What are these two plants (see pictures) ?

jake37

Member
Per subject here are two plants growing in my tank. I'm not sure what they are - one was purchased from the lfs but I failed to grab the name (the first picture). The second is something that melted in a different tank so I stuck it in the 20L and it is popping up everywhere but I can't figure out what it is - maybe it had a different form before it melted.
 

Ebreus

Member
The second pic reminds me of Stargrass. I've been tryin' to get ahold of some Stargrass but it doesn't ship well. It does have an immersed form and submersed form.
 
  • Thread Starter

jake37

Member
Could be but I never purchased stargrass. I did purchase some micro swords also I think I tossed some anacharis into the tank - does anacharis have a different form under certain situations ?

Ebreus said:
The second pic reminds me of Stargrass. I've been tryin' to get ahold of some Stargrass but it doesn't ship well. It does have an immersed form and submersed form.
I think that might be right - it does seem to have a rizone just at the edge of the substrate - maybe a bit lower than it should be - but it also has a lot more roots than most anubias (I've had in the past). Nice looking plant - pity I put it in the 20L; should have put it in the 120 under the dwarf lilly (since it handles low light).

Crispii said:
The first pic looks like Anubias afzelii.
 

Ebreus

Member
jake37 said:
Could be but I never purchased stargrass. I did purchase some micro swords also I think I tossed some anacharis into the tank - does anacharis have a different form under certain situations ?
I don't know. Pretty sure Anacharis needs to be submersed so I'm not sure about it having multiple forms.
 

Shreyawagle

Member
It looks like limnophila aromatica. It grows green under low light low tech. Check if it has thick stem. Star grass usually has a thin stem.
 
  • Thread Starter

jake37

Member
Doesn't look right - look at the ridges on the leaves. The bottom of the stem is thicker than I expected.

Shreyawagle said:
It looks like limnophila aromatica. It grows green under low light low tech. Check if it has thick stem. Star grass usually has a thin stem.
 

Shreyawagle

Member
jake37 said:
Doesn't look right - look at the ridges on the leaves. The bottom of the stem is thicker than I expected.

QUOTE="Shreyawagle, post: 4340335, member: 110995"]
It looks like limnophila aromatica. It grows green under low light low tech. Check if it has thick stem. Star grass usually has a thin stem.
[/QUOTE]
Limnophila aromatica has ridges.




My limnophila aromatica looks a lot like yours
 

johnbirg

Member
Hi, pretty sure that the second pic is hygrophilla. 1st is an Anubais.
 
  • Thread Starter

jake37

Member
Yea I have to agree it looks really similar. Does this plant have another name ? I just don't recognize that name as one of the plants I purchased - basically I put in a tank and it melted away so when I setup the 20L I took a little bit that was still alive and stuck it in there and it seems to be growing. I've read several articles on the name you provided Limnophila Aromatica/rice paddy and it doesn't match the name of anything I purchased.

Shreyawagle said:
Limnophila aromatica has ridges.
 

Shreyawagle

Member
jake37 said:
Yea I have to agree it looks really similar. Does this plant have another name ? I just don't recognize that name as one of the plants I purchased - basically I put in a tank and it melted away so when I setup the 20L I took a little bit that was still alive and stuck it in there and it seems to be growing. I've read several articles on the name you provided Limnophila Aromatica/rice paddy and it doesn't match the name of anything I purchased.
Well depending on the shop you bought from they can call it with different names. For eg. Hygrophila difformis in one of my lfs was also sold as aquatic rose plant. But the one I mentioned is the scientific name. So if you google it, you may be able to find something.
 
  • Thread Starter

jake37

Member
I did google and didn't find it - however you did nail it - the plant I purchased was called hygrophilia difformis - it had a different form above water than below - I purchased some stems that had the below water form (most of waht they had was above water form) but they looked slightly different. I actually think hygrophilia difformis is different than limnophila aromatica and perhaps it was mislabeled ? This stuff sure look a lot closer both in leaf shape and colour to your plant (it has that bit of red forming).

Thanks again.

Shreyawagle said:
Well depending on the shop you bought from they can call it with different names. For eg. Hygrophila difformis in one of my lfs was also sold as aquatic rose plant. But the one I mentioned is the scientific name. So if you google it, you may be able to find something.
 

Shreyawagle

Member
jake37 said:
I did google and didn't find it - however you did nail it - the plant I purchased was called hygrophilia difformis - it had a different form above water than below - I purchased some stems that had the below water form (most of waht they had was above water form) but they looked slightly different. I actually think hygrophilia difformis is different than limnophila aromatica and perhaps it was mislabeled ? This stuff sure look a lot closer both in leaf shape and colour to your plant (it has that bit of red forming).

Thanks again.
Hygrophila difformis was just an example. They are completely different plants. Might be mislabeled.
I will attach a link to the pic for hygrophila difformis.



Limnophila aromatica will turn purple-red under high light, high co2 and good amount of iron dosing
 
  • Thread Starter

jake37

Member
Yea I knew they were totally different but that is what the lfs had labelled it. You just jogged my memory. I have the stuff in a 20L with fluval 24 inch light - so it is getting a lot of light - the 20L only having 8 or 9 inches after substrate. No CO2 for this tank - there are root tabs in the tank - not going to fertilize with liquid - it was going to be a quarantine tank that I decided to throw in plants.

Shreyawagle said:
Hygrophila difformis was just an example. They are completely different plants. Might be mislabeled.
I will attach a link to the pic for hygrophila difformis.
Google Image Result for https://capricornaquarium.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/hygrophila-difformis-1.jpg
Google Image Result for https://s-na.ssl-s-amazon.com/s/I/51CpGA3I7eL._SX425_.jpg

Limnophila aromatica will turn purple-red under high light, high co2 and good amount of iron dosing
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom