What are these things?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by shusband, Aug 9, 2015.

1. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

Tiny shrimp like things that are covering my tank after I got back from vacation. Looks like it's snowing. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439150326.269974.jpg

2. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for awful picture. The are tiny and don't stop moving. Probably hundreds to thousands of them in my 10 gallon... Mosquito fish love it, but I'm concerned by there sudden appearance.

3. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Was someone else taking care of your tank while you were gone? Are the mosquito fish in with the white things?

Have you done a water change since you got home? The water looks rather cloudy. Do you have a filter running?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  4. SlugWell Known MemberMember

Look like some sort of Copepod.

5. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

Someone else was feeding. Haven't changed water yet, plan on doing it tonight or tomorrow morning. The mosquito fish and my swamp darter live in the tank with two crayfish.

6. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

That's what I was thinking slug but haven't ever seen Copepods in freshwater. A friend used to farm them in his sump when he kept a mandarin years back.

7. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Agree, id start out with a water change. Though mosquito fish might be ontop of it theyre tough.

8. Merri68Valued MemberMember

Did you put anything new in the tank before you left for vacation? Is your tank water's surface calm, and open enough that some flying insect might deposit eggs into the tank. How about new plants or a rock you found and thought pretty enough to put in the tank?

I know nothing about wiggly shrimpy looking things but a clear image might help some forum member to identify your sudden guests. Oh wait? Do they have legs at all that you can see or are they just wiggling blobs?

Do you have a smartphone with a magnification app? Perhaps if you fished one of the little critters out, put ut it on a contrasting background, and use the phone's magnify app to get a clear shot. If it shows well enough in an image someone might be able to ID it.

Hope it's not dangerous for your fish.

9. SlugWell Known MemberMember

They aren't crayfish larvae are they?

10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

They look like a bunch of scuds to me. Gammarus.

11. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

They could be crayfish. Visible legs. Don't have a magnification app. I'll check later. Hadn't added anything new to the tank in months, besides water. Tank has a pretty tight lid.

12. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

I think anders might be right

13. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

Harmful or just another thing for my fish to munch on?

14. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Something for your fish to munch on.

15. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Mosquitofish will try to much anything they can from what ve seen.

16. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

The mosquito fish sure are pigs. I'm glad that they are harmless. My friend keeping my fish must have over fed the tank and caused the scuds to reproduce rapidly. Still wondering how they got in there. Maybe hitch hiked on some of the plants I used to keep?

17. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Maybe..... probably.

18. shusbandWell Known MemberMember

Either way the scuds are under control. I vacuumed the gravel and got hundreds out and all of them in the water column were either removed by water change or eaten by the mosquito fish. I've only seen a handful since.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice