What Are These Strange Blue Splotches?

tnrsmomma

I have had this guy for about a week now. He seemed healthy when I got him but the corys I bought with him were not and the lfs I bought them from is less than ideal. I treated the QT tank with Ich - X for a few days and did 2 doses of General Cure as a preventative. They are still in QT and the are now active and look great but the gouramI is getting these weird, darker blue splotches around his head. It started on what I would call his forehead and now there are some on the side of his head. I know for sure they weren't there when I brought him home cuz I took pictures. My tank lighting is **** and I know a lot of fish can fade/brighten/darken/change patterns based on stress, water quality, health and mood. Are these normal markings or is this a symptom of something concerning? I saw an FB post recently of someone whose blue gouramI developed brown spots that turned into hole in the head disease. These spots on mine are blue though, just darker than the rest of him and weirdly splotchy.

The first 3 pics are what what he looked like the day I brought him home. The rest are from today. I'm having a heck of a time getting a clear shot of the spots. If I manage a better one, I'll come back and add it.

Parameters as of before tonight's water change:
5g tank
Small sponge filter made for 10 gallon and a low flow hob
80°
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 30ish
Ph - 6.8
Kh - 2°/35.5ppm
Gh - 5°/89.5ppm

jinjerJOSH22

Three Spots change colour readily, it seems to reflect mood, when mine feed their colour is to die for. I'll try and get some pictures of it tomorrow. I wouldn't worry, unless it becomes very pale to the point it's spots lose colour.
More pictures will help, incase I missed something.

jinjerJOSH22

Completely forgot

tnrsmomma

My current hypothesis is that I wasn't feeding him enough and the spots were from stress. I think the sunken looking head was him getting skinny. I started to question if it was enough so I upped his feedings to 3 times a day instead of once. His coloring went back to normal by the second day and his face seems almost filled back out. After a few days of increased feedings I did a two dose treatment of general cure just to be on the safe side. He's about the same size as my betta, just taller, so I was feeding him just a bit more than I feed the betta. Apparently he has a much bigger appetite. =(

DoubleDutch

After a few days of increased feedings I did a two dose treatment of general cure just to be on the safe side.

Safe side of what? Sorry to say but please don't treat if there is no need.

TWiG87

I’m glad he is doing better. Just be careful you don’t over feed him. I would cut back to two feedings a day if you haven’t already

tnrsmomma

DoubleDutch said:
After a few days of increased feedings I did a two dose treatment of general cure just to be on the safe side.

Safe side of what? Sorry to say but please don't treat if there is no need.
I definitely hear what you're saying. Each of these situations is so new to me and I've never seen any of these fish diseases in person until it happens. So far I've only dealt with ich. With this guy I couldnt tell if it was stress related color change or the start of hole in the head disease. Depending on the light, the spots looked brown or navy blue. I'm a worrier and it's really hard to wait for a condition to get worse and worse till I can blatantly see that it is x disease or y fungus. I avoid unnecessary meds with my humans and furry pets. I will find the balance with the fish eventually.

tnrsmomma

TWiG87 said:
I’m glad he is doing better. Just be careful you don’t over feed him. I would cut back to two feedings a day if you haven’t already
Will do, thanks

DoubleDutch

tnrsmomma said:
I definitely hear what you're saying. Each of these situations is so new to me and I've never seen any of these fish diseases in person until it happens. So far I've only dealt with ich. With this guy I couldnt tell if it was stress related color change or the start of hole in the head disease. Depending on the light, the spots looked brown or navy blue. I'm a worrier and it's really hard to wait for a condition to get worse and worse till I can blatantly see that it is x disease or y fungus. I avoid unnecessary meds with my humans and furry pets. I will find the balance with the fish eventually.
You definitely will !!!

The biggest moneymaker for aquabrands is "panic and fear".

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom