely not bubbles lol, it looks like freshwater Copepods to me I haven’t seen them in any of my personal aquariums other than my saltwater system but it’s not uncommon. Are you able to get a close up of one of the critters?
That’s as close up as I can get. I really didn’t think my camera was all that bad until I started trying to take pictures of things in my aquariums, lol.

CichlidJynx said:
Can you scoop one up and see if it’s moving? My best guess is copepods
They’re super tiny and definitely move—bouncing around at times like tiny fruit flies might (obviously not fruit flies, though, lol). If I’m able to catch one, what should I try to do with it? Or would it just be to verify they are moving on their own?

I will have to do some research on copepods. I’ve never seen them before that I’m aware of, and I’m not sure where they would have come from... or what to do about them, if anything.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
peddidle said:
That’s as close up as I can get. I really didn’t think my camera was all that bad until I started trying to take pictures of things in my aquariums, lol.

They’re super tiny and definitely move—bouncing around at times like tiny fruit flies might (obviously not fruit flies, though, lol). If I’m able to catch one, what should I try to do with it? Or would it just be to verify they are moving on their own?

I will have to do some research on copepods. I’ve never seen them before that I’m aware of, and I’m not sure where they would have come from... or what to do about them, if anything.
I would be looking at the movement. The way they move makes me think copepods. Usually you see them when the tank is new. When was your set up?

Snarbleglarf

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had no idea where mine came from either when I saw them in my saltwater aquarium, I used live rock so I assumed it came from there but I also used stability to help cycle my aquarium would see if it’s something that’s common with the use of stability. In any case if it is in fact copepods they are nothing but beneficial for your tank, the fish you put in there will actually graze on them through out the day giving them an extra nutrition source

OP
peddidle

peddidle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CichlidJynx said:
I would be looking at the movement. The way they move makes me think copepods. Usually you see them when the tank is new. When was your set up?
They are very jumpy/jolty in their movement. The tank has been cycling for over 2 weeks but as of yesterday, it was still stuck at the same ammonia level without any nitrites yet. I added the second dose of Stability since then and will retest later today before adding the third dose.

Snarbleglarf said:
I had no idea where mine came from either when I saw them in my saltwater aquarium, I used live rock so I assumed it came from there but I also used stability to help cycle my aquarium would see if it’s something that’s common with the use of stability. In any case if it is in fact copepods they are nothing but beneficial for your tank, the fish you put in there will actually graze on them through out the day giving them an extra nutrition source
I’m planning on only putting a single male betta in the tank. The little bit of research I’ve been able to do this afternoon seems to indicate betta fish are not that great at eating them. Any idea if a Nerite snail would eat them? I’ll continue to research throughout the day (I’m technically ‘working’ right now, but a home office makes it easy to get distracted with things like ‘white bouncy stuff in my tank,’ lol).

sfsamm

Well Known
Reaction score
Looks and sounds like copepods they are harmless and your betta will enjoy hunting them down for you if they don't die off while you prep. D cycle the tank.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
It is amazing how many microscopic creatures we observe in our tanks. I truly do not think this is something to be overly concerned about. I enjoyed seeing all the different tiny creatures that showed up while my tanks were cycling. I was actually kinda sad when I no longer saw any of them. I didn't have any that bounced in the water like these. Could they possibly be seed shrimp? Most of what I saw were mostly crawling on the glass.

Snarbleglarf

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
peddidle said:
They are very jumpy/jolty in their movement. The tank has been cycling for over 2 weeks but as of yesterday, it was still stuck at the same ammonia level without any nitrites yet. I added the second dose of Stability since then and will retest later today before adding the third dose.

I’m planning on only putting a single male betta in the tank. The little bit of research I’ve been able to do this afternoon seems to indicate betta fish are not that great at eating them. Any idea if a Nerite snail would eat them? I’ll continue to research throughout the day (I’m technically ‘working’ right now, but a home office makes it easy to get distracted with things like ‘white bouncy stuff in my tank,’ lol).
Oh I know that problem all to well lol, I constantly get distracted by my tanks but from what I’m seeing online, Nerite snails are detritivors and herbivores so I don’t think they will eat the copepods but you could try a shrimp in there and he should eat it. I had my betta with some shrimp and they got along fine but it depends on the betta on if he will tolerate having a shrimp as a tank mate, I recommend Amano since they get larger or ghost shrimp because they would be harder for the betta to see

New Threads