What are these tiny creatures? Question

1. Lucky Guppy

Lucky Guppy Valued Member Member

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

Aliens. Definitely Aliens..

3. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

One of the many micro-organisms that grows as a result of detritus and stuff in the tank? That's my guess, I get all sorts of little buggers in my tank. Hopefully somebody can ID these specifically.

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Could be daphnia, they certainly seem to move like them though I have never seen them in my aquaria.

5. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Good video. I believe these are ostracods (also known as seed shrimp).

They often come in with daphnia when you use the latter as live food.

6. Koniucha

Koniucha Valued Member Member

The music in the video goes with this theory

7. OP
    OP
    Lucky Guppy

Lucky Guppy Valued Member Member

Thanks to Redshark1 and every one who replied, after looking up ostracods they seem to be one in the same tiny creatures i have. Now I can research it :;thx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QmSQYtju_8
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Research:

found on- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIKBTfz7ERM
    Chelle S
    I've just found 3 things in my tank that resemble little seeds I got them out with a cotton bud and squashed them and it broke into two, I googled what they could be and seed shrimp came up, never heard of them before, are they harmless? Is it a coincidence that 2 of my guppies have died in the past few days then I find these?.Btw the ones I found are darker than these ones.

Isaac Park
    ostracods prefer to eat unicellular bacteria and algae. some species have been observed eating away at soft bodied animals and almost all species will readily consume decaying matter. usually a boom in ostracod population would mean their food source (either bacteria, algae, or something dead in the water) is abundant. it is the sudden spike in population of bacteria that is a threat, because 1) it means nitrogen is readily available for specific bacteria in the form of ammonia, nitrates and nitrite. and 2) some bacteria require oxygen to exist and they make dissolved oxygen in the water less available to other high-oxygen demanding species like fish.usually, sudden spike in ostracod population is an indicator that some sort of unicellular organism is thriving in your tank, and that unicellular organism is another indicator that some nutrient (be it ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, carbon dioxide, etc. remember, many different types of bacteria exist that relies on a specific chemical food source) or another has also suddenly become available, which may harm your fish.

After finding out what these creatures were and doing a little research I came to the conclusion that they can possibly be harmful to fish :
    1. If they bloom in your tank and there isn't enough waste food for them and their young to eat that they begin to feed on the fish.
    2. That their "blooming" appearance in large numbers heralds a change in the water that may become toxic for the fish in some way, like bacteria bloom or oxygen depletion etc.

Moral of the story, ostracods "seed shrimp" are bad for guppies which would explain why they don't seem to eat it.
    More cleaning and frequent water changes.