What are these white growths on the Tetra's fin?

TacomaToker
This Skirt tetra developed some white spots on her fins, looks like it could be Ich. I don’t see any major white spots on other fish, some tiny white spots possibly but nothing as easy to see as this tetra. Should I move this one into a QT with salt? Or should I just start by raising the temperature in this current tank?
B13FE5F9-F8B9-4E10-8D25-FAB97BA596B4.jpeg
8444DD53-736B-4CE0-9588-CDB69829758B.jpeg

A201
IMO, bump the temp up to 86 - 87 degrees in the primary tank & keep it there for at least 10 days.

TacomaToker
IMO, bump the temp up to 86 - 87 degrees in the primary tank & keep it there for at least 10 days.

86-87? I got red rainbows, the skirt tetras, panda corys, and ottos. I would be worried about the ottos at those temperatures, is that not too high?

A201
Ick stops reproducing at 85 degrees & starts dying at 89 degrees.
Increase the aeration of the water during the heat treatment.

TacomaToker
Ick stops reproducing at 85 degrees & starts dying at 89 degrees.
Increase the aeration of the water during the heat treatment.

Gotcha, thanks. Do you advise gravel vac'ing during this time?

A201
A small WC every other day. Thoroughly gravel vac. Good luck.

TacomaToker
A small WC every other day. Thoroughly gravel vac. Good luck.

Do you think the ottos will be okay at 86 degrees for 10 days? Their upper limit is 78 degrees..

It doesen't look like Ich. It's more of just 2 white spots on this one Tetra's fins. They often nip at each other during the chase of breeding in the early morning. I think the white spots developed after I overfed the tank on Repashy, causing a very small ammonia spike last week. No other tetras are showing visible signs like this one. I went to go raise the tank temperature this morning since I thought it may be Ich, but really doesn't look like it at closer inspection. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

8444DD53-736B-4CE0-9588-CDB69829758B.jpeg
B13FE5F9-F8B9-4E10-8D25-FAB97BA596B4.jpeg

DoubleDutch
Uhhhh I don't see spots that.look like Ich.

A201
Sometimes cloudy fins are the first sign of a parasitic infestation.

DoubleDutch
Sometimes cloudy fins are the first sign of a parasitic infestation.
Or of a bacterial infestation. In that case you won't raise the temp. I'd personally only use that method if the Ich-diagnose is 100%.

I'd start to do daily waterchanges first.

Atomicfish
It is really hard to tell. It could be just how the fish is or battle wounds.

TacomaToker
Or of a bacterial infestation. In that case you won't raise the temp. I'd personally only use that method if the Ich-diagnose is 100%.

I'd start to do daily waterchanges first.

How long do I need to do Daily water changes for? The guppies fins are getting worse by the day now. Look at this Guppy today, his fins weren’t nearly that bad 2 days ago.

77612E25-BBEE-4016-A79F-97AC85C4489A.png

TacomaToker
I think this is a fungal infection and fin rot. You can use api fin and body cure and general cure. You can use api furan-two if needed.

Already tried every medication: Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Ich-X, and Paracleanse (same as general cure). Just keeps getting worse. Did a 50% water change tonight. Will try to keep doing 50-75% per day here for the next week. It's hard to make time for a large water change every single day, but my fish have suffered long enough :/

DoubleDutch
The warerchanges werw meand for the first stage (on the tetra).

Are the fish flashing ?

Redshark1
This is a water quality issue.

Nippy fish often damage fins and bacteria will attack the damaged tissues, also healthy tissues in extreme cases.

Completely reversible with good water and husbandry.

Don't overstock
Don't overfeed (1 flake per fish per day)
Optimum temperature
Good filtration
Good oxygenation
Low to medium flow
Quality food
No bullying
Ample cover for security
Correct water conditions for the fish being kept e.g. pH, hardness, no extremes.
Make it your mission to keep improving all the time while you are in the hobby

TacomaToker
This is a water quality issue.

Nippy fish often damage fins and bacteria will attack the damaged tissues, also healthy tissues in extreme cases.

Completely reversible with good water and husbandry.

Don't overstock
Don't overfeed (1 flake per fish per day)
Optimum temperature
Good filtration
Good oxygenation
Low to medium flow
Quality food
No bullying
Ample cover for security
Correct water conditions for the fish being kept e.g. pH, hardness, no extremes.
Make it your mission to keep improving all the time while you are in the hobby

Everyone tells me all that’s needed is clean water but I’ve been battling this for 2 months, when the guppies had their fins nipped in their old tank by larger fish. I moved them into the smaller tank with zebra danios and they immediately developed rot. 2 months ago I tried about 2 weeks of continuous water changes, it still kept getting worse. So I tried all the medications, still keeps getting worse. So I’ve pretty much given up and gone back to weekly 50% water changes. This week I’ve done about 4 75% water changes in 6 days. It’s gotten really bad this week. The guppies now have stringy poop, and are starting to die. I have no idea what to do now. I can only spend so much of my life trying to correct this tank.

F079F5CC-3A87-4FF5-AA80-E00B22A02597.png

Redshark1
While I understand your frustration don't complain to me you've been battling away for only two months. I've been battling away for 50 years buddy!

I imagine its a skill that some people already have, some people acquire through hard work and dedication and some people never achieve.

Like having green fingers - growing houseplants for instance.

I think I qualify for the middle category. It wasn't easy.

Good luck anyway. I don't have better advice than what I already gave. You'll work it out one way or another.

TacomaToker
While I understand your frustration don't complain to me you've been battling away for only two months. I've been battling away for 50 years buddy!

I imagine its a skill that some people already have, some people acquire through hard work and dedication and some people never achieve.

Like having green fingers - growing houseplants for instance.

I think I qualify for the middle category. It wasn't easy.

Good luck anyway. I don't have better advice than what I already gave. You'll work it out one way or another.

I don’t know what you’re babbling on about. If you’ve been battling fin rot for 50 years, you should probably just give up.

if you have any advice for the tank, I’ll happily take it. Thanks.

DoubleDutch
Everyone tells me all that’s needed is clean water but I’ve been battling this for 2 months, when the guppies had their fins nipped in their old tank by larger fish. I moved them into the smaller tank with zebra danios and they immediately developed rot. 2 months ago I tried about 2 weeks of continuous water changes, it still kept getting worse. So I tried all the medications, still keeps getting worse. So I’ve pretty much given up and gone back to weekly 50% water changes. This week I’ve done about 4 75% water changes in 6 days. It’s gotten really bad this week. The guppies now have stringy poop, and are starting to die. I have no idea what to do now. I can only spend so much of my life trying to correct this tank.

View attachment 733349

Not want to be rude TT, but let's be fair.
Sorry to say but isn't this "changing the rules when the game is played"

Please reread your initial post. There is not any info about the timespan, the other symptoms, the meds being used and other fish with issues.

I've said the spots on the tetra don't look like Ich to me and not to use anti Ich meds but maybe to do waterchanges instead in case.of a bacterial issue (waterquality)

Then in later posts you start giving info about all the meds used , the timespan and the other problems you've encountered earlier.

Advises only can be based on the info given and not on the info given afterwards.
If one doesn't tell the whole story, advises are based on nothing.

I get your frustration but I think it isn't fair to point your frustration on the members that took the effort to give advises based on info that appears only to be a small part of the problems you're facing.

TacomaToker
Not want to be rude TT, but let's be fair.
Sorry to say but isn't this "changing the rules when the game is played"

Please reread your initial post. There is not any info about the timespan, the other symptoms, the meds being used and other fish with issues.

I've said the spots on the tetra don't look like Ich to me and not to use anti Ich meds but maybe to do waterchanges instead in case.of a bacterial issue (waterquality)

Then in later posts you start giving info about all the meds used , the timespan and the other problems you've encountered earlier.

Advises only can be based on the info given and not on the info given afterwards.
If one doesn't tell the whole story, advises are based on nothing.

I get your frustration but I think it isn't fair to point your frustration on the members that took the effort to give advises based on info that appears only to be a small part of the problems you're facing.

The post is completely convoluted because the tyrant moderators will not let me post a new thread. They refuse to let me post a separate thread for each tank, so I am stuck trying to explain 2 tanks in the same thread. This thread was posted to determine whether the tetras in the 45 gallon had Ich. We've determined its not, and I've since determined the problem is viciousness/nipping while they spawn, so thats a separate issue. Happily taking advice on that issue.

The guppy tank is a 20 gallon. Guppies got nipped when they lived in the 45 gallon with rainbows, so I switched them with the tetras. Now the tetras live in the 45 gallon, guppies in the 20. The nipped guppies immediately developed fin rot after being moved, and that spread to the zebra danios in the tank, who now have rotting fins as well. That was in July, and I've been trying to keep near perfect water since then. Didn't work. Tried all the meds, only made it worse. One of the guppies developed stringy poop during med treatment and passed away last week, now another one has stringy poop. The tank is totally out of control and you cannot fault me for being frustrated when redshark is telling me "well buddy, some people got the touch and some don't! sorry and good luck!". I have only been fish keeping for a few months, why would someone with 50 years experience say something like that?!

Coradee
It’s this ‘tyrant’ mod that has merged several of your threads.
If you made the title of your threads more clear as to which tank & fish it refers to then misunderstandings wouldn’t occur, cross posting on the threads also confuses the issue further so you really can’t blame a ‘tyrant’ mod for making a mistake, I am human (yes really ) not a mind reader.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GlennO
Top Bottom