What are these things!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by fishcrazy99, Jul 22, 2015.

1. f

fishcrazy99 Well Known Member Member

I have had the baby tears plant in the window for over two weeks now. Today i noticed a ton of these little whiteish round things running around in it. What are they?? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437582520.506226.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437582536.056582.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Cold you try to get a better picture, or maybe find something on google that matches your description. I can't tell by the photos.

3. OP
    OP
    f

Here's a video. Im wondering if it is Daphina? If it is how do I continue to cultivate it and can all my fish eat it?
    [video=youtube;1XOWwPckQhc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOWwPckQhc&feature=youtu.be[/video]
    Also, is that algae at the bottom? Why is it only on the bottom and why is it so thick... just so you know a sugar ant or two might have been in the way but you can still see all the little swimming dots. I think I only saw one ant in the video

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    f

does the video help?

5. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

I see them not sure what they are maybe daphina because of the amount they are moving

6. vivelafish

vivelafish Valued Member Member

Do they look like any of these up close?

7. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

They're scuds. Amphipods for the more scientifically minded. Little crustaceans that like to live in the mulm at the bottom of the tank/pond/whatever.

The best thing you can do for them is few water changes, add a small piece of large pore sponge for them to breed in (alternatively, a handful of aquarium gravel) and just generally leave them alone. They are neat little guys. A small, low powered filter might benefit them and would reduce the need for water changes.

As for the "algae" at the bottom of your tank, it's not algae. It's mulm. Decaying plant matter, a little dirt, and apparently a bit of scud poop. :) I would leave it for now. Fertilize the plant a bit and give the scuds something to munch on.

FYI feeding them high protein food like a small cube of chicken, and high fiber food, will make them more nutritious should you choose to feed them to your fish.

8. OP
    OP
    f

I cant really see any details on them, their very small. They just look round and white and like they have legs or something towards their front. My boyfriend has a macro lens for his Pentax camera, i will have him bring it tomorrow

9. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Could be scuds or daphina, they feed on green water/inforusia. You can try to cultivate them, my Dad & Grandfather had tubs of green mucky water outside to cultivate them. Fish go nuts for them!

10. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Daphnia move in a jerky motion, those are not Daphnia. Scuds are shaped like a shrimp, those are not scuds.

They are Ostracods. The seemingly random movements are normal. They have two shell halves, similar to clams, but they are not closely related. The hard shells make them unpalatable to most fish, though a few cichlids have been observed to eat them when very hungry. I've seen them in a number of tanks with mulm in the bottom, usually with plants.

11. OP
    OP
    f

They do look a lot like ostracoda. Hopefully I will be able to get a close up tomorrow and we will know more. If it is something in edible I will need to know how to get rid of it. This plant was in QT for three weeks before moving it to the window.. how did they get there and why now? its not even my plant. I was plant sitting for a friend and she wants it back but I cant while its infected

12. chromedome52

Ostracods are pretty much harmless. They bloom in old tanks that haven't been cleaned properly for some time. I would not consider the plant "infected", as they are of no danger to anything.

13. E

:;rfro Market them as " Dancing Clams " :;laughing Remember " Sea Monkeys"

14. OP
    OP
    f

But it wouldnt be very nice to unleash these guys to breed uncontrolled into a tank

15. E

If the condition of the tank is not conducive to them, wont they naturally self limit/die off. They are interesting, to observe, admittedly I am a nerd.

16. OP
    OP
    f

Macro is here!
    [video=youtube;w5qv5cOkwI8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qv5cOkwI8&feature=youtu.be[/video]
    Ive also noticed detritus worms, nematodes, and copepods. This thing is brimming with life! So, Daphnia or ostracoda?
    rsz_imgp4343.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  17. OP
    OP
    f

Im thinking ostracoda

18. OP
    OP
    f

Anyone?

19. OP
    OP
    f

Could use an answer, i have to give this thing back to her tomorrow and i need to know if i should dump it or cultivate it

20. chromedome52

As I stated before, they are clearly Ostracods. Nothing to worry about.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice